Apache helicopters

AVB

@AVB slightly off topic but I used to live at Dunmow and a good few years ago now when I first passed my driving test I came from Dunmow to the Tesco’s roundabout to find an apache hovering I’d imagine about 20ft above the crop in the field to the left,  I was in such shock I nearly plowed into the roundabout! Incredible bits of kit and look even more awesome up close.
I live at Witham now and quite regularly see them and chinooks passing over my house. As someone said above I’d assume heading to mod shoeburyness/firing ranges off the coast down there  

58 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

To me the harrier is like the f4 phantom.  Great preforming plane but lacking in the looking cool factor.  When it comes to fighter planes, looking cool is more important then function😎

I disagree. I thought the F4 Phantom has a real macho look about it. Looked like it could win any fight just by looking ‘hard’. 

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

Nope- better 😂

Thrust vectoring giving rise to manoeuvrability that a Harrier never Could never achieve- along with a speed differential that makes the Harrier look like a sixty a day smoker .....

The most impressive take-off I've witnessed was a lightning at Mildenhall when I was a kid.

By the same token the most unimpressive landing I have witnessed was this:

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/mustang-p51d-n51jj-9-august-1990

I definitely dodged a bullet when I politely declined the offer of that test flight 🙂 

37 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

The most impressive take-off I've witnessed was a lightning at Mildenhall when I was a kid.

I definitely dodged a bullet when I politely declined the offer of that test flight 🙂 

I was but a teenager...ok 19yrs old and at the time dating a young lady who had a friend in Blackpool. We visited for the day and that young ladies boy friend worked on the Lightening. He related a tale from when an American test pilot flew the Lightening and when he climbed out of the cockpit googled eyed,  he said that is the biggest kick in the pants I have ever had. Awesome plane in it's time and to be honest performance wise could still hold it's own today without alk the electronic giggery malockey.

The Harrier was and still is an aircraft to be aware of if you intend conflict. To be effective the carft does not have to break speed reords, evidence the A10. It just need to do the job in spades. Pity we had to let the Americans develop it further.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Couldn’t do the same as the P51 in my current ‘charge’- bloody thing starts shouting “Landing Gear Landing Gear” at you! 

Long ago I flew a few times with an ex Lightning jock- few good stories but he wasn’t really suited to multi crew operations.......