Better Wednesday

Newkid

So got set up about 12ish after forgetting my seat so ended up sitting on the Forresters spare wheel all day 🤦🏻‍♂️Started of really bad with some terrible misses then a Woody broke my duck not that there’s many over there being it’s a dairy farm I’ve seen a few coming back to roost In very small numbers so thought I’d put some enforcers out to try and tempt one or two in. The Corvids were coming in thick and fast as the cows were in the next field as you can see at the start of the video which is always a good sign but slowed right down when they went in for milking at around 2ish so ended the day with 7 picked up plus one Woody that stayed in that thorn bush it ended up in Hope you enjoy watching atb Dean 

Enjoyed watching your video, your setup looks good, perhaps if you put a few more decoys out you might do better.:whistling:

There were a couple of shoots that looked like they were only a few yards away and although you were not on target when you pulled the trigger, at that range I thought they may have caught the edge of the pattern, but they flew off untouched, what cartridge, choke combination are you using?

To me those cartridges are a little bit of an overkill at those ranges, I would be looking at 1oz of 6s or 7s (7.5 maybe) those chokes are open enough but for some reason and it might be the video, on some of the birds it looks like you are not following the bird or anticipating its flight path, good example is 50s in, your first shot is high and a touch behind, your second shot is way behind and way low, mind you the bird 2.08 in was lucky, you looked bang on (red dot).

Think when you start to connect and you get a few kill images imprinted in your head you should start to kill more birds.

Just to add the point on cartridges, I regularly shoot blacks with 28g 7.5s its surprising the amount of pellets that strike the bird at 25-30 yards, ok you might be pushing it at 40-50 yards with 7.5s but I have killed some long bird with 7.5s if I can place the bird in the middle of the pattern.

Good luck and keep at em. :good:

It's easy to pass judgement, but pretty well everything you missed you over led ! Often you had a good line but just too much lead.

Those birds had little speed and had you been a foot in front of the beak you would have had most of  them centre pattern.

It's all about timing, not rushing the shot and using the time you have to plan the shot.

Nothing wrong with true cyl and imp.

Nice quartering away bird you had with the 2nd barrel.

With the cartridges you were using they should have little chance. You would better of using far lower cost cartridges and spend the rest on clay practice that simulate what you regularly shoot.

None of us get out as much as we like and of course its all about practice.

Good true to life, honest video - thanks for posting.

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Not sure I would agree that pretty well everything was missed in front, too much lead?

Sorry, I was referring to the closer birds and on some shots he stopped his swing, easily done.

At 3.06 and 4.33 you switched you shooting style to pull away- well almost and it worked! You picked up the bird, sort of locked on then slowly, (as the birds were also slow , which gave you more time, ) put on the required lead.

Pull away give your brain time to learn the line, rather than trying to shoot with maintained lead, which at the moment is causing you to waver around a lot and often move off line.

I use all 3 shooting styles depending on the shot, which comes with a lot of practice.

If you had access to land where you could get practice just with you and a friend, with a trap and an old 300 gallon steel oil tank that can easily be slid around to protect the trapper, you could replicate a lot of the shots you get shooting Corvids.

Your confidence would build and you could iron out a lot of faults and your shooting style will become smoother and more fluid.

Good luck.

Edited by Shotkam

Cracking video and thanks for posting. My little input, I am guessing you are shooting gun up and to make sure you are measuring your lead. Could I suggest you try gun down, say perhaps for the close bird's. It took me a lesson with a top shot to figure it out. Stock just under your armpit, mount and shoot in one movement, have confidence. It worked for me. Keep at it, it's all about enjoying yourself.