Gin of choice for sloe/any other berry gin?

Rob85

What is everyone's go too gin for doing their home berry flavoured gins? I've had some people telling me to take the cheapest stuff and others telling me to get something half decent like Bombay sapphire or the like.

I recently come across a bottle of plum gin I done in 2009, not sure if it's drinkable or not or maybe i could donate it to nasa as fuel for the new shuttles. It was made up with Sainsbury's basics stuff.

54 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The cheapest I can find although I rarely use gin these days as I prefer vodka or white rum.

Now white rum certainly sounds like an interesting one to try, never would have thought of that!

My wife is a big fan of gin these days, especially some of the local brewed stuff like the Belfast jawbox gin. Bit steep for making sloe gin at 36quid a bottle though!

Cheapest I can find, be it tesco or lidl. But after hearing about using whiskey on here a few years ago, I'm 100% converted and I hate whiskey as a drink. I must admit I like mine quite sweet, so I can drink more.... 

I had a massive bottle of Southern comfort going spare last year, chucked some sloes in it, well all I can say is, what was I thinking?! , I'm sure rasputins bath water tasted better. On the search now for some demijohns as I'm planning on a big haul this year, the sloes are everywhere and in massive numbers 👍 hate getting to march and I've drunk it all 

Aldi Greystone London Gin, green bottle 1l for just over £14.

Fill 2\3 2l sparkling water\lemonade bottle with sloes\bullace, add sugar to fill gaps and just cover sloes, add 1l gin, squeeze out any air and keep in warm place , shake once a week for 6 weeks until suger is dissolved and mature for remaining time.

Rebottle back into gin bottles for long term storage for which you will need 1.3l of bottle for every 1l of gin originally used.

Makes a nice smooth slightly syrupy slow gin.

On 13/09/2020 at 07:25, Stonepark said:

Aldi Greystone London Gin, green bottle 1l for just over £14.

That`s the gin I use, although if you google sloe gin, Sipsmiths advocate using the best gin possible, obviously their own, but they would, wouldn`t they.

Cheapest gin has always served me well.

OB

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 20:02, Stonepark said:

That is mine up and running, 850g sloes, 500g sugar and 1 litre Greysons gin per bottle.

DSC_0271.JPG

Hope you dont mind me chiming in but gentleman please don't put spirits in plastic bottles 

use a kilner jar or glass demijohn

There's a reason high proof spirits come in glass and not plastic bottles 

high proof can leach out the nasties in the plastic 

Enough said I think lol 

Edited by hafod

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2020 at 20:44, strimmer_13 said:

On the search now for some demijohns as I'm planning on a big haul this year, the sloes are everywhere and in massive numbers 👍 hate getting to march and I've drunk it all 

Supermarket own brand 5 litre spring water comes in what are effectively plastic demijohns and cost around a quid each.