Badgers

Fisherman Mike

I have an alotment on which I grow the most amazing carrots amongst other fine veg.

Problem is I am never able to enjoy a full harvest as Mr. Brock always seems to get there before me.

I have tried all sorts of deterents including heavyweight wire cloches etc. but these things are as strong as an ox and more than a match for any dog.

Can they be shot or trapped or what?

This is a problem which about 20 of us are suffering each year.

Any one got any sensible ideas.?

Thanks.

FM.

Of what I know you are not allowed to shoot them, they are a protected, but I may be wrong, to check for certain I would go to http://www.basc.com/ you can then email questions to BASC and they will give you all the information on what you can and can not shoot. You may need to be a member of BASC to do this :lol: .

Hope that is some help

Crowstopper :lol:

Talking to my grandma yestereday and she told me that one of her friends had recently seen 36 badgers in his garden- at the same time!

I have never had any problem with badgers but we have with foxes. We got rid of the foxes by peeing round the garden!!

Maybe this would work with badgers- just pee around the perimiter- (if its in town then its probably best to do it at night :lol: )

try it- it may work.

tody

The UK has _loads_ of offences dealing with badgers, killing badgers and possesing parts of dead badgers.

I reckon that if you went after one, you'd be on a hiding to nothing. Someone will find out and "those poor things" will end up getting you fined or worse.

Better safe than sorry in this case I think

Wookie

• 2 months later...

a good thing i saw on tv was to put human hair into old tights and place them at intervals around the area tobe protected. the sent is enough to be carried a good distance and deter them. the trick was used with foxes and it worked well too, but i dont see why it cant be addapted for badgers. they run a mile at the smell of a human scent........just get the hair from your local barber shop........hope it helps your carrots matey :)

a good thing i saw on tv was to put human hair into old tights and place them at intervals around the area tobe protected. the sent is enough to be carried a good distance and deter them. the trick was used with foxes and it worked well too

Has anyone tried this hair in tights trick

Our poults are arriving next week

Charlie is never far away, how ever much we try

a good thing i saw on tv was to put human hair into old tights and place them at intervals around the area tobe protected. the sent is enough to be carried a good distance and deter them. the trick was used with foxes and it worked well too

Has anyone tried this hair in tights trick

Our poults are arriving next week

Charlie is never far away, how ever much we try

Pour creasote around your release pen mate. works sometimes. Otherwise get some snares set around the perimeter. For buzzards, get a bucket lid, paint it yellow with a big black dot on, it resembles a big eye, scaring them away apparently

When I was at college our estate skills lecturer had an old book detailing a "badger feast" where lumps of badger was cut from a carcass turning on a spit over an open fire. I only remember the story because he would tell it every chance he got when he though any of the girls from the animal care or vet nursing courses were around!! :lol:

The Protection Of Badgers Act 1992 consolidates all previous legislation, with regard to badgers. All of the previous acts were repealed and replaced with this.

Under the 1992 Act it is an offence to...

• Kill, injure or take a badger
  • Attempt to kill, injure or take a badger
  • Have in your possession any dead badger or badger part (ham's out the window :lol: )
  • Cruelly ill-treat a badger
  • Use badger tongs
  • Dig for a badger
  • Interfere with a badger sett
  • Allow a dog to enter a badger sett
  • Disturb a badger sett

Badger legislation is the only law on the statute books where you have to prove that you're innocent rather than the prosecution prove you guilty. Guilt is automatically assumed unless you can prove otherwise. So be warned if you run one over and decide to move the carcass into your vehicle.

You can apply for a licence to carry out a prohibited action by contacting your local branch of those nice people at DEFRA but I doubt that disrupting an allotment would fall into a category that would warrant granting a licence. Could be worth a try though.