Plant ID. JDog will be along shortly to identify..... or not.

Clodhopper

This afternoon JDog and I were sat up watching a flight one to some standing Beans when I need to answer the call of nature. Whilst stood against the hedge I noticed some fruit hangings from the branches of some variety of Prunus. They were they same size as a slow but were a yellow/green not too dissimilar to green guage. Having not seen them before I picked a couple and trotted off back to the plant identifier in chief, sure that he would tell me what they were. Shock horror, he could not identify them.Maybe it’s an age thing!

Anyway do any of the PW massive have a clue from my vague description? Unfortunately I did not get a photo.

As the flight line looked promising we are heading back to shoot tomorrow so I will get a photo then.

They are a green bullace. If really ripe the stone will come clean and they tast very sweet.  If you squeeze a ripe one it will pop open and the stone can be removed.   I have three trees and the only way we find to see if they are ripe is to shake the tree and the ones which fall are ripe.  Until ripe they are a bit tart to the taste.   About 3/4 inch diamter on average. They make delicious jam and excellent with vodka and a little brown sugar :good:

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

They are a green bullace. If really ripe the stone will come clean and they tast very sweet.  If you squeeze a ripe one it will pop open and the stone can be removed.   I have three trees and the only way we find to see if they are ripe is to shake the tree and the ones which fall are ripe.  Until ripe they are a bit tart to the taste.   About 3/4 inch diamter on average. They make delicious jam and excellent with vodka and a little brown sugar :good:

That sounds very much like them. Thanks for that Walker.👍

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Not bullaces then?

What Walker has just described matches what I had seen. Neither myself nor JDog had seen them before.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have never seen the blue/purple bullace down here in West Leicestershire either.  All I know is the green variety which I feel are more like a wild green gage. I also have a Golden Gage and they are a good 1 1/4 inches deameter and absolutely delicious.

My wife adores the green gage, everything has to be put on hold when they are ready so we can fill the freezer. Luckily they tend to be a little earlier than the rest of our plums and the dreaded Wasps are not in full flow feeding on them.🤬

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

My wife adores the green gage, everything has to be put on hold when they are ready so we can fill the freezer. Luckily they tend to be a little earlier than the rest of our plums and the dreaded Wasps are not in full flow feeding on them.🤬

Well thats the difference with the green bullace because they are about three weeks later.

I attach a photo of some Bullace vodka, Bullace whisky, one of the two demi-johns of sloe gin, plus some loose green bullace to enable Clodhopper to see whether his green bullace are the same.

Normally, I use demi-johns but the bullace were too big for the necks unlike damsons which fit OK. I therefore had to use Kilner jars for the bullace.

Also made damson vodka, morello cherry vodka which is maturing somewhere in the shed, along with various bottles of sloe and damson gin and morello cherry brandy all  somewhere in the shed dating from 2015 hidden, in order not to be drunk too early.

OB 

IMG_0759.JPG

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

I attach a photo of some Bullace vodka, Bullace whisky, one of the two demi-johns of sloe gin, plus some loose green bullace to enable Clodhopper to see whether his green bullace are the same.

Normally, I use demi-johns but the bullace were too big for the necks unlike damsons which fit OK. I therefore had to use Kilner jars for the bullace.

Also made damson vodka, morello cherry vodka which is maturing somewhere in the shed, along with various bottles of sloe and damson gin and morello cherry brandy all  somewhere in the shed dating from 2015 hidden, in order not to be drunk too early.

OB 

IMG_0759.JPG

Cannot seem to find an edit button since the new Forum format, but just to add that I included some blackcurrent cordial to give the bullace a bit of colour.

9 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Don't forget your 30ml bottle. :good:

😂😂

7 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB 

IMG_0759.JPG

Cannot seem to find an edit button since the new Forum format, but just to add that I included some blackcurrent cordial to give the bullace a bit of colour.

Thanks for the pictures. All those tipples sound very pleasant!

I have just returned from shooting a few pigeons where I saw those yellow fruits and I managed to get a photo comparing some of JDogs Bullace, a Sloe and the mystical yellow fruit. Thanks to all those that helped identify it for me.

69C96DB4-0A1A-4602-8724-DDDB65A35101.jpeg