Recommend a supplier for squirrel cage trap

Jonty

I purchased mine from a local agricultural supplier and I know Mole and Mole Valley sell the same traps. I don't have the make bu they have served me well.

I add a peanut feeder up infront of the treadle, this attracts small birds which in turn act as decoys for the tree rats.  Don't buy one of thos top entry traps, they are a wate of money.  Similarly don't buy the rat version...too small.  I am thinking to put two of them side by side as this wek I had one trapped and another trying to get in. A second trap alongside would certainly have caught it.

Have a look on Mole or Mole Valley web site, I think you will find them on there.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I purchased mine from a local agricultural supplier and I know Mole and Mole Valley sell the same traps. I don't have the make bu they have served me well.

I add a peanut feeder up infront of the treadle, this attracts small birds which in turn act as decoys for the tree rats.  Don't buy one of thos top entry traps, they are a wate of money.  Similarly don't buy the rat version...too small.  I am thinking to put two of them side by side as this wek I had one trapped and another trying to get in. A second trap alongside would certainly have caught it.

Have a look on Mole or Mole Valley web site, I think you will find them on there.

Thanks, I’ll take a look.  Just spotted the first grey in the garden in years and we’ve had sightings of red squirrels in the village so want to get back on top of the greys.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2020 at 17:49, Jonty said:

Thanks, I’ll take a look.  Just spotted the first grey in the garden in years and we’ve had sightings of red squirrels in the village so want to get back on top of the greys.

That's great news, how have you got on?

Obviously best to avoid anything other than live catch traps if you know you have reds near by.

Pretty sure the live catch traps I use are Trap man.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

That's great news, how have you got on?

Obviously best to avoid anything other than live catch traps if you know you have reds near by.

Pretty sure the live catch traps I use are Trap man.

Cheers.  I really thinned them out with the 22 a few years back and hadn’t seen one in the garden for maybe 2 years.  I ended up buying whatever trap was available from my local hardware store as I had some escapee ferrets shortly after posting this thread and I needed a trap ASAP to put down next to their cage.  Anyway, it works on the squirrels too I’m pleased to say.

4 hours ago, Jonty said:

Cheers.  I really thinned them out with the 22 a few years back and hadn’t seen one in the garden for maybe 2 years.  I ended up buying whatever trap was available from my local hardware store as I had some escapee ferrets shortly after posting this thread and I needed a trap ASAP to put down next to their cage.  Anyway, it works on the squirrels too I’m pleased to say.

Thanks for the reply, have you managed to see any reds then?