Baldies and hats

Townie

I have as much hair as a billiards ball on top and wear a variety of hats throughout the year.

I like a flat cap for shooting but the problem is, particularly early in the season when it’s warm, that my sweaty head leaves the inside of the cap smelling a bit less than fresh after a while. I pulled it out of my shooting coat pocket this week and it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Any ideas? It’s a tweed one and not washable.

PS Personal hygiene is up to scratch, as confirmed by Mrs T.

47 minutes ago, Townie said:

I have as much hair as a billiards ball on top and wear a variety of hats throughout the year.

I like a flat cap for shooting but the problem is, particularly early in the season when it’s warm, that my sweaty head leaves the inside of the cap smelling a bit less than fresh after a while. I pulled it out of my shooting coat pocket this week and it wasn’t a pleasant experience.

Any ideas? It’s a tweed one and not washable.

PS Personal hygiene is up to scratch, as confirmed by Mrs T.

😂 I have a similar problem With a particular cap I’ve had for years. Not so much the sweaty bit but the fact that it’s got wet many times, and sometimes it doesn’t get dried properly so takes on a musty aroma which I don’t like. I was thinking about going down the Febreze route as like yours, it can’t be washed. 

My Mrs soaks my flat woolen cap in the bowl with warm water and washing powder.

She has done it a fair few times and it doesn't seem to have harmed it over the last 15-20 years.

Edited to say I have two newer ones but still reach for the old one.

Edited by harrycatcat1
Additional information

get one of those bags that they use for pet bedding that you can put in the washing machine, I got a smallish one from the 'bay for I think £2.99p, they also use them to protect delicates, washed my non washable barbour tweeds at 30 degrees no problem, spun dried and hung out to dry, need to give the heavily soiled areas a bit of attention beforehand as 30 is a cool wash

Why can't you wash tweed? My family were worsted spinners for near on one hundred years and from the raw wool to the finished yarn was washed a number of times. Sheep don't shrink in the rain do they? No! It's just that you have to wash tweed, or wool, at a very low temperature unless it is what is known as "superwash wool". And dry it again at either a low temperature or in the wind and the sun. Wash your tweed cap in cold water with a good lather of a soap powder or soap liquid suitable for use with wool and you should not have an issue. 

Edited by enfieldspares