Where are all the pigeons?

Longbower

9 hours ago, Balotelli said:

For some time I have been saying there are few pigeons in Leicestershire. Either they have all died from pigeon-pox or they have emigrated. What is the situation in Norfolk, normally a haven for pigeons?

Norfolk is very heavily involved in game shooting at this time of the year, a lot of stubble fields would be used for Partridge shooting and the fields would be out of bounds for pigeon shooting .

Also a lot of people who shoot pigeons are into wildfowling and take part in the shoots , so although the pigeons are still about you will find this is the quite time of the year as far as pigeon shooting go .

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Norfolk is very heavily involved in game shooting at this time of the year, a lot of stubble fields would be used for Partridge shooting and the fields would be out of bounds for pigeon shooting .

Also a lot of people who shoot pigeons are into wildfowling and take part in the shoots , so although the pigeons are still about you will find this is the quite time of the year as far as pigeon shooting go .

Thanks for the reply. There is nothing on the stubble here whether game shoots or not. They just seem to have vanished from everywhere. 

On 17/09/2020 at 12:51, motty said:

You can say "there are no pigeons in Leicestershire," but that is simply not the case. You obviously haven't checked all the fields etc in Leicestershire. 

Hi Guys must agree with Motty No pigeons in leicestershire

I pigeon shoot in East Leicestershire and have done so on and off for quite a few years

Believe me there are plenty of birds out there Don't throw your gear away yet guys

Some times its a bit like the old Wild west films "I can't see know injuns out there sergeant next thing you know you have an arrow through your hat"

they could be in the stubble / in the woods  even on some one else's fields or even in the suburbs but they are there in big numbers

Dave 

Sign In - Pigeon Watch Forums.html

On 22/09/2020 at 19:15, david Paul Gag said:

Hi Guys must agree with Motty No pigeons in leicestershire

I pigeon shoot in East Leicestershire and have done so on and off for quite a few years

Believe me there are plenty of birds out there Don't throw your gear away yet guys

Some times its a bit like the old Wild west films "I can't see know injuns out there sergeant next thing you know you have an arrow through your hat"

they could be in the stubble / in the woods  even on some one else's fields or even in the suburbs but they are there in big numbers

Dave 

Sign In - Pigeon Watch Forums.html 17.65 kB · 1 download

For some time I've been commenting that there are just no pigeons about in Leicestershire. The advice that I received was that I could not see them in the stubble, drive around more, get more permissions etc. etc. you just have to find them. At long last, I might just have been  judged to be correct. I've stated time and time again in various posts, driving around aimlessly is a waste of time and fuel, you might as well accept the fact that the pigeons are not there. Rather than clutch at "straws" get on and do those domestic chores that have been put on the back burner for the "stubble shooting" that never happened. Better times will come but there needs to be some sea change, temperature, drillings or whatever. I've stated many a time, I'm referring to Leicestershire. Pigeons may be in abundance in other parts of the country but judging from other posts, few and far between. Sometimes we need to think a little more outside of the box. If you are desperate to shoot get on to the corvids and forget the pigeons for the time being.  Dave, this post is not aimed specifically at you but a general comment to Forum members.

10 hours ago, Balotelli said:

For some time I've been commenting that there are just no pigeons about in Leicestershire. The advice that I received was that I could not see them in the stubble, drive around more, get more permissions etc. etc. you just have to find them. At long last, I might just have been  judged to be correct. I've stated time and time again in various posts, driving around aimlessly is a waste of time and fuel, you might as well accept the fact that the pigeons are not there. Rather than clutch at "straws" get on and do those domestic chores that have been put on the back burner for the "stubble shooting" that never happened. Better times will come but there needs to be some sea change, temperature, drillings or whatever. I've stated many a time, I'm referring to Leicestershire. Pigeons may be in abundance in other parts of the country but judging from other posts, few and far between. Sometimes we need to think a little more outside of the box. If you are desperate to shoot get on to the corvids and forget the pigeons for the time being.  Dave, this post is not aimed specifically at you but a general comment to Forum members.

Think most who have been shooting pigeons for some time do not drive around aimlessly, if you know your ground/farms and what’s been sown and when its likely to-be cut/combined you have a good idea of where to look and at what time.

6 minutes ago, old'un said:

Think most who have been shooting pigeons for some time do not drive around aimlessly, if you know your ground/farms and what’s been sown and when its likely to-be cut/combined you have a good idea of where to look and at what time.

spot on had i not wasted my time driving round aimlessly tues i would not have seen the first few on rape or be shooting drilled wheat tomorrow think i can see why our man here struggles now 

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Absolutely. That's what I have been doing off and on and there are few about pigeons and this has been echoed by many other posts. Sometimes I think some Forum members are in denial. One caveat - it may well be different in other parts of the Country - I can't vouch for them.

1 hour ago, Balotelli said:

Absolutely. That's what I have been doing off and on and there are few about pigeons and this has been echoed by many other posts. Sometimes I think some Forum members are in denial. One caveat - it may well be different in other parts of the Country - I can't vouch for them.

I went out Monday and had the farms in mind that might show some pigeons, the fields were wheat and bean stubble and a couple of old barley stubble fields I had shot some weeks earlier and noticed a few blacks on them, after driving to each field in turn and watching for a while I eventually ended back at home without firing a shot, the round trip was about 40 miles and around 4 hours of my time, very few pigeons about and no flight lines, now go back a few weeks and the old barley stubble I looked at produced a very decent bag of pigeons two days after it was combined.

Pigeons can be in biggish numbers one day but the next day its as if something as sucked them all up and moved them to a different part of the country.

Somewhere in Leicestershire there are fields being hit by pigeons, its knowing when and where these fields are that's the problem. :yes:

a

11 hours ago, old'un said:

i don' t think he has that in his armoury end of 

9 hours ago, old'un said:

I went out Monday and had the farms in mind that might show some pigeons, the fields were wheat and bean stubble and a couple of old barley stubble fields I had shot some weeks earlier and noticed a few blacks on them, after driving to each field in turn and watching for a while I eventually ended back at home without firing a shot, the round trip was about 40 miles and around 4 hours of my time, very few pigeons about and no flight lines, now go back a few weeks and the old barley stubble I looked at produced a very decent bag of pigeons two days after it was combined.

Pigeons can be in biggish numbers one day but the next day its as if something as sucked them all up and moved them to a different part of the country.

Somewhere in Leicestershire there are fields being hit by pigeons, its knowing when and where these fields are that's the problem.

Thanks for the reply. The first part of your opening paragraph has been similar to my experience this year. I trawled all sorts of stubble after harvest and did find a couple of flocks of a hundred or so. As soon as you get out of the motor they have gone en-masse with no intention of returning. There were so many stubble fields they could have gone anywhere. Last year was completely different. Refering to your second para, it's odd that a field is blue one day and barren the next but I guess that's what makes it interesting and frustrating at the same time. I'm really not sure if there are any number of pigeons in Leicestershire at the moment. I do cover quite a bit of land unless they are on something that I've not considered. 

1 hour ago, yickdaz said:

a

i don' t think he has that in his armoury end of 

A deep and well thought out comment. 

27 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Thanks for the reply. The first part of your opening paragraph has been similar to my experience this year. I trawled all sorts of stubble after harvest and did find a couple of flocks of a hundred or so. As soon as you get out of the motor they have gone en-masse with no intention of returning. There were so many stubble fields they could have gone anywhere. Last year was completely different. Refering to your second para, it's odd that a field is blue one day and barren the next but I guess that's what makes it interesting and frustrating at the same time. I'm really not sure if there are any number of pigeons in Leicestershire at the moment. I do cover quite a bit of land unless they are on something that I've not considered. 

A deep and well thought out comment. 

No a honest one 👍

29 minutes ago, Balotelli said:

Generally, before a vowel or an "h" it is an. For example, an hotel, an honest one etc. I'm always happy to help whether grammar or shooting matters. Just ask! 

if your doing the agony aunt with shooting advice when you can’t find pigeons what’s your advice on budgies are they hard to decoy? 

8 hours ago, B725 said:

Budgies with being an aquatic and nocturnal creature can only be decoyed at night on a high tide.

Fake news.!!!. 

We all know its trill and flaked cuttle fish. Normally drilled on the plains of South Leicestershire late October towards mkt Harborough. Little fellas are hard to get on the ff6 and keep coming off the magnet. 🤫

23 minutes ago, B725 said:

Fake in ell no wonder I never managed to get any 🤣

You have to make sure you get your sandpaper sheets right 9 of them in a semi circle with the flapper at the front or they won't decoy the magnet speed is critical or they will flare off. 

There's a lot of people on the forums asking for reports where they are to save time driving round aimlessly looking for what they can't see  but keep it to yourself and you'll be rewarded with a decent bag. 👍

10 minutes ago, B725 said:

Can you use a mirror and a ladder to entice them and would wearing budgie smugglers help.

Not in bright sunlight. Always wear bugie smugglers boxers tend to chafe the the legs. Ladders are optional remember you have a lot of kit to carry. 

22 hours ago, Balotelli said:

Generally, before a vowel or an "h" it is an. For example, an hotel, an honest one etc. I'm always happy to help whether grammar or shooting matters. Just ask! 

ok you might have better grammar and put me right on that but, i'll pass on the help with shooting matters