Sprig band on shooting hats?

LeedsZeppelin

46 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

It's for putting decoration in !!

Some may have a 'sprig' of heather .. more commonly feathers.

You'll often see them on the rhs hatband of pork pie hats and fore & aft's.

Is there a tradition to adding sprigs to hats?

I can understand some styles of hat having a band to hold a sprig, but I'm struggling to believe that Blaser have taken the expense to add one to a bright orange baseball cap on the off chance someone is going to walk around a clay ground with a feather stuck out of it. Unless there is some link to tradition.

13 minutes ago, cardigun said:

On the continent, especially Germany, there are traditions about how you honour the dead quarry.  One such tradition is to pick a sprig of a nearby tree and place it on the beast as a "last meal " offering, and sticking a bit of the sprig in your hat to indicate  your success.

Thanks.👍 

I thought they would be some tradition behind it and just having a quick look into it, that sounds like the one. Interesting stuff.

7 hours ago, cardigun said:

On the continent, especially Germany, there are traditions about how you honour the dead quarry.  One such tradition is to pick a sprig of a nearby tree and place it on the beast as a "last meal " offering, and sticking a bit of the sprig in your hat to indicate  your success.

Yep, I think this is the answer. Was never a problem with the old/normal headgear as they ahd a full band but with the 'fashion' of base ball caps I suppose the manufacturers saw the need.

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Email Blaser and ask them, report back and let us all know 👍

You've got a keen eye!

I went to the Blaser website to find an email address to ask them, and ended looking at the caps. They are described as "Cap with tab for the German traditional “Branch of respect” ".

I guess that answers the question.

All over the Continent when an animal is shot it is given it's last meal and a second sprig of leaves are presented to the shooter who puts it in their hat. I shot two wild boar and a red hind in Poland back in the early 90s and looked like an oak tree . Everyone you meet then comes over and shakes hands and congratulates you. Very traditional.