2021 England General Licences made public in November

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Dont know if this as been posted else where but I see Packham as responded (20 Dec) to the court hearing on WJ challenge to the Welsh GL, also interesting comment by him on the law and the killing of mammals….https://wildjustice.org.uk/general/general-licences-in-general-and-our-challenge-to-the-nrw-general-licences-in-particular/

On 23/12/2020 at 17:01, old'un said:

Dont know if this as been posted else where but I see Packham as responded (20 Dec) to the court hearing on WJ challenge to the Welsh GL, also interesting comment by him on the law and the killing of mammals….https://wildjustice.org.uk/general/general-licences-in-general-and-our-challenge-to-the-nrw-general-licences-in-particular/

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

NRW removed rooms and collared doves have been off the general licence since 2019. They were removed after WJ challenged NRW 's licence the same time as the English general licence was challenged.

The difference between England and Wales is DEFRA is now issuing the general licence in England but in Wales we are governed by the useless NRW which is Welsh government funded,and the whole of the Labour run government is totally anti shooting.

The 2021 licences have still not been officially issued due to a legal review  brought again by Wild Justice. More money going to the wonderful Leigh Day.

13 hours ago, Centrepin said:

It was recently pointed out to me that collared doves are now protected in England too. Very hard I think to tell the difference in flight from collared doves to woodies to racers when they come in with others over decoys. Not that that is an excuse to shoot them.

With the greatest of respect, if you cannot tell the difference between collared doves, racing pigeons or wood pigeons when coming into your decoys, then I would suggest a visit to specsavers is in order !

OB

10 hours ago, greylag said:

NRW removed rooms and collared doves have been off the general licence since 2019. They were removed after WJ challenged NRW 's licence the same time as the English general licence was challenged.

The difference between England and Wales is DEFRA is now issuing the general licence in England but in Wales we are governed by the useless NRW which is Welsh government funded,and the whole of the Labour run government is totally anti shooting.

The 2021 licences have still not been officially issued due to a legal review  brought again by Wild Justice. More money going to the wonderful Leigh Day.

Correct. We lost them a while ago. 

20 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

With the greatest of respect, if you cannot tell the difference between collared doves, racing pigeons or wood pigeons when coming into your decoys, then I would suggest a visit to specsavers is in order !

OB

Agree. If you can’t see from the silhouette of a collared dove or racing pigeon that it isn’t a woodpigeon then you haven’t looked at enough birds to be out in the field. They are like chalk and cheese. The flight is very different too. Even stock doves are readily identifiable in shape and movement. 

On 07/01/2021 at 08:08, WalkedUp said:

Agree. If you can’t see from the silhouette of a collared dove or racing pigeon that it isn’t a woodpigeon then you haven’t looked at enough birds to be out in the field. They are like chalk and cheese. The flight is very different too. Even stock doves are readily identifiable in shape and movement. 

Anybody who cannot tell the difference between birds which are legal quarry and those which are not should not be allowed to shoot unless closely supervised by someone who can tell the difference.

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Anybody who cannot tell the difference between birds which are legal quarry and those which are not should not be allowed to shoot unless closely supervised by someone who can tell the difference.

Totally agree :good:

OB

On 09/01/2021 at 09:46, London Best said:

Always a Grey area when it comes to Feral and Racing Pigeons , When do a racing Pigeon become a Feral ? , I was once told when I asked the same question at wildfowlers meeting when we had a well paid member of staff from either W A G B I , or B A S C , ( I forget what year it was ) but the answer I got was when a Racing Pigeon land on the crop field you are shooting over it then become a Feral , not sure if that would stand up in court , or would it ? :hmm:

47 minutes ago, London Best said:

If a racing bird lands in a field you are decoying then, for certain, it’s owner will not want it back.

We had a thread a couple of years ago about the same subject , I mentioned at the time we used to shoot sack fulls of feral and take them up to Frost Game at Brockdish and got between 10 / 15 pence when the cartridges were less than half that and a lot were shot with the air rifles ( B S A Airsporter and a Webley Mark 3 ) to pass the time when things were slack in the hide and to keep the cost down , this was back in the day when the UK first got an export license to ship game abroad and at the time they couldn't get enough for the demand in Europe.

I had a member who sent me a P M to say I was shooting someone elese hobby and he wasn't at all happy .

I told him they were from the town and wouldn't be worth a light as racing Pigeons as the owners want them back to the loft as soon as possible and not stop off for a week or more feeding on a field of Pea stubble , but I don't know if he was totally convinced ,