Hawke again

strimmer_13

Quick question, I've just received my replacement scope from hawke, I chose a 4-12x40 vantage, as soon as I got it out of the box, I dialed the zoom, nice, bit stiff, played with the parallax and it was super easy to move, then it went pop! Like a jar lid opening and all of a sudden its now stiffer to move. It Still moves, but after literally 30 seconds of handling it its done something weird. 

Is this normal, it's been years since I had to buy a new scope?? 

IMG_20200915_184308.jpg

Edited by strimmer_13

4 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Quick question, I've just received my replacement scope from hawke, I chose a 4-12x40 vantage, as soon as I got it out of the box, I dialed the zoom, nice, bit stiff, played with the parallax and it was super easy to move, then it went pop! Like a jar lid opening and all of a sudden its now stiffer to move. It Still moves, but after literally 30 seconds of handling it its done something weird. 

Is this normal, it's been years since I had to buy a new scope?? 

I agree with your technical analysis. It's done something weird. Usually things get looser or stiffer over time, not suddenly going from one to the other. Does it grind as well as feel stiff? anything shaking, rattling or rolling? 

I wonder whether something's come loose inside and is now bent to the point of rubbing on the dial as it turns, causing it to be stiff.

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

I agree with your technical analysis. It's done something weird. Usually things get looser or stiffer over time, not suddenly going from one to the other. Does it grind as well as feel stiff? anything shaking, rattling or rolling? 

I wonder whether something's come loose inside and is now bent to the point of rubbing on the dial as it turns, causing it to be stiff.

No worse than the zoom adjustment. Just looking out the window with it now, seeing what's the focus like 

So depth of field is effected by a few factors on a scope .generally - dof. Is increased when the magnification is low ie 4x mag  .And when the range your actually focused at is far /infinity .And  also when you have a small objective lens.

So if your 40 mm objective scope is set at 4 x mag and focused  at say 150 yds .then you will be able to see the image clear from around 25 yds to infinity .- a wide dof.

The opposite of this would be 12x mag focused at say 15 yds the dof.would likely be between 10 and 22 yds of clear image .out side of this the  image will get progressively worse .