Mushroom ID - Xerocomus Subtomentosus?

PeterHenry

It does look like a Bay boletus as Down South said, you have probably eaten it or binned it by now but I check them by smelling them, they smell like soap to me. If bruised they turn blue-ish, (but so do some others.)

There are quite a few Boletus varieties, some considered edible and some not. The one to watch out for is Devil's boletus which will give you montezumas revenge.

Below is a the result of an exceptional day's foraging showing Boletus Edulis, Red stalked Boletus, and Bay boletus (top right corner.)

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg.c048e8f41704656e98f5e7341e4c0f30.jpg

8 hours ago, martinj said:

It does look like a Bay boletus as Down South said, you have probably eaten it or binned it by now but I check them by smelling them, they smell like soap to me. If bruised they turn blue-ish, (but so do some others.)

There are quite a few Boletus varieties, some considered edible and some not. The one to watch out for is Devil's boletus which will give you montezumas revenge.

Below is a the result of an exceptional day's foraging showing Boletus Edulis, Red stalked Boletus, and Bay boletus (top right corner.)

DSC_3915a.jpg.5eea886f1968160b7b8f93975f516fe4.jpg.c048e8f41704656e98f5e7341e4c0f30.jpg

Nice foraging there! There're a couple of B. aestivalis as well (I think!).

Thanks for all the replies - I think as some have said, it is a Bay Boletus - it's currently languishing in a jar after being dehydrated.

8 hours ago, martinj said:

That is an incredible - looks like heaven

5 hours ago, martinj said:

Not sure about that, the Bay Boletus and the Red stalked Boletus (especially) bruise blue and they are good to eat, although there are non-edible boletes that go blue too.

aestivalis? 👍

Looking closer at your photo I've some of those in the bottom left corner (pores up), earlier I discarded a large specimen of the same, estimated 6" cap, as I was unsure but I always err on the side of caution. Had a few treats this year. Which variety are they?