Basc legal expenses cover

team tractor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You retain third party liability cover, assistance & advice by telephone with any licensing difficulties, and access to all the other BASC services.  The legal expenses for certificate problems only came in a few years ago.  For me it was a small element of membership benefits & I can see the rationale for dropping it. 

15 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Did anyone else realise it’s expired ? 
after speaking to them today it no longer exists . 
now I’m questioning what do we get ? 

ive been fairly impressed the last few weeks with them contacting staffs firearms unit on my behalf but I feel they’ve given In too easily to powers above . 

For £72 per year for full membership (60 and above would require veteran membership which is cheaper) I don’t think you can go far wrong with the level of cover offered with cpsa membership.

I've provided a link to the membership page where you will be able to look at what’s provided re cover.

https://www.cpsa.co.uk/membership

We used to run a clay shoot and we had a problem with clays contamination of rape seed. About a dozen members where Cpsa members but when we tried to get help they would not answer emails. Phone call promised a reply but it never came and all contact ignored. Basc offered help and advice and give us quite a lot of support. CPSA even ignored my letter sending all my referee  certificates and badges back , not the b**ls to speak to me

17 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

We used to run a clay shoot and we had a problem with clays contamination of rape seed. About a dozen members where Cpsa members but when we tried to get help they would not answer emails. Phone call promised a reply but it never came and all contact ignored. Basc offered help and advice and give us quite a lot of support. CPSA even ignored my letter sending all my referee  certificates and badges back , not the b**ls to speak to me

I can understand how that would be infuriating, but, the cover is for a shooter not a ground.

Surely a clay ground/shoot should have the relevant insurances in place for those sorts of incidents, the cpsa also offer  cover for grounds/clubs that meet the requirements. 

I Understand the frustration but the two policies are completely different it’s like expecting your car insurance to cover you for your house being flooded.....it’s just not going to happen 

Edited by Spr1985

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Did anyone else realise it’s expired ? 
after speaking to them today it no longer exists . 
now I’m questioning what do we get ? 

ive been fairly impressed the last few weeks with them contacting staffs firearms unit on my behalf but I feel they’ve given In too easily to powers above . 

You must have missed the hoo-har on here about it a few weeks ago.

27 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Been slightly busy fighting my case  lol 

Thank you

BASC still provide the best insurance cover, 

• 10 mil Public Liability 
  • 10 Mil Product liability 
  • 10 employer liability 
  • 250k personal accident cover 
  • Automatic humane dispatch cover 

They will still fight your case on firearms issues (and the firearms team and QC are the best you can get) 

On top of all they they fight for shooting and educate others. 

Yes they have made mistakes and done things wrong... however I do feel over the last few months their approach has improved only today they have got shooting specified on the list of except sports form covid regulations (fast track email just received) 

23 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

BASC still provide the best insurance cover, 

• 10 mil Public Liability 
  • 10 Mil Product liability 
  • 10 employer liability 
  • 250k personal accident cover 
  • Automatic humane dispatch cover 

They will still fight your case on firearms issues (and the firearms team and QC are the best you can get) 

On top of all they they fight for shooting and educate others. 

Yes they have made mistakes and done things wrong... however I do feel over the last few months their approach has improved only today they have got shooting specified on the list of except sports form covid regulations (fast track email just received) 

BASC didn’t get ‘ shooting specified’ or exempt from Covid regulations; shooting was never included. 

19 minutes ago, Scully said:

BASC didn’t get ‘ shooting specified’ or exempt from Covid regulations; shooting was never included. 

The latest BASC advice is as follows:

New government regulations came into force in England on 14 September restricting social gatherings to no more than six people both indoors and outdoors. However, after substantial work by BASC and other organisations with government ministers and pro-shooting MPs, shooting has been included in the activities that are exempt from the rule of six.

• Any outdoor physical activity which requires a licence issued by a public body for the activity itself, or for equipment used during the activity, will be exempt from the limits on numbers who may gather together.
  • For shooting, this means that where the organiser or a participant holds a valid shotgun or firearms certificate, there is no limit to the number of people who can gather for the purpose of the relevant activity while outdoors.
  • The organiser will be required to have undertaken a health and safety risk assessment and put in place all reasonable measures to limit transmission of COVID-19, including ‘test and trace’ procedures.
  • The exemption does not apply indoors where the gathering limit of six people will still apply.
  • Employees, such as beaters, pickers-up and loaders, are also exempt from gathering limits, both indoors and outdoors, where their gathering is necessary for work purposes.

Generally, outdoor recreational activities, including shooting, can take place and there are no restrictions on how far you can travel. Shooting activities include target shooting, recreational and essential pest control and recreational deer stalking.

All holiday accommodation is allowed to open as long as establishments follow appropriate guidance.

Non-essential retail businesses, including gun shops, are allowed to open.

Shoot lunches

Shoot lunches taken indoors will need to conform to the ‘rule of six’. If on a business premises then more than six people may be present in total, but they must be in individual groups no larger than six, must maintain social distancing and may not socially interact with other groups. If the premises are not a business e.g. a shoot hut on a small DIY syndicate, then the total number of people allowed to gather will be six indoors.

Downloads and related links 

Click here to download the latest COVID secure guidance for game shoots in England.

Click here for the latest Government guidance for England.

Click here for updates on localised restrictions.

1 minute ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

The latest BASC advice is as follows:

New government regulations came into force in England on 14 September restricting social gatherings to no more than six people both indoors and outdoors. However, after substantial work by BASC and other organisations with government ministers and pro-shooting MPs, shooting has been included in the activities that are exempt from the rule of six.

• Any outdoor physical activity which requires a licence issued by a public body for the activity itself, or for equipment used during the activity, will be exempt from the limits on numbers who may gather together.
  • For shooting, this means that where the organiser or a participant holds a valid shotgun or firearms certificate, there is no limit to the number of people who can gather for the purpose of the relevant activity while outdoors.
  • The organiser will be required to have undertaken a health and safety risk assessment and put in place all reasonable measures to limit transmission of COVID-19, including ‘test and trace’ procedures.
  • The exemption does not apply indoors where the gathering limit of six people will still apply.
  • Employees, such as beaters, pickers-up and loaders, are also exempt from gathering limits, both indoors and outdoors, where their gathering is necessary for work purposes.

Generally, outdoor recreational activities, including shooting, can take place and there are no restrictions on how far you can travel. Shooting activities include target shooting, recreational and essential pest control and recreational deer stalking.

All holiday accommodation is allowed to open as long as establishments follow appropriate guidance.

Non-essential retail businesses, including gun shops, are allowed to open.

Shoot lunches

Shoot lunches taken indoors will need to conform to the ‘rule of six’. If on a business premises then more than six people may be present in total, but they must be in individual groups no larger than six, must maintain social distancing and may not socially interact with other groups. If the premises are not a business e.g. a shoot hut on a small DIY syndicate, then the total number of people allowed to gather will be six indoors.

Downloads and related links 

Click here to download the latest COVID secure guidance for game shoots in England.

Click here for the latest Government guidance for England.

Click here for updates on localised restrictions.

Like I said....BASC ( or any other organisation for that matter )  didn’t get shooting exempt from the new regulations which came into force today, because shooting, as part of an ‘organised sporting event’ was never included in them, just as stated on the news several day ago. 

On 14/09/2020 at 20:06, Scully said:

Like I said....BASC ( or any other organisation for that matter )  didn’t get shooting exempt from the new regulations which came into force today, because shooting, as part of an ‘organised sporting event’ was never included in them, just as stated on the news several day ago. 

Shooting has been included in a government list of organised sport, fitness activity or licensed outdoor physical activity that you can safely and lawfully do in groups of more than six. That clarity is very important and the government listing for shooting links to the latest BASC advice and guidance. 

See 3.16 Can I still participate in sport and physical activity in groups of more than 6? on the webpage below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

15 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Shooting has been included in a government list of organised sport, fitness activity or licensed outdoor physical activity that you can safely and lawfully do in groups of more than six. That clarity is very important and the government listing for shooting links to the latest BASC advice and guidance. 

See 3.16 Can I still participate in sport and physical activity in groups of more than 6? on the webpage below.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Yes, I know shooting has been included, by the very fact of it being an ‘organised sporting event’ , and was therefore already included in those sports exempt from the latest legislation brought into force last Monday.
BASC ( or any other shooting organisation ) played no part in this government decision. 
Some people seem to have the impression that BASC are responsible for this exemption, when in fact this simply isn’t the case, and BASC for their part appear willing to take the credit for something which was none of their making. 
As I said in previous posts, shooting was already included in the governments list of exempted sports because it fits the remit for exemption, and not because of BASC. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Yes, I know shooting has been included, by the very fact of it being an ‘organised sporting event’ , and was therefore already included in those sports exempt from the latest legislation brought into force last Monday.
BASC ( or any other shooting organisation ) played no part in this government decision. 
Some people seem to have the impression that BASC are responsible for this exemption, when in fact this simply isn’t the case, and BASC for their part appear willing to take the credit for something which was none of their making. 
As I said in previous posts, shooting was already included in the governments list of exempted sports because it fits the remit for exemption, and not because of BASC. 

Below are links to further insights on this policy issue that may help:

https://basc.org.uk/shooting-exempt-and-tackling-hysteria/

https://basc.org.uk/basc-in-the-press/

https://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/newspapers-give-shooting-a-kicking-fieldsports-news-16-september-2020/

Edited by Conor O'Gorman

2 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Perhaps you could read the information in the links, given the opinions you are repeatedly posting on this thread. If you are still unsure happy to chat to explain further.

I have read them.

Are you stating that shooting was included in the ban until BASC lobbied to have it made exempt? 

To our organisations (in relation to the previous 10 posts in this thread): 

• Please do keep stressing that people outdoors and widely spaced are extremely unlikely to either transmit or be infected by coronavirus.  
  • Please don't brag about use of political lobbying to influence government decisions  -  it goes down badly with the non-shooting public.

4 minutes ago, McSpredder said:

To our organisations (in relation to the previous 10 posts in this thread): 

• Please do keep stressing that people outdoors and widely spaced are extremely unlikely to either transmit or be infected by coronavirus.  
  • Please don't brag about use of political lobbying to influence government decisions  -  it goes down badly with the non-shooting public.

Blimey - that's a no win situation if ever I saw one.

Many on here, myself included, have robustly criticised BASC for doing very little lobbying, now they appear to be doing it - and telling us they are doing it...