FAC Holder robbed of firearm - Police Advice

arjimlad

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

I am surprised there’s not been more of this type of crime, or a lone shooter robed of their gun when out shooting, not a lot you could do if two guys approach you with knives, well there is one thing, but I doubt it would look good come renewal time.

I would definitely favour the shooting ground with people about - sod letting them know where you live.

This is why I don't advertise the fact that I shoot.  I don't hide the fact either, just keep a lowish profile. No mention of my shooting on social media or what guns I own etc. 

If I was making a private sale or was buying, I'd want it to be in a place where others were around, so a shooting ground by prior permission or at an RFD (even if there was a small fee to pay). 

Not in the UK unfortunately, firearms owners have to be very safe and cautious. No firearm is ever left loaded, so you are piling a knife on someone who is holding a metal tube. Also a lot of the men who shoot are elderly and unfit, many pensioners. I have always been told that if you have a firearm stolen you may to lose your license - doubling the distress. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-sussex-35657592

6 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Classic gun control network stats in that piece - claiming nearly 3000 lost including 730 shotguns, 86 rifles and 14 revolvers - a total of 830, so what were the other 2170 then? Also the piece is 8 years old so we're probably up to a million losses now!

48 minutes ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Classic gun control network stats in that piece - claiming nearly 3000 lost including 730 shotguns, 86 rifles and 14 revolvers - a total of 830, so what were the other 2170 then? Also the piece is 8 years old so we're probably up to a million losses now!

They count any component part and moderators as firearms for the stats. So the 2170 firearms unaccounted for will likely be made up of bolts that where kept separate from the rifle, spare shotgun barrels, moderators etc. Not to mention any air guns that are included in the statistics. Not sure if they would class deacts, blank firers etc

1 hour ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

Quite. And the stock photo chosen ( by the bbc?) to accompany the article is of CF handguns, which at the time had already been banned for over four years. 
I don’t know about the GCN, but the police count anything and everything from blank firers to toys and even biros and chair legs in statistics if it was even reported but not confirmed, as a suspected firearm.