Transport Manager

B725

I was going to elaborate on my answer but it seems the edit function doesn't work.

It depends how the company is set up. Some companies might have a Director or someone who holds a CPC and the Operator's licence - then the Transport Manager doesn't need one. 👍

2 minutes ago, B725 said:

CPC ?

Certificate of Professional Competence. HGV drivers need personal ones. Someone in the office needs one too.

You can be a transport manager in position, but only a CPC holder can manage. In other words be in charge. You signature on documents, your responsibility. You are where the buck stops for everything, licensing, tax, registration, application for operating licence for individual vehicles, compliance (thats the biggy). Something goes wrong, it's your responsibility, your fault and you personally that appears in court. Not the directors, not the shareholders, not your boss. 

The only way I know of of becoming a transport manager without a CPC and thats not the driver CPC which every driver must have, plus a licence for the vehicle and a digital tacho card which is also your responsibility to check and maintain, is by carriage of only the goods you produce and nothing else for hire or reward. However, you still have almost as much responsibility and just as much chance of falling foul of the law as a CPC holder.

It's a minefield that not a lot of people choose to walk. 

My mate works as one, he wasn’t qualified when he started but had to sit exams as he went. 

He’s responsible for the lot, the other week a driver didn’t secure a truck properly and an arm flew off and killed a pedestrian and he had to go through everything as it’s his names on the docs.

They also keep trying to put other “transport managers” in post that are unqualified under his personal licence. 

Sounds a bit dodgy but he’s told them that’s a non-starter ... although I’m sure he was under someone else’s licence when he started.

Money seems to vary quite a bit as well from company to company, he used to be flat out all the time and used to go in on most every Saturday (unpaid) just to stay on top of everything and make his life less stressful when he went back in on Monday. 

I told him he was a fool and was working for free, but he refused to let the work slide or slip because at the end of the day he was personally responsible for any incidents that happen, as mentioned above. 

Hi , if the goods you are delivering belong to you or are manufactured by you , you can be a 'nominated' transport manager and run your vehicles on the 'Restricted' Orange Disc . This tells DVSA that you are not conducting 'General Haulage' , but are restricted to carriage of goods as described above.

This 'nominated' Transport manager does not need a Transport Managers qualification as such,( Certificate of Professional Competence) Road Haulage. 

But , would still be responsible for the Driver and Vehicle Records, Maintenance and Standards. Whereas , the CPC Holder for a General Haulage company would have further responsibilities, for type of loads, correct documentation.(ADR eg Petrol , explosives , hazardous waste etc etc)

I could go on , explaining that the T Manager must be of 'good character' (DBS checked for offences/criminal records) .

I hope this helps.

Longbower .

RSA Transport Manager.

You do not need a CPC in PCV or HGV if you get a restricted licence this means PCV up to sixteen seats a bloke had a skip lorry  on restricted if that is any help Look for blue or (RESTRICTED) orange licence in window screen  I to prove i had extra funds in bank and every six weeks a safety  check

Edited by bottletopbill

I'm quite sure B725 was asking a basic question not the ins and outs of the fine print of the RHA.

The short answer is it depends on the setup of the company in question and only that company could give you a factual answer based on their circumstances.

52 minutes ago, walshie said:

I'm quite sure B725 was asking a basic question not the ins and outs of the fine print of the RHA.

The short answer is it depends on the setup of the company in question and only that company could give you a factual answer based on their circumstances.

It was I work for a local authority and we have had three in the last six months all young uns , what I cannot find out just who should have the qualifications .

I worked as a transport manager for a company that operated 3.5t LWB vans and got there through promotion with no relevant qualifications. The company grew then introduced LGVs into the fleet and things got more complicated. I sat my CPC, but was well under prepared for the increase in paperwork and stress involved.

The job went from being rather enjoyable to a nightmare. I ended up leaving under mutual terms as it really started to effect my mental health. As @Smokersmith said, you need to be a special breed of person to do the job well.

My father-in-law was a transport manager for a large haulage company and loved it though. How he juggled everything was beyond me.