why has centrefire ammo gone up so much uk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as per above

ALSO

UK lacks a decent importer infrastructure.
A very small number firms swamp any smaller competition - yet the bigger firms themselves are selective on what brands of ammunition they source & deem fit to sell into their RFD/dealer chain (in a lot of cases, only bringing in those offerings which reperesent the best %age profit margins for said importer)
Not enough real competition = they can charge what they want to!

UK is a very small fish compared to most other countries - lots of manufacturers therefore rank us quite low down on the priority list

UK lost the majority of small independent ammo makers when the handgun ban killed 90% of their bread & butter income

Present exchange rates are against imports being too cheap

Hazardous Goods type shipping cost is ridiculous in the UK

Guest cookoff013

During previous elections in the US any ammo was not available to "ready money". it had to do with election instability and military contracts.

i read a little about it when i heard all about it on the US forums, most started to reload for shotgun and center again and some started going for weird calibres. all powder gone.

9mm, gone, .22lr hadnt been seen for eons, .38spl nope, .357M too. most "normal" calibre was unobtainable, but every now and again i was told there were some stuff on the shelves. odd calibres were always available, or sourced from somewhere, 10mm auto, .357sig. 

i wonder if the Chinese virus will get us to panic buy stuff?

What gets me more than price is not being able to get the same ammo the next time you want some that's why i reload for my 243  I could never get the same stuff twice, now its starting to be a pain for my 308 I was using Winchester deer season xp (i think) got down to my last box and no one has it now.

3 minutes ago, Imperfection said:

Its been steadily going up last 10 years. The days of cheap milsurp are long gone. Although i homeload all my centrefire calibres i discovered my local shop is selling 38sp cheap so i bought 500 rounds recently.

I have a supplier for hand gun calibers locally so that wasn't a problem last time I got some a few months ago. I just find that all my local RFDs can't or won't get what i want.

7 minutes ago, wabbit warren said:

i use Hornady superformance varmint 53g in .223  last box i got was £23  went to my gun shop yesterday and paid £30

omg what a price hike

.223! like I said the yanks want it for their ar's! You should try 7mm weatherby mag, last lot was £4 a pop! 😱

Edited by bluesj

22 hours ago, bluesj said:

I have a supplier for hand gun calibers locally so that wasn't a problem last time I got some a few months ago. I just find that all my local RFDs can't or won't get what i want.

What i bought was standard Magtech 38sp,but round nose bullet which is fine for my LBR but not suitable for lever actions. It was £21 per 100 and at that price it isn't worth me homeloading so i stocked upto my hold limit (600).

I even cast my own bullets but when its this cheap i'd be a fool to turn it down.

1 hour ago, Imperfection said:

What i bought was standard Magtech 38sp,but round nose bullet which is fine for my LBR but not suitable for lever actions. It was £21 per 100 and at that price it isn't worth me homeloading so i stocked upto my hold limit (600).

I even cast my own bullets but when its this cheap i'd be a fool to turn it down.

That is cheap! I think i paid £33 / 100 for 38sp lead round nose  357 mag  jacketed soft points and 9mm jacketed hollow point subs 

Ive been buying .308 ammo for about £38 per hundred from HPS and it was good ammo too. PPU was a good price but thats gone up in leaps and bounds too

5 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Our club has sold magtech .38 RN for use in lever action rifles by the thousand. Why is it not suitable? Its not been a problem for us.? except the next lot is going to be a lot dearer? 

Edited by Vince Green

On 14/09/2020 at 18:44, saddler said:

as per above

ALSO

UK lacks a decent importer infrastructure.
A very small number firms swamp any smaller competition - yet the bigger firms themselves are selective on what brands of ammunition they source & deem fit to sell into their RFD/dealer chain (in a lot of cases, only bringing in those offerings which reperesent the best %age profit margins for said importer)
Not enough real competition = they can charge what they want to!

UK is a very small fish compared to most other countries - lots of manufacturers therefore rank us quite low down on the priority list

UK lost the majority of small independent ammo makers when the handgun ban killed 90% of their bread & butter income

Present exchange rates are against imports being too cheap

Hazardous Goods type shipping cost is ridiculous in the UK

This ^^^^^^ 

Plus importers cannot afford the storage costs / insurance which are greater than the cost of importation 

On 14/09/2020 at 13:27, bluesj said:

Because the yanks are buying it all up in preparation for a civil war 

Yep.  Most people over here in the south  are setting on 50-100k  rounds. Most were bought long ago.  Most of the ammo being bought now is liberals and new gun owners.  But I have added a good 20k rounds to replace what I have shot lately.  

Edited by NoBodyImportant

24 minutes ago, cookoff013 said:

nobody important lives in a different world to us. 

i have friends and contacts stateside. they are doing the same, stocking up on stuff. especially .22lr !

I just wondered if it a genuine concern or people just getting wrapped in something over nothing like all the fools buying up the toilet roll over here earlier in the year.