Gamebore Kent 24g 5 Steel

Just picked up a 20bore Beretta and got a slab of the above load for duck (seems not to be much on the market for 20bore duck loads?).

I usually shoot 32g 4 through my 12bore on duck.

I am sure they’ll be okay if I keep the distances sensible.. just wondered if anyone has used them and what your thoughts are..

Many thanks, 

Dave 

9 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

Just picked up a 20bore Beretta and got a slab of the above load for duck (seems not to be much on the market for 20bore duck loads?).

I usually shoot 32g 4 through my 12bore on duck.

I am sure they’ll be okay if I keep the distances sensible.. just wondered if anyone has used them and what your thoughts are..

Many thanks, 

Dave 

Good cartridge only use steel now. But they have become hard to get something about steel shortage. The price went up £9 a slab 2 weeks ago. I've also been using the lyevale 24g gram 4s would think they would be better on duck they are very good and hard hitting. 

I’ve used a few of these on pigeons and I’m impressed with them , not sure I would use them on ducks. I also tried some express 24 gram 4s and they were rubbish in fact so bad for the first time ever I returned them and got something else.( the gun shop offered when I told them how bad they were)

1 hour ago, muncher said:

I’ve used a few of these on pigeons and I’m impressed with them , not sure I would use them on ducks. I also tried some express 24 gram 4s and they were rubbish in fact so bad for the first time ever I returned them and got something else.( the gun shop offered when I told them how bad they were)

Fair enough.. I’ll have to wait and see 👍 

3 hours ago, muncher said:

Had a slab of these as I couldn't get the Kent 5s. Seemed OK in my silver pigeon definitely knock pigeon down. . Hoping the shop gets some kent from game bore this week though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I shot these today on duck so I thought I would share my first impressions. 

I think the cartridge is generally ok. However, as stated the ranges do need to be kept sensible. We shoot a lot of duck coming up off a river and I think they’re good for that initial ‘flush’ when the ducks are springing up. But as soon as they’re ‘up’ I didn’t feel as though they were up to it. I took two birds which, despite being hit and looking as though they were dead, when picked they weren’t (granted this can happen with any load). One occasion the duck looked dead in the air, landed and then decided to try to walk off after around 30 seconds on the floor. I would estimate the range of that particular duck to be around 30 yards and it looked as though it was hit hard. 

I felt that when shooting driven duck they were a little bit out of their comfort zone and are more suited to shooting over splashes or flight ponds when ducks are coming back in. I felt as though I was wanting the shot to be a size 4 which I think would’ve helped a bit. 

As stated in my opening post, I usually shoot 32g 4 when using my 12 bore and have never had issues with them so it’s not that I don’t have faith or confidence in steel, I actually enjoy shooting steel! I just think, in my extremely limited experience shooting them today, they should only be used on specific type of duck shooting and there should be more 20b steel available on the market which would make the 20b more inline with the 12b when shooting driven duck; just like the range of lead loads available. 

Whilst on the subject of lead, the Hull High Pheasant Extreme 28g 6 I was really impressed with. 

This is just my opinion after my first trip out with the 20bore. Any other opinions/thoughts would be good!

Dave 👍🏻 

36 minutes ago, TIDES EDGE said:

As others have said go up to shot size 4 or 3 when using steel in either 20 bore or 12 and you will kill anything in sensible range.

Yes, I agree. I always shoot shot size 4 on duck through my 12..but struggling to find anything other that 24g 5 for the 20 bore. Not heard of the Mirage cartridges that Kraai has suggested but would be keen to try them if I can get hold of any.

I was only saying after the shoot to the group that the GB load I was using would be great in a 4..wonder why they don’t make them with 20 bores now being so popular..