Pears from frozen

Walker570

We have a glut of pears this year and the young man who usually collects the bulk for making pearsecco (good stuff) is not doing any this year.  I therefore wondered if it was possible to freeze pears and then cook them straight from the freezer like we do plums and apples.  I split some nice ripe pears in half and removed the seed/centres, packed them flat and vaccuum paked them.  I got a pack out this afternoon and already had a pan on the heat with half a pint of cheap red wine and some cinnamon. I just broke the pears apart and dropped them in the liquid and brought it up to simmer. Put the lid on and left for about 10 mins.  They where cooked through and looked good enough to eat, tried one and that was a positive.  Going to let them cool and tomorrow try them with some double cream as dessert.  It looks like it works the same as plums and apples but you must cook straight from frozen and do not defrost or they go horrible rotten brown colour.   Will try putting them in an open tart and pour some apricot jam over before putting in a hot oven, then when cold do the same as with the blackberry/apple mix, banoffee style.  

Funnley enough we have a lot of pears this year and I'm wondering what desserts we can come up with let us know how things turn out. The only thing missing from the black berry and apple" banoffee style " pie was some fresh walnuts on top,I wonder where I could have got some😁 it will be years before I can pick my own

Have you heard of the poire tapee?

These are a thing found in France in the Loire Valley where I used to do work and very nice they are too...as you rehydrate them to eat with sugar water or indeed wine! There's info on the internet how to dry and then press them.

https://www.touraineloirevalley.co.uk/poires-tapees-rivarennes-touraine/

Of of course you could make perry from the pears? Known in France as "poire" is very pleasant especially at Christmas with cheese and noboby needs ever to know it was once sold a "Babycham"! Much nicer than cider too.

Edited by enfieldspares