Magic cure?

harrycatcat1

Has anyone found a magic cure for migraines yet? I have suffered them for 18 years and I still find that there is no real rhyme or reason why they come.

I have triggers like dark chocolate and salmon that are guaranteed to give a migraine so I avoid them.

I had a migraine come on this afternoon and it is starting to subside but it luckily wasn't particularly bad to be honest but sometimes they can last days.

I have had Sumatripan but can't take them now because they reverse the effects of my angina tablets. I recently tried CBD but that didn't seem to do anything. 

I feel better now having a moan, very therapeutic 🤣🤣🤣

If you have found a cure like standing on one leg for ten minutes or something please let me know. 

All the best Hcc

I have had them since I was in my early teens, back then they dropped me and I was sick and nauseaus for hours, I still have them now 70 years later but only the wiggly eyes and a headache if I don't take a couple of Anadin as soon as they start. Wherever I am I pull my cap over my eyes to shut out the light, find a comfortable spot and lay down for a while and in about 45 mins to an hour the symptoms go but I feel like someone hit me with a 4x2 for the rest of the day.  A flashing light or sun can set it off but sometimes they occur for no real reason not linked with that or anything I have eaten/drunk.  I'm lucky they are not too serious as I know some people get laid up for a day or two.  I have not discovered any way to stop them.

My mother used to suffer really bad and regularly and she had her inner ear pierced, called a daith piercing. Hasn’t had a migraine since having the piercing done.

I suffer with them when I get stressed, however don’t fancy the inner ear piercing because of the work I do. If I get them more regularly I’ll probably reconsider

16 minutes ago, djrwood said:

My mother used to suffer really bad and regularly and she had her inner ear pierced, called a daith piercing. Hasn’t had a migraine since having the piercing done.

I suffer with them when I get stressed, however don’t fancy the inner ear piercing because of the work I do. If I get them more regularly I’ll probably reconsider

I was going to recommend that kind of piercing. A friend had one five years ago now - she's in her fifties so it was quite a surprise style change, but then she explained. She says it has helped massively and she rarely gets a full on migraine now. 

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

I've had them for around 50 years or so.

The best tablets I've found are Migraleve.

The only other cure is a dark room, cool cloth on your forehead and sleep.

Dr gave me beta blockers once but they made me want to fight all the time.

Weird. I only took beta blockers once and they did the same to me, I felt invincible. I didn’t take them again. 

Won't do for you..But for me, a couple of squares of very dark chocolate and a glass of red wine...works for ordinary headaches as well....gone within half an hour...Yea, I know I'm odd..

Strangely a glass of red and dark chocolate cripples my sister with horrendous migranes..

Edited by GOLDCREST

7 hours ago, welsh1 said:

My Wife has been hospitalised with migrane in the past, she had them on a very regular basis, then a doctor put her on proprananol as a preventer and she very rarely gets one these days.

I have had proprananol and they worked for a few months but then they stopped.

I have a telephone appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask if I can try Amitriptyline.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

Try drinking more fluids. Dehydration is a well documented contributory factor. I haven't had a migraine for 15 years since upping my fluids.

I'm not talking about the3 litres per day nonsense put about by the water loonies, just one or 2 glasses or equivalent.

I do have lots of fluids and I agree that dehydration can cause headaches. 

As a sports massage therapist I have a few clients come to me for treatment for migraines. Most of them tend to live stressy lives and are as tight as a drum round the neck and shoulders. 

Chiropractic treatment for migraines tends to rely on the pain gate theory rather than any "adjustment" they do.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I have had proprananol and they worked for a few months but then they stopped.

I have a telephone appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I am going to ask if I can try Amitriptyline.

I do have lots of fluids and I agree that dehydration can cause headaches. 

As a further to my previous comment there be very careful with amitriptyline. And if it's prescribed for you just make sure it's explicitly put down as a migraine treatment. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and you wouldn't want to have any awkward questions from an FEO if they see on your medical records that you are/were taking an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication.

I actually got questioned by a pharmacist when I went to pick some up after having it prescribed as part of my IBS treatment, one of its less known or possibly side effects is it can act as a muscle relaxant, possibly why it may work for migraines along with the anti anxiety properties.

8 hours ago, Rob85 said:

As a further to my previous comment there be very careful with amitriptyline. And if it's prescribed for you just make sure it's explicitly put down as a migraine treatment. Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant and you wouldn't want to have any awkward questions from an FEO if they see on your medical records that you are/were taking an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication.

I actually got questioned by a pharmacist when I went to pick some up after having it prescribed as part of my IBS treatment, one of its less known or possibly side effects is it can act as a muscle relaxant, possibly why it may work for migraines along with the anti anxiety properties.

Yes it is suggested for migraines but I will say that it is for reoccurring migraines.  Thanks 

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

I put on 1 stone within a few weeks, could hardly keep my eyes open, so tired and did i want to fight 🤔 Wow, don't even speak in my direction or you'd get a slap. I had no idea,  my wife took me off it. 

Oh dear I've talked to the doctor and all she said was it could lower your blood pressure and make you drowsy so take it before you go to bed 😟😟

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Oh dear I've talked to the doctor and all she said was it could lower your blood pressure and make you drowsy so take it before you go to bed 😟😟

Different people differant reactions,  just read the side effects on the leaflet and ask your other half to monitor your moods and of course you'll know if you're getting fatter🤣🤣 your clothes will shrink.