Car paint repairs

B725

Do we have any professional car paint sprayers on board PW

I have had a small paint repair done on my car as there was a small amount of paint bubbling on the rear inner wheel arch. The cost was £240 and completed on the 27th of August despite the car not going anywhere it is bubbling back up, I have taken back today just to be told we could not garrentee it as it was corrosion. Surely this should have lasted for quite a while if done correctly. I ended up emailing the head office who have said they will look into it, as you may appreciate I'm not happy with it only lasting a week.

11 minutes ago, B725 said:

Do we have any professional car paint sprayers on board PW

I am not a professional, but I have had a few jobs done over the years.  This is what I believe;

1. If the bubble is surface based on the outside (such as from a stone chip) it should be possible to clean back to fresh metal and paint - and be long lasting as a repair.
  2. If the bubble is caused by corrosion coming through from behind, then the whole area has to be 'cut out' to solid clean metal and replaced before repainting.

The bottom line is that if you don't get back to bare clean metal - then refinish properly - then it will return.  Years of living with 1970s and 1980s cars taught me that!

To be honest its been in their body shop longer than I have had it, I was expecting 3or4 months at least. It seems like you just can't trust anyone anymore.

I will for the time being console myself with a nice thick rib eye steak and home made banoffe pie for my tea tonight.

39 minutes ago, team tractor said:

@crossy 666 is the best sprayer I know . 
any ideas Kev 

We would say about 12/18 months it might start to creep back out unless you go for the chopping out option and welding in new metal and give the customer the options and 2 prices. Most of the time it’s coming from the back out wards so just sanding the outside down and put fresh paint over the top never going to work. 

16 minutes ago, B725 said:

You would not expect to see it in just over a week. 

No , you shouldnt.

I paint cars, and have done for 36 years.
If I told a customer their rust would be back within a week or 2 , they would quite rightly not use me , or go elsewhere.

Work has to be of a standard fit for charging the money for, and if they cannot guarantee that work, they shouldnt undertake it, or make sure it is VERY CLEAR , that it will not last very long at at all.
In this case I would advise the customer he would be wasting his money, and alternatives offered, including not bothering.

Next stop would be trading standards for me.

They normally give a three year garentee for the work, they did say they will not garentee it but offered no alternative repair but you would have expected a few months. I have contacted head office and they have promised to look into it and get back to me. I also contacted the AA legal advice and they told me they cannot just say we won't garentee it, something about the consumer rights act 2015 and the repair centre should provide service with reasonable care and skill , which includes wether or not a course of action is suitable. For the moment I have to wait for a response from the head office before taking it further. 

Unfortunately for you its a manufacturer’s issue, you’ll get you money back on this occasion but the rot is quite literally set in. It’s not going to stop. I’ve dealt with similar issues with BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Audi, Volkswagen and Vauxhall To name a few. There’s a lot of vehicles with recycled steel problems about, the french seemed to have escaped due to their thorough zinc dip process. Still **** electrics though. 
The re finishers have done their best but the war was won with the mug who bought the Recycled steel designated to build the vehicles many years before.

On 10/09/2020 at 12:22, B725 said:

You would not expect to see it in just over a week. 

Can you remember that gold Mercedes ML that I went up to the "Castle" in ?

I took it to a paint shop as it had blemishes around the wheel arches and on the doors. Chap said "don't bother youth it will be back in a few weeks if I paint it" so I just left it.