16 bore o/u

Farmboy91

Does anyone on here shoot one? 

Been tempted for a while now into getting a mk38 trap for my next o/u but I'm a 16 bore fanboy and I've always promised myself another 16, one that actually fitted. 

I know there's not alot of choice, the rizzini round body looks the biz in my opinion and that fact it's on a scaled action and can be had fixed choke sways me even further in the direction.

I`ve got a 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige and being a true scaled down action and weighing 6 lbs 4 oz, it handles superbly.

Mine has 28 inch barrels and balances about 3/4 of an inch in front of the hinge pin and certainly doesn`t feel `front heavy`.

I can fully recommend them.

As said, the B.Rizzinis, whilst very good guns, in 16 gauge cannot be built on scaled down actions and consequently weigh in excess of 7 lbs, which I think defeats the object of a 16gauge.

OB

Thanks for all the replies, I most likely won't be going for anything myself until next year but it gives me something to oggle in the meantime! 

I did have a look at the Lincoln and they seem good value which has been backed up by what you lot have said.

9 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

16g Lincoln no.2 ejector , great guns for the price, shoots steel shot very well,   Jim.

Are you home loading? 

I've seen saga's in a no7 but what are you lot using on clays? 

36 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I`ve got a 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige and being a true scaled down action and weighing 6 lbs 4 oz, it handles superbly.

Mine has 28 inch barrels and balances about 3/4 of an inch in front of the hinge pin and certainly doesn`t feel `front heavy`.

I can fully recommend them.

As said, the B.Rizzinis, whilst very good guns, in 16 gauge cannot be built on scaled down actions and consequently weigh in excess of 7 lbs, which I think defeats the object of a 16gauge.

OB

I thought they were built on a scaled action and this article seems to verify that

Great gauge the sixteen.  I am fortunate to have a really nice original Army & Navy 16 gauge SXS which I acquired back in the early 80s for the handsom sum of £65, ok it then cost me a further £400 to have a new stock fitted/made and nitro proofed as the one on it was broken and only black powder, still a very good buy.  It was my every day game gun from standing on a peg to roaming the sides of Welsh Hills for woodcock, to grouse over pointers to mountain hare drives in Scotland and it never failed me, killing equally as good as any 12 gauge.

IF I had not had it and not now completely moved to shooting a 410 then the Lincoln Jobilee Prestige 16 gauge O/U would be sitting in my gun rack now.  Not shot one but have handled one and it felt good.

1 hour ago, button said:

Yes they are 

Confirmed here 

https://www.a-s-i.co.uk/brands/rizzini

Only .410 not built on scales action

Ahh cheers 👍

25 minutes ago, wigeon jim said:

(Are you home loading? )

Yes home load all my 16g 

Ive never shot masses of clays but did like to keep my eye in + the missus shoots clays so we'd go once a month if we could.

4 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Great gauge the sixteen.  I am fortunate to have a really nice original Army & Navy 16 gauge SXS which I acquired back in the early 80s for the handsom sum of £65, ok it then cost me a further £400 to have a new stock fitted/made and nitro proofed as the one on it was broken and only black powder, still a very good buy.  It was my every day game gun from standing on a peg to roaming the sides of Welsh Hills for woodcock, to grouse over pointers to mountain hare drives in Scotland and it never failed me, killing equally as good as any 12 gauge.

IF I had not had it and not now completely moved to shooting a 410 then the Lincoln Jobilee Prestige 16 gauge O/U would be sitting in my gun rack now.  Not shot one but have handled one and it felt good.

I didn't have anything as nice as that, only an old Belgian hammer gun for me but I fell in love with the calbire, despite smacking myself on the snout more than once where it was too short.

Always promised myself another, preferably in the o/u configuration that id keep.

Just now, Farmboy91 said:

Ahh cheers 👍

The idea of one fixed at probably 1/2 and 1/2 with 30" barrels would be ideal.

Ive never shot masses of clays but did like to keep my eye in + the missus shoots clays so we'd go once a month if we could.

I didn't have anything as nice as that, only an old Belgian hammer gun for me but I fell in love with the calbire, despite smacking myself on the snout more than once where it was too short.

Always promised myself another, preferably in the o/u configuration that id keep.

I have a browning "white lightening" 16, it weights under 7lbs. I have extended chokes in 28inch barrels. It is also a straight hand stock version which i have had significantly lengthened. I don't find it too barrel heavy. At 6ft2 and 100kg odd i find it very easy to shoot with.  love shooting 16s, i have never felt undergunned since changing from a 12. My sons william ford (1905) is an absolute gem to shoot with, if was and ejector it would be all i would use. Hopefully he grows into it quick, I bought it for him when he was three weeks old. he is now 14 months....

3 hours ago, Chriskent said:

I have a sabatti double trigger, great light little gun.

I hadn't ruled out double triggers, I never had a problem going from doubles to a single and back again. 

31 minutes ago, Zimtrout said:

My sons william ford (1905) is an absolute gem to shoot with, if was and ejector it would be all i would use. Hopefully he grows into it quick, I bought it for him when he was three weeks old. he is now 14 months....

Brilliant 😂

I wouldn't be opposed to a straight hand stock either, only thing I'm not keen on is the POW style.

The first 16g I had was when I was a young boy back in the early 60s,  I used to play cowboys with my brother ,we played with this rusty old gun which always lying around somewhere, it wasn't till I was a bit older that I decided to clean up this gun,when I set about cleaning the rust off the barrel I came across the name purdey of London , that 16g single barrel underleaver is still in my gun room hoping one day to be restored but I doubt I will ever be able to afford that, Jim.

9 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I hadn't ruled out double triggers, I never had a problem going from doubles to a single and back again. 

Brilliant 😂

I wouldn't be opposed to a straight hand stock either, only thing I'm not keen on is the POW style.

Do not confuse the  POW grip with a semi pistol grip. Many (most) people do but they are not the same thing. 

Just looked up the spec for the 16g Rizzini RB and it weighs in the region of 7 lbs 3 oz, so whilst it may be built on a dedicated action, it is, in my opinion (for what that`s worth) still heavy for a 16g. I would have thought that the ideal weight for a 16g O/U is between 6 lbs 4 oz to 6 lbs 8 oz going on the 96/1 old established weight to load ratio.

However, like many guns, perhaps the Rizzini guns are so well balanced, that the weight feels right in the hand.

I`m never likely to find out as sadly, they are now well beyond my budget.

Anyone who`s never owned or tried a 16g is missing out, as again in my opinion, they are the perfect gauge. I have never been without at least two in my cabinet and hopefully long may that continue.

OB

2 hours ago, London Best said:

In my experience, true POW grips are quite uncommon and generally are only to be found on the most expensive guns. (Just my observation).

The best description I found could of been from Holland and Holland on a website along with the pictures.

They had one of a Woodward grip too? 

I'll probably try and stick to a pistol grip as I find them pretty comfortable.