Which 20 bore cartridges

nicknsd1978

1 hour ago, nicknsd1978 said:

The regal was going to be my first choice although was reading that they are a very “punchy” cartridge

Yep, I also found that in the 12s so use the more gentle Hi Birds. For the 20, although it's personal preference, smaller calibre, smaller load, fewer pellets and shorter range all smacks of 7 shot to me. So, Lyalvale Supreme.

2 minutes ago, nicknsd1978 said:

the lyalvale 25g in 6 or 7 shot sound to be the ones then...so next would be what choke for your average walked up birds. I currently have 1/4 top and and 1/2 bottom

It depends on whether that is a measurement or a performance. A few at a pattern plate wouldn't do any harm. For rough shooting as there's not a great difference between two adjacent choke figures, I prefer 2 steps, so 1/4 by 3/4. Just as long as you can strike with 5 or 6 pellets on average.

2 minutes ago, nicknsd1978 said:

What do you mean by  “measurement or performance”

I think he means that a nominal choke size is just that, nominal. A full choke can throw half choke patterns with some loads, or all loads, or not. Pattern testing is the only way to be sure, not what is stamped on the gun or choke. My advice would be to stop worrying about choke and just shoot. Non of my guns carry hardly any choke and work just fine.

16 hours ago, London Best said:

This.

Every one of my 8 shotguns has either an imp cyl or true cylinder right barrel. Most of the left barrels are only quarter choke. The tightest barrel carries 15 thou of choke. 

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep, complement that with 2 steps up for 1/2 and you're good for 40 and 45 yards. Odds on are though that for a IC performance you may just need a tad more choke than the nominal.

Same here, cylinder top barrel and 1/4 bottom barrel in my 20b with 26gm No7 (UK 6.5) RC Sipe.