A New Location on Lough Neagh - duck shooting wildfowling.

Big Al

This shore is private and by invitation only. Rab and I went down for a flight on Saturday morning and it was very windy! Challenging shooting conditions and retrieving conditions for Ted. As usual,  Ted outshone us both. I hope you enjoy - sorry for the wind noise.

Edited by Big Al

Another first class video Al , you will remember Ted's retrieve for many years to come , it can be very nerve racking when your dog is intent in getting whatever it is going after when no amount of calling or whistling will make any difference .

I had a young dog once that was only ten months old , normally at that age he would only come as company while my older dog would do the retrieving but unfortunately I had my old one put down just before the season started , so I took my young one along for some early season retrieving , going across dykes and the odd one in the river was no problem and like yours he had a love for the sport , around Christmas time we used to have a lot of Whitefronts come down our way and on this particular day I was on the side of the estuary , a skein came over that were just in range and with my second shot one fell out , he or she hit the water about 50 yds out , my young dog was down the side of the wall and was already swimming out to the goose that was just sitting in the water , as my dog was a yard or two from it the goose started to swim away towards the middle of the estuary but my young dog caught up with it and made a grab for it's neck , when he was holding it the goose started to flap and a wing went over my dogs head and all I could see was a lot of splashing and my dog getting nowhere , this was when I started to panic and was thinking the worst , then the goose started to drop it's head in the water and I knew it was dead , my young dog then started to make head way and a few minutes later he was up the bank , shook himself and thought nothing of it ,this happened a good 40 years ago and now I wouldn't let a ten month old pup do the retrieving but when you are young you do all sort of things that later you regret , but I will always remember that one retrieve .

THANKS for sharing 

44 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another first class video Al , you will remember Ted's retrieve for many years to come , it can be very nerve racking when your dog is intent in getting whatever it is going after when no amount of calling or whistling will make any difference .

I had a young dog once that was only ten months old , normally at that age he would only come as company while my older dog would do the retrieving but unfortunately I had my old one put down just before the season started , so I took my young one along for some early season retrieving , going across dykes and the odd one in the river was no problem and like yours he had a love for the sport , around Christmas time we used to have a lot of Whitefronts come down our way and on this particular day I was on the side of the estuary , a skein came over that were just in range and with my second shot one fell out , he or she hit the water about 50 yds out , my young dog was down the side of the wall and was already swimming out to the goose that was just sitting in the water , as my dog was a yard or two from it the goose started to swim away towards the middle of the estuary but my young dog caught up with it and made a grab for it's neck , when he was holding it the goose started to flap and a wing went over my dogs head and all I could see was a lot of splashing and my dog getting nowhere , this was when I started to panic and was thinking the worst , then the goose started to drop it's head in the water and I knew it was dead , my young dog then started to make head way and a few minutes later he was up the bank , shook himself and thought nothing of it ,this happened a good 40 years ago and now I wouldn't let a ten month old pup do the retrieving but when you are young you do all sort of things that later you regret , but I will always remember that one retrieve .

THANKS for sharing 

Wow. That's an epic retrieve and would scare the life out of me. Thanks for sharing that.

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

This shore is private and by invitation only. Rab and I went down for a flight on Saturday morning and it was very windy! Challenging shooting conditions and retrieving conditions for Ted. As usual,  Ted outshone us both. I hope you enjoy - sorry for the wind noise.

Actually got a notification on my phone for this as a recommended video. Some veiwing lined up for later on I reckon!

A different, but still an absorbing location, its hard to believe that you are shooting a landlocked water, I keep thinking the tide is coming in.

There was certainly a lot of duck action and the dogs were kept busy.
Ted's retrieve was spectacular, its always worrying when they go on for a while, dogs can easily get exhausted working in water for a long time.
I anticipated the wind noise being worse that it actually was.

Most enjoyable as always, thanks for posting.

9 hours ago, Cranfield said:

A different, but still an absorbing location, its hard to believe that you are shooting a landlocked water, I keep thinking the tide is coming in.

There was certainly a lot of duck action and the dogs were kept busy.
Ted's retrieve was spectacular, its always worrying when they go on for a while, dogs can easily get exhausted working in water for a long time.
I anticipated the wind noise being worse that it actually was.

Most enjoyable as always, thanks for posting.

Thanks Cranfield- some locals say that Lough Neagh is big enough to have the moon's gravity cause small tides, but I've not seen any evidence. A much bigger effect is caused by the fact that 6 large rivers flow into the Lough and only one flows out. They say the Lough only takes 4 hours to rise an inch but it takes 24 to drop by an inch. There are flood gates at Toome which control the level but even so, severe flooding is possible. The eel traps, also at Toome, catch millions of the Lough Neagh eels which are exported to the continent. There are also many commercial eel fishing boats on the Lough.

Another excellent video. 

That retrieve by Ted was certainly good to watch if not a bit worrying for you at the time no doubt.

Keep them coming.

Always so enjoyable in a wonderful location.

Many thanks again for posting.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Another excellent video. 

That retrieve by Ted was certainly good to watch if not a bit worrying for you at the time no doubt.

Keep them coming.

Always so enjoyable in a wonderful location.

Many thanks again for posting.

OB

Kind words again OB. Thanks. 

It's too warm at the momentto even consider donning chest waders, so I might give this weekend a miss ....

Another great video,good to see your season has got off to a grand start.Ted seems to have lost non of his ability during the summer and what a retrieve.

Have a good season ,looking forward to more of your adventures.Still like mid summer with us at the moment ,although some of the visitors are beginning to arrive.

Another interesting video, thank you. 
I was very interested to read your comments re the rise and fall of the Lough.  
Ted did well, particularly with the diver, they can be swines to catch. 
I became very worried one night nearly forty years ago. We were just leaving some flood water alongside a very swollen River Trent when some geese flew past my mate’s position. In almost pitch blackness he dropped a Canada into the middle of the river, which was going like a train. It was so dark I couldn’t even see the action from my position. Mate shouted me to send my dog (he was dog less) and I could hear him urging the dog into the swollen river. I would not have shot the goose over the river in those conditions. When I eventually got to my mate he said, “Ben’s not back yet,” The river is about 120 yards wide at that place. We ran 200 yards downstream to the edge of our permission and stood whistling and shouting for so long I became convinced I had lost my dog, who was nearly ten years old. After an absolute age the old dog appeared along the bank with the goose and all was well, but it was a nasty experience.

On 18/09/2020 at 10:52, greylag said:

Another great video,good to see your season has got off to a grand start.Ted seems to have lost non of his ability during the summer and what a retrieve.

Have a good season ,looking forward to more of your adventures.Still like mid summer with us at the moment ,although some of the visitors are beginning to arrive.

Thanks greylag- I gave it a miss today as it's like summer here today too! Hopefully the widgeon will start to appear soon.

On 18/09/2020 at 12:13, London Best said:

Another interesting video, thank you. 
I was very interested to read your comments re the rise and fall of the Lough.  
Ted did well, particularly with the diver, they can be swines to catch. 
I became very worried one night nearly forty years ago. We were just leaving some flood water alongside a very swollen River Trent when some geese flew past my mate’s position. In almost pitch blackness he dropped a Canada into the middle of the river, which was going like a train. It was so dark I couldn’t even see the action from my position. Mate shouted me to send my dog (he was dog less) and I could hear him urging the dog into the swollen river. I would not have shot the goose over the river in those conditions. When I eventually got to my mate he said, “Ben’s not back yet,” The river is about 120 yards wide at that place. We ran 200 yards downstream to the edge of our permission and stood whistling and shouting for so long I became convinced I had lost my dog, who was nearly ten years old. After an absolute age the old dog appeared along the bank with the goose and all was well, but it was a nasty experience.

They really can get you worried. Ted seems to do it on most flights! I'm aware he is 8 now but he seems to be ignoring that fact.

13 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Brilliant retrieving from Ted Big Al some good shooting as well When you have a great dog it’s have the battle Thanks for posting another great video I look forward to them 👍👍👍👍👍👍

Thanks Gerry. Did you get anywhere with the Killyleagh club?