35 shots without a miss !

Old Boggy

This unbelievable performance happened in my garden yesterday evening.

I was sitting having a cup of coffee dunking a few biscuits (like you do) and noticed a flightline of pigeons going over my house. The obvious thing to do was to go and get the gun, which I did. Every bird coming over was a hit, whether straight overhead, to the left or to the right, with some really high birds being taken on. All this from the comfort of my seat at the garden table. However, I must add at this point, no cartridges were fired, the gun not reloaded and no sound whatsoever to upset neighbours. This was purely dry shooting, but nevertheless was still good practice, but isn`t it amazing that not one bird was missed when doing this. This was in stark contrast when actually out shooting when 2 for 1, or half price as Archie Coats would say, would be reasonably good form. Not quite the same as the real thing,but no birds to pick up, no gun to clean and only the wife calling me absolutely bonkers.

This was done completely out of view of neighbours seeing a gun being waved about.

I`m sure that when driving along, say on a motorway and a pigeon flies over, we all take that imaginary shot ..... and never miss !

Perhaps about 60 years ago had there been the same flightline, this would have been possible as our little block of 3 Victorian cottages, whilst currently still overlooking fields, would then have been totally surrounded by fields.

OB

On a similar vein, I was on the Isle of Wight a few years ago staying on a farm and took a walk out first thing in the morning. I could here Canada geese in the distance getting louder, so I hid behind a nearby bush. On they came and when overhead I raised an imaginary gun and went `Bang, Bang`. 

Unbeknown to me, there was another walker out and a voice behind me said "Yer missed them two *******". 

Possibly it was Old Farrier :yahoo:

OB

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

The Mrs said if i paid as much attention to the road as i do the fields and sky  i would not have so many near misses .

My mrs can’t say owt about my driving when I’m looking at pigeons as when she drives driving is about 5th on the list of things to do

2 minutes ago, Shearwater said:

If you want to step it up another level, try it with snap caps. . . . you may only get 9/10 but good practice as it makes you follow through your shot

During lockdown all I did was stand in the garden shooting at pigeons with snap caps and the next time I went out After lockdown shot petty well So if you can and have time it is worth doing 

On 14/09/2020 at 10:28, Old Boggy said:

Every bird coming over was a hit, whether straight overhead, to the left or to the right, with some really high birds being taken on.

You did well. Whenever I've done so I've maybe connected with 50% or less so I think I must be using an inferior quality of imaginary cartridges.

Edited by enfieldspares

I always do this with my arms holding an imaginary gun when diving or walking. It must look like I have Tourette’s, even during site meetings if i am up on scaffold and see a lovely crosser I will subtly follow it with my eyes to the kill spot. People sometimes notice but never ask questions.

I only realised how much I do it as when my youngest son was about 16 months old on our early morning dog walks he would lean out of the sling and follow the wood pigeons with his outstretched arm and the squeak a tiny “pow” then look at me as if to ask ‘Did I hit it daddy?!’, I’m a biased judge but he never missed 🥰

15 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

You did well. Whenever I've done so I've maybe connected with 50% or less so I think I must be using an inferior quality of imaginary cartridges.

I was of course using the latest lead, steel and powder free cartridges and they worked a treat.

OB

Tried again yesterday evening with snapcaps as suggested and didn`t shoot so many. :whistling:

Missed out on loads going over whilst I was opening and cocking the gun. 

If only I could get the H&H-Boss-Purdey special to non eject.

OB

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

Tried again yesterday evening with snapcaps as suggested and didn`t shoot so many. :whistling:

Missed out on loads going over whilst I was opening and cocking the gun. 

If only I could get the H&H-Boss-Purdey special to non eject.

OB

I believe there is a small switch type device that needs clicking!

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I believe there is a small switch type device that needs clicking!

What, the one just behind the top lever. Both the No.1 and No.2 guns are the same :hmm:

Just shows how much you know about Purdeys, that the safety catch. 

I`ll have to get the valet or chauffeur to have a look.

Edited by Old Boggy