Welders 13amp fuse.

bornfree

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, they would require more than a 13 amp supply, if your using at home

Ive just bought a welder, exactly the same as this https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im-mig-150-20-150-150a-mig-welder-240v/17499?tc=MA4&ds_kid=92700055256569560&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqNCL-sfm6wIVQeR3Ch3NngX5EAQYAiABEgILj_D_BwE and its like new, in fact most of it hadn't been unpacked. But when I whack it up to high, it trips the fuse box in the house. Apparently, it might need a 16amp supply? I'm renting and cba getting a new supply put into the garage, is there anyway around it? 

Also annoying that it looks like a 150a which is why I bought it, buy its actually a 105 when you look closer 

5 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Ive just bought a welder, exactly the same as this https://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im-mig-150-20-150-150a-mig-welder-240v/17499?tc=MA4&ds_kid=92700055256569560&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqNCL-sfm6wIVQeR3Ch3NngX5EAQYAiABEgILj_D_BwE and its like new, in fact most of it hadn't been unpacked. But when I whack it up to high, it trips the fuse box in the house. Apparently, it might need a 16amp supply? I'm renting and cba getting a new supply put into the garage, is there anyway around it? 

Also annoying that it looks like a 150a which is why I bought it, buy its actually a 105 when you look closer 

Hello, that should work on 13 amp, a 105 amp mig, mine is 160 amp on 13 plug, the electrician will know what is required, 

14 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Apparently, it might need a 16amp supply? I'm renting and cba getting a new supply put into the garage, is there anyway around it? 

Yes, weld at lower setting.  Depending on your welder, unless you're doing thick stuff, you should be fine.

But no, there is really no way round it, you're asking 'can I cheat physics'.

A 16 amp caravan/CEEE form/Commando socket (whatever you call them) on its own dedicated circuit is the way to go.

Some might argue that an M6 bolt in the fuse on the plug top is perfectly safe, after all the fuse is there to protect the flex, not the device attached to it, every other plug design in the world has no fuse, and the recommended 16 A plug doesn't have a fuse in it either.  I personally couldn't possibly condone such a thing, however.

13 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Yes, weld at lower setting.  Depending on your welder, unless you're doing thick stuff, you should be fine.

But no, there is really no way round it, you're asking 'can I cheat physics'.

A 16 amp caravan/CEEE form/Commando socket (whatever you call them) on its own dedicated circuit is the way to go.

Some might argue that an M6 bolt in the fuse on the plug top is perfectly safe, after all the fuse is there to protect the flex, not the device attached to it, every other plug design in the world has no fuse, and the recommended 16 A plug doesn't have a fuse in it either.  I personally couldn't possibly condone such a thing, however.

The above plug in 13 amp male plug with appropriate 13 amp fuse with a trailing 16 amp female plug it the way to weld of std mains on a temporary basis . I would usually chose the cooker circuit or a dedicated outside circuit . 

I also keep half a dozen new 13 amp fuses in the truck . A modern inverter can manage 120 amp 3.2 mm electrode off this a small carry around mig .  Mostly you will trip out at the fuse box on starts but you definitely need those 13vamp plug fuses . 

Cotton Patch, Ark. —  Two local men were injured when their pick-up truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday morning. 
imageC95.JPG    Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center. 
     The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. 
     On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pick-up truck's headlights malfunctioned.  The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. 
     As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the 
headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded  eastbound toward the White River bridge. 
     After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. 
     Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but required surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken collar bone and was treated and released. 
     “Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his nuts off or we might both be dead,” Wallis said.
     Snyder said, “I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened.”

43 minutes ago, martinj said:
Cotton Patch, Ark. —  Two local men were injured when their pick-up truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on State Highway 38 early Monday morning. 
imageC95.JPG    Woodruff County deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday. Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center. 
     The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. 
     On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pick-up truck's headlights malfunctioned.  The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. 
     As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the 
headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded  eastbound toward the White River bridge. 
     After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. 
     Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident, but required surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken collar bone and was treated and released. 
     “Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston shot his nuts off or we might both be dead,” Wallis said.
     Snyder said, “I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how this accident happened.”

Mythbusters tested the "frog giggin" myth.

It starts at 6 minutes in.

Always used the foil paper out of fag packets wrapped around the blown fuse. Worked very well, even used to blow too if overloaded as the foil was very thin.

Suppose it's better than jamming the wires direct into the outlet with a screwdriver, I've seen that done a few times years ago.

Edited by figgy