Fallow deer shooting help

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the replies. 

Please close this thread

I am having problems with the falllow deer - so anyone interested in helping please let me know.

Essentially I am helping out a farmer with the deer problem

It is just the fallow deer which need to be controlled - I have only moved here recently from Devon so I am familiar with roe deer but fallow deer are pretty much new to me - therefore need a kind helping hand.

Currently the problem is large numbers but majority seem to be does. Having trying to be reducing the buck but only had 3 this season. Each evening group of does coming across groups between 2 - 15. No buck! Obviously though I got the bucks but does have young so they are still there, but where I do not know. 

Many thanks

Daniel

Edited by xxxwazzupxxx
No more replies required

5 minutes ago, xxxwazzupxxx said:

Hi everyone

I am having problems with the falllow deer - so anyone interested in helping please let me know.

Essentially I am helping out a farmer with the deer problem on the Ashdown Forest, Sussex.

It is just the fallow deer which need to be controlled - I have only moved here recently from Devon so I am familiar with roe deer but fallow deer are pretty much new to me - therefore need a king helping hand.

Currently the problem is large numbers but majority seem to be does. Having trying to be reducing the buck but only had 3 this season. Each evening group of does coming across groups between 2 - 15. No buck! Obviously though I got the bucks but does have young so they are still there, but where I do not know.

Have built 2 x high seats, maybe get a buck every 2 weeks but that is it.

Farmer not happy because of damage caused. 

Please anyone with with experience with fallow come out with me to the shoot the bucks. Can you call them in or something - I dont know as used to roe and their behviour is different.

Sorry to put restrictions but please only message if

1: you are experienced with relevant insurance

2: Venison is shared with me and the farmer

3: You are willing to come and shoot the deer and help increase my learning

I have had local advice but they say wait until novemeber and shoot the does - but there are so many even if I was to do every week I dont think I would make difference. Also if there is a stag is great condition I want to leave him as would like any new bambis to be healthy. So trophy hunters need not apply.

Unfortunately I am not paying you for this - in turn I can offer you decent shooting in Devon and Cornwall - however this is row deer, pigeon (but for good bags of 100+ needs to be April when peas and planted etc, harvest may only get you 20 - 60 and this time of year onward is intermittent.

Please add a message if you feel you are able to help

Many thanks

Daniel

Welcome Daniel. I have 45+ years experience with all species of Deer especially Fallow. Unfortunately Fallow are tricky to control due to (1) a herding species ( 2) they travel/move around a lot (3) to much pressure they go nocturnal.

A lot of time and effort goes into proper Deer management along with having the right equipment. When i was culling ( wild free ranging Fallow ) 250-350 each season the trick was ( in my case fully equipped quad ) when you get chance wack as many as you can ( in SEASON ) the Doe's  i aimed singled handed to shoot min 10 a day preferably 15 very dedicated hard work. Males/Bucks get after them 1st August but be more controlled eg shoot uneven Pricket's leave any even and above the ears Bucks are more tricky but any one antlered bad fish tail wack them . It will take a lot of effort and time but your efforts will be rewarded BUT you must be in a position to handle shooting dealing with multiple carcasses. I'm not local but travel each season to help a mate cull Fallow not far from you. I'd be more than willing to try and help you  on your journey. Please just don't through frustration lack of results get tempted to wack em after Dark.

Thank you for such an informative post.

Very appreciated and looking to find someone experienced like yourself.

Obviously this is why I am asking for help - and of course nice to meet like minded people.

I do see bucks but they are going along the road side and even in the farmers garden and his neighbours (who say shoot the *******) but due to responsibility I dont want to shoot near roads or houses.

Its just how i can pull them towards me,

Dan

Unfortunately Dan that's the way of Fallow really frustrating. Look for regular  Racks ( deer paths ) put some Trail Camera's up try to build a picture up of their coming and goings . If you have woods or wood edges look for scapes as shortly the Pricket's will start opening Rutting stands before the Big Fellows arrive to rut normally second week of October onwards. This time of year female groups with have a male or two with them small ones or Pricket's look between legs under neath for pisle shape colour of neck position of ears with practice all of these will find you a inseason shootable Deer. Personally i don't believe in feeding Deer to shoot but use experience effort and hard work. I 100% understand your frustration as i controlled mainly Fallow with a good herd of Red Deer numerous Muntjac on a 14000 acres estate for 14 years and trust me it was Hard and frustrating from 1st August till 1st November with Does just laying wandering around saying ha ha out of season pre rut the table started turning by the end of rut females inseason game on hit them hard if the shot is safe be prepared and set up to shoot 3-4-5-6 ------ from a group back to larder grolloch clean up back out after them make every chance count.

I regularly shoot them in gardens tennis courts in fact a week ago whilst talking to a farmer a Pricket 5 does 4 youngsters  walked in to his back garden and started munching . I lent into took rifle from case loaded rifle went into his kitchen window open shot the Pricket. Just my advice talk to neighbors farmers friends etc let them know you are doing the Deer control if the shot is safe the Deer legal fill your boot just to be clear I'm in know way encouraging drive by's from the road side.

Edited by 6.5x55SE

• 1 year later...