20g---- sbs. Wanted

rapid .25

Hi all, I'm looking for a cheap 20g sbs , my grandson has started showing a lot of interest in the old sbs shotguns ( which I find brilliant) so I would like to get him a reasonable sbs in 20g, he has tried two of my 12g sbs but there a little punchy for him even with the adjustments I have made, 

Thanks in advance,,, Ian.

22 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

Hi all, I'm looking for a cheap 20g sbs , my grandson has started showing a lot of interest in the old sbs shotguns ( which I find brilliant) so I would like to get him a reasonable sbs in 20g, he has tried two of my 12g sbs but there a little punchy for him even with the adjustments I have made, 

Thanks in advance,,, Ian.

Have you tried 21gram cartridges in the 12bore? I find lighter cartridges in a 12bore will kick less than normal 20bores with game loads.

18 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Have you tried 21gram cartridges in the 12bore? I find lighter cartridges in a 12bore will kick less than normal 20bores with game loads.

I'd also second what's been said here. They'll be truly a better way to encourage him at first. Then if the bug really does bite then buy a 20 Bore or, even, a light 12 Bore. The auction houses are awash, almost, with good quality Spanish 26" barrel side-by-side guns and at the price they realise there's nothing lost in cutting the stock down keeping the back end FLAT and attaching to that flat part a heel plate with the cut-off bit in the gun cabinet for later re-attachment when he's grown full height. If the OP is ever Leicestershire way I'd let him have a slack handful of 21 gram cartridges on showing of an SGC.

Edited by enfieldspares

27 minutes ago, rapid .25 said:

I've tried 21grams with him, he's got his heart set on a 20g so I'm not going to disappoint him, I've several 12g sbs myself so adjusting one for him would not be a problem but it's not what he wants, hence the wanted 20g topic.

Got it! Try the auction website https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb and type "shotgun 20" and your postcode to narrow down how far you'd travel to ten or twenty-five miles. You may have some luck.

Edited by enfieldspares

Well if his heart is set then it's probably best to grab what he's wanting as even if the 12bore kicked less, in his head he will still think it's more as he has himself set on the 20bore. Best place to look would be in shops with an attatched clay range as he can try one out. For a while they were the "in" thing for walked up shooting. What kind of budget are you on?

15 minutes ago, Ricko said:

Gunmark Harrier 20g sbs

Fair condition 

£150

SW Lancashire 

I'll check that out, thanks bud.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

Well if his heart is set then it's probably best to grab what he's wanting as even if the 12bore kicked less, in his head he will still think it's more as he has himself set on the 20bore. Best place to look would be in shops with an attatched clay range as he can try one out. For a while they were the "in" thing for walked up shooting. What kind of budget are you on?

Don't want to spend too much as I reckon in a short time it will be for sale, he will definitely end up shooting 12g but I don't want to force him onto 12g .