Early Sloe’s - harvest 1 Midlands

Agriv8

My usual sloe bushes up north not ripe yet and still too hard ! but down in the Midlands picked this little lot while out with the dog ! Squishy if pinched too hard.

Strange thing was bushes were in the middle of the village in front of village hall. 

Sorted and cleaned and in the freezer ready for sloe gin production when I pick up some gin.

regards Agriv8 

Anybody else picked a crop yet !

950FEBD6-4476-4135-AF30-A5DC6DF6D1B4.jpeg

I have seen several recently in the hedge rows and it might just be me, but they look a bit smaller than the ones I would normally pick , could well be a bit early or the dry weather we have had throughout the summer . 

I am referring to the ones I have seen and not the ones in the photo , they look alright and should turn out some good drink .

8 hours ago, SpringDon said:

You can’t pick sloes before the first frost lest they be jizzed on by the devil. Something like that anyway.

Sadly an old wives tale, but interesting nevertheless.

Sloes are early where I am and have already got two Demi-johns of slow gin on the go.

All pricked traditionally with a ‘silver’ pin of course 😂.

OB

Seems I am not the only one taking advantage- No silver pins up here sort wash freeze and quick blitz in food processor ! And a spoon I’d crushed almonds ! 

Oh and I don’t sweated until ‘brewed’ then sometimes  Go exotic with dark soft brown  !

but definitely filter through used wool walking boot sock 😂🤣😂 then ladies silk stocking ! Or I just use muslin then unbleached coffee filer papers !

happy brewing !

Agriv8