sxs fun

captainhastings

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I really enjoyed using the AYA No 3 I owned for a while, and when I see it on the shoot I sometimes have a pang of regret about selling it. It’s only downside for me was the double triggers, as for one I’ve got to remember it has two, and I was always aware of having to adjust my grip to do it, though I’ve no doubt I’d get used to all this in time. 
The 23 has a single trigger but I’m not keen on a vent rib on a sxs, but I do like a pistol grip! 🙂What to do? 🤷‍♂️

My Aya no3 I’d have to say outa all my guns is my favourite I’d never sell it so if you get the chance to buy another you should go for it Regarding double triggers my personal opinion is there better 1st you know if the first shot doesn’t go bang you have the second with different barrel and mine is choked 1/4 1/2 so can pick what choke I want to use 👍👍👍👍👍

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, London Best said:

I too had an AYA no.3. Mine was a 20 bore and was delightful to use. I have used a no. 3 magnum and that still felt like a proper SXS, despite the pistol grip. But I think a pistol grip is the worse thing you can have with double triggers. I find even a semi pistol grip prevents me sliding my hand that short distance that is essential to use double triggers properly. Strangely, Scully, if I ever use anyone’s gun with a single trigger I never even notice the difference. 

LB I’d like to try a 20bore in S/S I’ve tried 410 years back Walking up partridge nice light guns which were perfect for snap shooting partridge being flushed with Dogs my biggest regret like Scully was selling my aya no 4 years bk lovely guns for walking up game 

2 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

LB I’d like to try a 20bore in S/S I’ve tried 410 years back Walking up partridge nice light guns which were perfect for snap shooting partridge being flushed with Dogs my biggest regret like Scully was selling my aya no 4 years bk lovely guns for walking up game 

I only sold the no3 20 bore because I finally managed to buy one I had been pestering a mate about for ten years. It’s by Armstrong of Newcastle and is a real peach. 45DD751B-9AB9-418F-A450-F8820C71DE49.jpeg.20d2dfa847392fa7c692f51e9381d0ef.jpeg47AD7A81-ED16-4F8F-995A-D2A857F56563.jpeg.7bcd80e993fe61265332fc9c876f6a5b.jpeg

Nice guns captainhaistings and I like the look of your Armstrong sidelock London Best.

I used to own a black actioned multichoke  Winchester waterfowl model 23. It looked vey much like a model 21 but I couldn’t get on with the raised rib so sold it on ,like London Best I thought the balance/feel was wrong for me. I now have an AYA model 3 magnum with a slim forend and far prefer that. I also have a Winchester Parker Reproduction with a single trigger that I like it is a 3 inch magnum too and balances much like the old Greener Empire. Of the two the AYA is far better value for money ,it is like new and I picked it up in Newcastle for £300 within the last two years.

I will try to put up a picture of the Parker repro. I bought it from a guy who had it in his collection of Winchester rifles and hadn’t used it. I’m always a bit wary of single triggers on side by sides but so far no problems.

D97199C5-B2C1-4CC1-96E8-89C039CA180D.jpeg

A4D14974-D00A-44F9-8622-FB453DBCFB05.jpeg

6 minutes ago, captainhastings said:

Parker reproduction looks great really nice. I keep hearing about the aya guns and there quality. Think if I came across one local I would struggle to resist 😞

I would rather have my AYA number 3 magnum and money in my pocket than any of my dearer guns. It’s balance and feel is just right I don’t think you would regret buying a good one.

F8EC108D-10E7-4BBB-8E63-020B80C4D37C.jpeg.6679b48d75ca9f249932a321950cae15.jpeg

1 hour ago, London Best said:

As you said, that looks like new.

It looks as if it’s been hardly used I worried unnecessarily that there was a reason for the low price but it’s been fine 28 inch barrels too and swings like a lighter game gun (thanks for a good buyTerence from Newcastle )

On 16/09/2020 at 22:15, London Best said:

I only sold the no3 20 bore because I finally managed to buy one I had been pestering a mate about for ten years. It’s by Armstrong of Newcastle and is a real peach. 45DD751B-9AB9-418F-A450-F8820C71DE49.jpeg.20d2dfa847392fa7c692f51e9381d0ef.jpeg47AD7A81-ED16-4F8F-995A-D2A857F56563.jpeg.7bcd80e993fe61265332fc9c876f6a5b.jpeg

Beautiful gun 👍👍engravings look as if done bye hand very nice did you do any work to it chokes etc 

2 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

Beautiful gun 👍👍engravings look as if done bye hand very nice did you do any work to it chokes etc 

The engraving is all hand done, the gun is over 100 years old. A friend bought it in a poor state and had it rebuilt by Wisemans in 1992, reproof, the lot. He found he couldn’t shoot with it and put it in his safe. I had to pester him for about ten years before he let me buy it. Unfortunately it’s a non ejector so it does not get used for the majority of my shooting, which is driven partridge. Nice light walked up gun though. 

2 minutes ago, Konor said:

That’s a good start to the season

Thank you we had a brilliant day today working under the guidelines and protocols the hosts made everything run very safely and a pleasurable day had by all 

5 minutes ago, button said:

Said it before but that is beautiful must bring a smile to your face every time you use it

Thanks it’s just such a pleasure to shoot with you hardly know your holding it 

it’s having another outing next week 😊😊

31 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I’ll shoot with anyone it’s only the pleasure level that changes I enjoy the meeting with new like minded folk I also enjoy having a day with the novice game shooters 

Yeah, friends are easily made in the shooting field. As you said, like minded people. But occasionally one or two pop up on a shoot day that you don’t want to shoot with again. Most are good people though.

I enjoy using a SXS and everyone needs and old cheap beater of a knockabout SXS for days and places you wouldn't want to take your nice sidelock. For the past few years I oy shoot semi autos and SXS. I bought a 687 grade 4 for my son to use, I rarely shoot it, and haven't for a couple of years.

22 hours ago, London Best said:

The engraving is all hand done, the gun is over 100 years old. A friend bought it in a poor state and had it rebuilt by Wisemans in 1992, reproof, the lot. He found he couldn’t shoot with it and put it in his safe. I had to pester him for about ten years before he let me buy it. Unfortunately it’s a non ejector so it does not get used for the majority of my shooting, which is driven partridge. Nice light walked up gun though. 

Non ejector or not LB Still beautiful gun wish you luck with it Something to hand down to a family member 👍👍👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/09/2020 at 15:29, London Best said:

Too big, clumsy and heavy. Far too thick in the grip with a horrid beaver tail fore end. Nothing like a proper SxS at all. I agree with Rob85, not for me at all. But, again, each to their own.

Well, you did ask!

Each to there own, 2 sable and a basque and all for less than £400, it is indeed SxS fun 😍

IMG_20201006_180328.jpg

IMG_20201006_180420.jpg

IMG_20201006_180546.jpg

IMG_20201006_180413.jpg