JSB Beast

the last engineer

A question on consistency.

i have been running a number of pellets through my AA S510 .177" with very good results.

favorite right now seems to be the JSB Heavy 10.34gr  actually put three on top at 66M.

tried the Beasts at 16.2gr, get 4 or 5 good shots and then they start shotgunning and spraying all over.

anyone had this experience? or know why this would happen? going to clean the barrel this weekend and start again with the heavies and see that all is working correctly, then select a few beasts of a glass plate.  not sure where to look so open to suggestions if any.

thanks in advance.

T.L.E. 

running 8.4's is not an option, i need to drop crows and maggies at 60/70 meters effectively with no error.

the 22 s510 ultra sporter is no issue, she is dialed in running 30+fpe running heavies

the Wolverine is lethal @70 fpe.  its streching the boundries of the 177 with the beasts giving me heartburn, may need to drop back to heavies only

Why do you think the lighter pellet isn't up to the job .? 

Energy retention ? 

Or accuracy ?.

I can tell you now that 8.4 grn exacts at 70 yds are very effective on birds and rabbits .

I launch mine between  910 and 930  fps 

If heavies give you the accuracy then use those as the excellent bc might help .

But the monsters and beasts are too heavy in every sense for a .177 gun .imo.

As these rabbits taken from 48 - 72 yds will attest 

IMG_20200911_210644.jpg

my ballistics may not be as accurate as yours my friend, i go on my actual results, the area i shoot has varying terrain where winds cross both ways.

i can control the heavy pellets better than the lighter, to many varying factors that stop me pulling the trigger, get closer i hear,,,, could do but open to elements more, i shoot from my deck.

it would be accuracy i need, not sure how much energy a lighter pellet would hold, i don't have many in stock for that reason, hope you understand my situation.

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Don't loose sight of what a .177 fac is for and what makes it so useful .if you run heavy 16 grn pellets through it you may as well use a .22 gun instead it will be more effective and efficient in every way .

as previous posts states i have the ultimate sporter R s510 in .22 and the Daystate wolverine in .25  bases are covered.

also have an older HW80 in 22 in case i run out of gas

😃😃

I think I do .

I'm a big fan of .177 fac .I find it usable out to 70 yds in still air and 50 in moving air ..

Its big advantage over the other cals  is its lower bc.  It means that it sheds its energy faster than .22 or .25 etc  both in flight and in quarry .this can mean safer fallout areas and more effective kills on some quarry (kill zone dependant ) .

Elevated shots are where the .177 shines 

if trying to buck the wind over open ground is what your trying  achieve then the .25 will be much more effective ..

Though I do find speed (not weight ) is the biggest factor in reducing wind drift . Obviously  a high bc will help too .

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

I think I do .

I'm a big fan of .177 fac .I find it usable out to 70 yds in still air and 50 in moving air ..

Its big advantage over the other cals  is its lower bc.  It means that it sheds its energy faster than .22 or .25 etc  both in flight and in quarry .this can mean safer fallout areas and more effective kills on some quarry (kill zone dependant ) .

Elevated shots are where the .177 shines 

I agree with you on my favorite gun and cal  Air Arms build a great platform in the S510 extra FAC, only fault i have is not regulated (yet) and power selection is dial up, the Ultimate is power level positive click giving perfect consistent selection.

backyard friendly, powerful, accurate and energy retention.

on your recommendations i will purchase a few lighter pells, do you have a favorite ? 

So I use a bsa scorpion se at 16.5 fpe. And use jsb exact 4.53  .

My mate has also has a scorpion but preferes the 10.3 grn heavies around 16 fpe .both give out standing performance , and will group around an inch at 70 yds when the conditions allow .

Air arms  (lw barrels ) tend not to like the 4.53 head sizes-   so I've heard  .stick to the 4.51 or 4.52 mm exact or air arms field pellets (4.52 ) .

Now I've chased and tried to find a better pellet for my gun and some have come close but the exacts win every time for accuracy and energy retention .

Also worth trying are the qys pellets 8.5 grn streamlined (very very good .)

And the h+n barracuda ft .at 9.5 grn .

Edited by Ultrastu