Basc legal expenses cover

team tractor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England Hockey have been advising clubs across the country on what to do during Covid.

They've confirmed the recent position due to the rule of 6.

They don't have people gunning them down as glory hunters!!!

BASC need to get more things right, and are brushing some very serious threats to shooting under the carpet, but I think some of the mindsets here are a bit antagonistic to say the least.

Shooting did not appear in the list by magic - it was there due to lobbying. It did not say on the list, despite opposition, but for lobbying. 

Those that say otherwise … perhaps they have evidence from Parliament to back it up?

Interested to hear what the other issues that are allegedly being brushed under the carpet are

ta

David

Lead shot has not been banned apart form on some wetland sites and from some species  as I as sure you know

BASC has no power to ban lead shot

There is increasing pressure from the EU to ban lead shot almost immediately, that BASC is opposing, as you can see on the BASC web site

BASC and others are asking for a gradual phase out of lead over 5 years

I just want to make a general (e.g. not specific to this thread and those posting on it) observation.  BASC have been posting updates on and off on PW for several years, and inevitably these have attracted an amount of justified challenge, along with a certain amount of regretable axe-grinding.

BASC is not perfect, and I personally have been far from happy with some more recent developments to the extent I am no longer a member, but at least their reps are trying to engage constructively with us. 

It needs to be remembered that during a period in the last 18 to 24 months there was a time where updates were not being posted, and those BASC reps who are members on here were sledged for not having done so.  Now they are posting again and we are back to normal regarding the reception they are getting.

I know feelings are strong, but please try to debate without it being personal.  

4 hours ago, David BASC said:

Shooting did not appear in the list by magic - it was there due to lobbying. It did not say on the list, despite opposition, but for lobbying. 

Those that say otherwise … perhaps they have evidence from Parliament to back it up?

Interested to hear what the other issues that are allegedly being brushed under the carpet are

ta

David

So are you claiming that shooting was on a list of organised sporting events which would not be allowed to take place under the new legislation, which came into force last Monday, and BASC lobbied to have it made exempt? 
I don’t understand the sentence ‘It did not say on the list, despite opposition, but for lobbying.’ 

BASC lobbied to make sure it was on the list , lobbied to make sure it remained on the list - simple as that. This started many months ago  with pigeon shooting and other forms of pest control and deer management too and extended to game shooting as we came towards the game season. All this has been reported on the BASC website and in emails to members, and we have tried to keep non members up to speed with what we are doing by posting on forums and social media too.

Glad to say other organisations joined in the lobbying too.

There was opposition to it being included as has been widely reported in the media, which we have also been dealing with this week.

But as some have claimed this did not happen  due to lobbying by BASC et al or that it would have happened anyway, is this just personal opinion or have you actually checked this with Parliament?

Edit for correction , it was a typo, say should have been stay - maybe that's where the confusion is?

31 minutes ago, David BASC said:

BASC lobbied to make sure it was on the list , lobbied to make sure it remained on the list - simple as that. This started many months ago  with pigeon shooting and other forms of pest control and deer management too and extended to game shooting as we came towards the game season. All this has been reported on the BASC website and in emails to members, and we have tried to keep non members up to speed with what we are doing by posting on forums and social media too.

Glad to say other organisations joined in the lobbying too.

There was opposition to it being included as has been widely reported in the media, which we have also been dealing with this week.

But as some have claimed this did not happen  due to lobbying by BASC et al or that it would have happened anyway, is this just personal opinion or have you actually checked this with Parliament?

Edit for correction , it was a typo, say should have been stay - maybe that's where the confusion is?

Thankyou. As I said, shooting was already exempt because it was never on a list of those sporting events affected by last Monday’s legislation. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thankyou. As I said, shooting was already exempt because it was never on a list of those sporting events affected by last Monday’s legislation. 

yes, and by having that pointed out to the public, this is what you are now getting on social media.

FB_IMG_1600348040043.jpg.cfa128066d39676d70740ec9b35608bb.jpg

Some people are now thinking that shooting is getting preferential treatment.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

yes, and by having that pointed out to the public, this is what you are now getting on social media.

I understand your point, but don’t really care what others think, as they would be against shooting regardless. Shooting is deemed exempt because Mondays legislation deems it exempt, and not for any other reason.
It is an organised sporting event ( even the antis have to admit it’s a ‘sport’.....field sport, or blood sport as they prefer to call it ) and as such isn’t effected by the legislation, just as football, cricket etc. It’s as simple as that. 
I was discussing this today with a woman I know who provides the food for our big commercial shoot. She is unaffected also, and will be supplying the food as usual; the only people affected are the guns, and that is only by the social distancing aspect. 
The beaters are employed to participate in an organised sporting event, so unless I’m mistaken are not affected in the same manner as others prone to gather. 

16 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Those will be the peeps too thick or biassed to comprehend that most shooting is done in very wide open fresh air whilst gardens in cities will not have such UV cleansed air with fresh oxygen from trees.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I understand your point, but don’t really care what others think, as they would be against shooting regardless. Shooting is deemed exempt because Mondays legislation deems it exempt, and not for any other reason.
It is an organised sporting event ( even the antis have to admit it’s a ‘sport’.....field sport, or blood sport as they prefer to call it ) and as such isn’t effected by the legislation, just as football, cricket etc. It’s as simple as that. 
I was discussing this today with a woman I know who provides the food for our big commercial shoot. She is unaffected also, and will be supplying the food as usual; the only people affected are the guns, and that is only by the social distancing aspect. 
The beaters are employed to participate in an organised sporting event, so unless I’m mistaken are not affected in the same manner as others prone to gather. 

I fully agree with you, it was always covered under the organised sporting event exemption.

I also see why some thought it necessary to have that confirmed, what with police forces making laws up as they see fit.

I also see your point about the antis, but it is not just them reading it, the image wasn't on a anti shooting page, it was on a news story about stricter lockdown measures, and with the public's general mood at the moment and the antis pushing a shooting is getting preferential treatment, it doesn't look good, even though it is false.

Edited by Newbie to this

5 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

I fully agree with you, it was always covered under the organised sporting event exemption.

I also see why some thought it necessary to have that confirmed, what with police forces making laws up as they see fit.

I also see your point about the antis, but it is not just them reading it, the image wasn't on a anti shooting page, it was on a news story about stricter lockdown measures, and with the public's general mood at the moment and the antis pushing a shooting is geeting preferential treatment, it doesn't look good, even though it is false.

I see your point, but the same could be said about any organised sporting event. It’s also false that only posh Tories shoot.
It all depends where ones bias is based I suppose. 

On 14/09/2020 at 19:43, Scully said:

BASC didn’t get ‘ shooting specified’ or exempt from Covid regulations; shooting was never included. 

Hi Scully, 

Shooting was not on the list of exempt sports,  I would agree that as an organised event it could still go ahead however this means we are interpreting the legislation. 

Shooting is now listed, and when you click the link on the covid government website it takes you straight to the BASC covid guidance.

This is due to the work of BASC.  it is surely no coincidence that the guidance directed to by the government is BASCs website.

Whilst we could argue that it was exempt (to which I would agree) it was not on the list, this just gives us as shooters belt and braces as it is now specified. 

The very reaction of the anti shooting lobbyist shows that it was an achievement .. 

For this i think the organisations deserve credit ..

Best Wishes

Terry

Scully, Big Thanks for pointing out this issue to the members.

Zapp, thank you for highlighting the minimal BSAC content on this site.... and I reckon that will be a fair representation of its minimalist representation of its' contributors interests and wishes.

C O G - do you mind if I ask if your recent flurry of activity on PW might be the result of a fall in membership income  and grumbling at t'Mill ?

Shooting was not on the original list of exempted sports publicised last week. The list was amended to ensure shooting was included as an exempted activity after interventions by BASC, other organisations and MPs over the weekend. The old list was then taken down and a new list with shooting included replaced it on Monday 14th. 

The Government’s decision to allow shooting to continue in its current format in England was the right one. Like other team sports, shooting is able to operate under social distancing guidance, and its benefits to the rural economy and well-being makes its inclusion significant.

Most grateful for the appreciation in various posts in this thread for the work of pro-shooting MPs and BASC staff over the weekend to ensure that shooting is on the list.

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Scully, 

Shooting was not on the list of exempt sports,  I would agree that as an organised event it could still go ahead however this means we are interpreting the legislation. 

Shooting is now listed, and when you click the link on the covid government website it takes you straight to the BASC covid guidance.

This is due to the work of BASC.  it is surely no coincidence that the guidance directed to by the government is BASCs website.

Whilst we could argue that it was exempt (to which I would agree) it was not on the list, this just gives us as shooters belt and braces as it is now specified. 

The very reaction of the anti shooting lobbyist shows that it was an achievement .. 

Best Wishes

Terry

Good post.

40 minutes ago, Conor O'Gorman said:

Shooting was not on the original list of exempted sports publicised last week. The list was amended to ensure shooting was included as an exempted activity after interventions by BASC, other organisations and MPs over the weekend. The old list was then taken down and a new list with shooting included replaced it on Monday 14th. 

The Government’s decision to allow shooting to continue in its current format in England was the right one. Like other team sports, shooting is able to operate under social distancing guidance, and its benefits to the rural economy and well-being makes its inclusion significant.

Most grateful for the appreciation in various posts in this thread for the work of pro-shooting MPs and BASC staff over the weekend to ensure that shooting is on the list.

I wasn’t aware there was a list, as it was stated last week prior to the legislation that organised sporting events wouldn’t be affected. 
I’ve done a few searches ( not thoroughly admittedly ) on relevant Gov websites and can find plenty regarding what we should do while participating in organised sports, but cannot find a list of those organised sports exempted by the Gov. Do you have a link? 

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Hi Scully, 

Best Wishes

Terry

Thanks Terry, but I’m not sure anything needed interpreting for the reasons I’ve already given. 

3 hours ago, harkom said:

Scully, Big Thanks for pointing out this issue to the members.

Zapp, thank you for highlighting the minimal BSAC content on this site.... and I reckon that will be a fair representation of its minimalist representation of its' contributors interests and wishes.

C O G - do you mind if I ask if your recent flurry of activity on PW might be the result of a fall in membership income  and grumbling at t'Mill ?

As above  all points  100%

There is nothing wrong with lobbying, but claiming credit afterwards may be unwise.

The statement that “… after substantial work by BASC and other organisations with government ministers and pro-shooting MPs, shooting has been included in the activities that are exempt from the rule of six” concentrates on the political lobbying and provides no background information.   It was inevitably going to be interpreted in some quarters as “Toffs lobby their friends in high places and the Tory government allows game shooting to continue, while the lives of ordinary people remain severely restricted”.  

It might have been better to omit the bragging and just say something on the lines of: “We explained how shooting, as an open-air activity in which participants are widely spaced, is extremely unlikely to result in transmission of coronavirus, and government agreed that restrictions are not required.”

1 hour ago, ShootingEgg said:

I think BASCs new slogan on this forum should read 'damned if we do, damned if we dont' 

Its baffling why so many here are so bitter towards them. Feel free to start your own Org and see how well you do.... 

there’s a easy solution when people ask a straight question give a straight answer instead of the sad old bashing claim act give no cause you get no complaints