16 bore o/u

Farmboy91

18 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I hadn't ruled out double triggers, I never had a problem going from doubles to a single and back again. 

Brilliant 😂

I wouldn't be opposed to a straight hand stock either, only thing I'm not keen on is the POW style.

Got mine for £200, it’s a none ejector but does have lifters. The bargains are out there. 

3 hours ago, London Best said:

Bear in mind there are two Macnab models, Highlander and Lowlander. The Highlander is a far higher quality gun.

The Highlanders were made by B.Rizzini.

The Lowlanders by Sabatti, so as said, the Highlanders are far better guns.

However, the 16g Highlander whilst a nice gun, weighs in excess of 7 lbs.

I have a 20g Highlander and it’s a lovely gun to shoot and weighs 6 lbs.

OB

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

Agreed. I have two friends who both have Highlanders in 28 bore. Lovely to shoot.

11 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

When I read an overall review of McNab's I'm sure the 12 bore is something like 8lb. I will have a handle of a 16 if I can just to see what they feel like.

Itching to start shopping now 😬

17 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

There's a 16 bore down at Essex gun in Romford, heading that way in a few weeks time so might drop in and have a look. 

Thanks again for the pointer 👍

That 16g for sale at Essex Gun weighs 7 lbs 7 1/2 oz. However, it’s a good price for a good gun and if it feels OK to you and not too heavy, then I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed. 
Well worth a look.

Failing that, you could always take a trip across the Dartford bridge to Kent and have a try out of my 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige to see if they suit. Sorry, not for sale though !

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

42 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

That 16g for sale at Essex Gun weighs 7 lbs 7 1/2 oz.

7 1/2 pounds is a ridiculous weight for a 16 bore and completely negates the point of having a 16. To me, that is the weight of a 12 bore wildfowling magnum. Each to their own, but I like light guns.

42 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

OB

57 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

That 16g for sale at Essex Gun weighs 7 lbs 7 1/2 oz. However, it’s a good price for a good gun and if it feels OK to you and not too heavy, then I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed. 
Well worth a look.

Failing that, you could always take a trip across the Dartford bridge to Kent and have a try out of my 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige to see if they suit. Sorry, not for sale though !

OB

If I can find something to occupy the missus and lad for half hour I will definitely stop and have a look at it.

I don't want anything ridiculously heavy as I really don't plan on shooting more than an Oz through it.

I'll be swinging round your way in December so might hold you to that 👍

32 minutes ago, Zimtrout said:

Be very interested to see how you get on.....

I haven't heard a bad word about the Lincoln and they certainly aren't a bad looking gun either, have to see how the McNab swings and balances. 

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

7 1/2 pounds is a ridiculous weight for a 16 bore and completely negates the point of having a 16. To me, that is the weight of a 12 bore wildfowling magnum. Each to their own, but I like light guns.

I couldn't do a heavy gun anymore, as I said to OB the mk38 trap is balanced so well it doesn't feel like the beast it actually is, I can see why they have such a big following but I get the feeling my days of shooting a 100+ sporting are over.

35 minutes ago, London Best said:

Agreed, 7 1/2 lbs is too heavy for a 16 but each to their own I suppose. 

I did have a 16g Highlander for a short while and whilst it felt OK in the shop, once I used it in the field, I realised that it wasn`t for me. I have therefore stuck to my 16g Prestige (6 lbs 4 oz), my 20g Highlander (6 lbs)and of course my `not to be got rid of`16g side by sides,(all around 6 lbs) which I now use predominantly.

Still waiting for someone to produce 16g steel (not HP) cartridge to use in my Prestige for my occasional duck shooting as I`m now running out of my rather expensive stash of Bismuth.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Agreed, 7 1/2 lbs is too heavy for a 16 but each to their own I suppose. 

16g Prestige (6 lbs 4 oz), my 20g Highlander (6 lbs)and of course my `not to be got rid of`16g side by sides,(all around 6 lbs) which I now use predominantly.

OB

Way to go! 
A man after my own heart. My 12 bore game gun weighs just 6 lbs 2 oz.

I suppose it depends on what you want it for, what load you want to fire through it?

I have tried all of the fiber wad cartridges that just cartridges sell. not on a pattern plate but decoying pigeons. 

they all work, depends on what speed you want? even though this may be purely perceived. 

I shot my second ever century with the lyvale load, 30g 6s (tired after 140 odd shots) and some of my best birds with the hull clay cartridge, 26g of 7.5s.....so go figure. 

Like I say I hanker after an English sbs ejector with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes, 30 inch barrels and a 15inch stock. (highly figured pretty wood and amazing hand engraving) all for £500 if anybody is selling one......

I'm thinking something like 7/8 of an Oz of 7.5's for clays and an Oz of 6.5 or 7's for game. 

I'm not interested in speed in the slightest, slower, smoother cartridge with a decent pattern is what I'm after, anything heavier hitting will go through the auto. I can get 16's locally but the selection isn't massive. Home loading will atleast give me the opportunity to play about a bit and find something that works.

I think somewhere I've got a few odd Eley grand Prix in 16 left over, 26.5g possibly, maybe go for something along those lines as they shot well.

I’ve tried various cartridges through my 16s. Without doubt RC 28gm fibre are the best followed by Fiocchi 28gm but they are plastic wad. I did a blind test on a shoot day where I took RC,  Fiocchi, Hull and old Eley vip In equal quantities in my cartridge bag and just shot what came to hand. For me the RC & Fiocchi were noticeably better killers, Hull kicked hard and the Eley vip disappointing to say the least. I had some ejection problems with Fiocchi due to the high brass but all I shoot now is RC 28 gm fibre 6.

57 minutes ago, Down South said:

I’ve tried various cartridges through my 16s. Without doubt RC 28gm fibre are the best followed by Fiocchi 28gm but they are plastic wad. I did a blind test on a shoot day where I took RC,  Fiocchi, Hull and old Eley vip In equal quantities in my cartridge bag and just shot what came to hand. For me the RC & Fiocchi were noticeably better killers, Hull kicked hard and the Eley vip disappointing to say the least. I had some ejection problems with Fiocchi due to the high brass but all I shoot now is RC 28 gm fibre 6.

Totally agree. I use RC 28grm fibre wads 6s in my 16s and find them superior to Eley VIPs.
Once you find a cartridge that suits, I think confidence then kicks in and you shoot better. Also, you know that any misses are down to user error without blaming the cartridge.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

10 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

@Old Boggy, sorry I could do a link but this is similar page 👍

Screenshot_20200918-220717.png

Thanks for clarifying that. So my O/Us have half pistol grips and not POW grips (I think !).
Assuming half pistol is the same as semi pistol.

Certainly sounds better than ‘round knob’ !

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

Thanks for clarifying that. So my O/Us have half pistol grips and not POW grips (I think !).
Assuming half pistol is the same as semi pistol.

Certainly sounds better than ‘round knob’ !

OB

This is the one I was actually looking at, it has it as semi. I'd also seen it referred to as a pommel grip too. 

10 hours ago, Zimtrout said:

Interesting, I am not a fan of any of them. I do like that silvers pad though.....

I do like a full pistol, but yes the pad certainly does look 👌

Screenshot_20200919-092606.png

1 hour ago, Farmboy91 said:

This is the one I was actually looking at, it has it as semi. I'd also seen it referred to as a pommel grip too. 

I do like a full pistol, but yes the pad certainly does look 👌

Screenshot_20200919-092606.png

I  will therefore refer to my O/Us as having semi-pistol grips in future and not POW grips.

Many thanks for the clarification. 

OB