Goshawk problems

Had a similar problem with sparrow hawks way back when and we hung some garden netting across the rides around the pens. Seemed to stem the problem and didn't break any rules. I found hanging stuff about seemed to deter. They are handsome birds, both sparrow hawks and goshawks.  Have enjoyed being present when a goshawk was flow to pheasants pointed then flushed by my dogs. Awesome.

6 hours ago, jall25 said:

Proper - full on Apex predator 

Amazing to watch and in my experience will only kill to eat - unlike the bloody buzzard that does it for fun !

Get some cover in your pens and get the radios on - move them each day to a different area 

I have seen them kill far more than they can eat.

Seem to scare the hell out off birds and they flap /clamp down, glossy was just walking round pen killing birds with its talons.

We built a new pen and had to abandon it after 3 years just could not stand the losses due to a gossy, plenty cover, CDs, kiddy's holigraphc windmills, reduced buzzard and sparrow hawk losses to almost nil. Couldn't do anything with the glossy, to make matters worse was a big ride next to pen so poults would not even hang about the wire and would not cross the ride even when walked back in.

The nieghbouring keeper had the same problem except birds so scared and stressed would hardly feed unless he was there.

Funny thing was bossy just targeted 1 off our pens and 1 of neighbours too

They do say a radio inside a bucket helps thou.

Know some keepers further east that used to have decent numbers of blackcock, when gossy numbers get up and if they find a lek it's not long until they've wiped it out.

Also the ammount of fence strikes goes throu the roof as birds flying in a blind panic into fences they never used to fly into.

Absolutely savage on them

Proper - full on Apex predator 

Amazing to watch and in my experience will only kill to eat - unlike the bloody buzzard that does it for fun !

Get some cover in your pens and get the radios on - move them each day to a different area 

Down here thats the Buzz - walks about killing one after another like its a game 

The Gos seem to have a more varied diet and to watch them smash crows and jackdaws is amazing