Scaffold towers - Sturdy for a larger man?

discobob

As above, Wife doesn't want me up ladders (I am fine as long as somebody is holding them - which would be her - so I take it it is more she doesn't want to stand there holding them), but she has also pulled a face (it's bad enough as it is  normally - yep she doesn't come on here :D) to me hiring a scaffold tower - I have the eaves to paint - and a bit of wood to replace that was never fitted correctly on build and is now rotted - they are only small though.

The gable ends go up to about 7mtr + high - the woodwork hasn't been painted since built (16 years) and now needs doing - my wife thinks "it looks ok" but my wife has a low level - hence why she married me!!!

She is on about getting her nephew round to do it - the last time he done something for us (replacing the clip on dry verges on one length of the the roof) it cost us £250 for a couple of hours- so this would end up costing £1k based on that!! We had to wait 3 months for that 😞

You'll be fine on a tower, but I've no idea of cost, it will certainly be easier and safer than a ladder though.

It will depend on what the tower will sit on as to how easy to move it is.

I'd phone a hire company for a quote, and a scaffolding company, normal scaffolding may work out cheaper, then compare prices

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

You'll be fine on a tower, but I've no idea of cost, it will certainly be easier and safer than a ladder though.

It will depend on what the tower will sit on as to how easy to move it is.

I'd phone a hire company for a quote, and a scaffolding company, normal scaffolding may work out cheaper, then compare prices

To get scaffold all round the house will be a bit of an ask tbh - I believe that when the NHBC redone our ridges and valleys about 7 years ago the cost was about £1.1k and that was only front and back!!!

1 hour ago, B725 said:

If you don't care for heights too much hire a double width tower scaffold as it won't move about so much, they are not that expensive to hire for the week. Also make sure you put the outriggers on securely. 

Found one for £85 including delivery

19 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Hi could you just not hire a cherry picker if you have the room much safer

2/3 of the front of the house isn't accessible so it would have to have a mega reach - also, only evenings and weekends to do the work so hiring a man & would be nigh on impossible. Everywhere I have seen needs you to have a ticket to hire it

1 minute ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Have thought of getting someone to replace the wood with plastic?

TBH it has done well - the wood that has rotted were little triangles between the where the horizontal soffit and the soffit from the rake on a bit of a dormer(?) roof (its only above the window) meets - the horizontal goes past the rake so the put a triangle of wood in that is about 10cm by 15cm on the right angle sides which wasn't fitted properly (the one I have looked at looks like the nail split it). Already got the wood which has cost a grand total of £1.40 for a meter of 6*1.

Perhaps when the mortgage is paid of I will do that but that is 6 years away. And it would be the full - not the cladding!!

Tower scaffold will be stable enough, but get someone who knows what they’re doing to erect it. We put up loads over the years but once went to a job where the client had erected one for us. It looked fine at first glance then we realised he’d put all the braces in facing the same way! Would have folded like a flat pack box if we’d got on it! 
Make sure it has outriggers and that you climb it from the inside and you’ll be fine. 👍

4 hours ago, Scully said:

Tower scaffold will be stable enough, but get someone who knows what they’re doing to erect it. We put up loads over the years but once went to a job where the client had erected one for us. It looked fine at first glance then we realised he’d put all the braces in facing the same way! Would have folded like a flat pack box if we’d got on it! 
Make sure it has outriggers and that you climb it from the inside and you’ll be fine. 👍

Thanks for the advice there. I’ll get the new guy from up the lane to cast his eye over it - he’s a builder apparently 

If you hire a tower from any reputable firm, they should supply you with the instructions for erection.  These can also be found via the PASMA app so there is no reason it should go up wrongly (like so many I see that have been put up!).

If you are going up 7 mtrs, I would sooner you checked it yoursself from the manufacturers instructions rather than by someone up the lane.

Stay safe🤞

4 minutes ago, sky gipsy said:

If you hire a tower from any reputable firm, they should supply you with the instructions for erection.  These can also be found via the PASMA app so there is no reason it should go up wrongly (like so many I see that have been put up!).

If you are going up 7 mtrs, I would sooner you checked it yoursself from the manufacturers instructions rather than by someone up the lane.

Stay safe🤞

Thanks 👍 @sky gipsy- I have download the app and I have also watched a few manufacturers video's. I am not the greatest at heights nowadays (a neighbour down the lane put it brilliantly - you loose your ladder legs the older you get) which should work in my favour - I am cautious enough to take my time, but not overly nervous to make a mistake

They have been moved as that was while building it. I popped them there just while I got the next gantry up. On the instructions it shows them clipped to the horizontal lengths of the sides panels. To me it is the diagonals that’s give the strength with the exception of the bottom horizontal ones. After that I think they are for safety . I need to figure out how to get the top gantry up and on for tomorrow’s painting at the top of the eaves

You can Hire a tower easy enough and erect it but without a PASMA cert you CANNOT strike it (take it down) not sure if this stupid rule applies on a residential property but its certainly in force on building sites.

I work for a hire company and the H&S rules change daily, but I'm sure that one still stands.

Well I am still alive! Although I do still have to take the tower down later on. The outriggers were fitted for use. Didn't get to complete the job though as I have found rot in a length of fasia that I need to get replaced but to get to it I will need to get scaffolding put up because it is over a roofed area of the ground floor and while I was OK popping a leg out of a window to get to the area to paint - I am not ok with having to try and remove gutters and wood and then having to refit while perched on a sharp incline!! I was able to fix some areas of rot where I would get to it on the tower.