Vintage air rifles,

redial

some of the older BSA's are fine..you have to start off with a good one...and then have it fettled...........if you are plinking in the garden...then the heavier HW range might be better..still very accurate without being worked on......

i fetteled both my BSA and HW

merc fin strap 001tn_.JPG

rats and stuff 005tn_.JPG

niges puffer 007tn_.JPG

Light Pattern or Standard Pattern. The .177 calibre ones tend to be the most accurate. If you want one that's even more accurate than the superb accuracy they have anyway? Then buy one that's had a flip up rearsight fixed to the butt. Never overlook that the guys that used this for that great pub sport of bell target shooting were shooting for money. If someone went to the trouble of spending some of that money on a rearsight that means that rifle will be seriously accurate.

8 hours ago, London Best said:

When the OP said, “older BSA’s”, I think he meant pre WW2 or even pre WW1.

I have an old bsa ultra mk1 from around 2005  and a mk1 bsa scorpion from even earlier  .

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking ? 

They may not be ancient but I collect them as that era means the most to me .

9 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

I have an old bsa ultra mk1 from around 2005  and a mk1 bsa scorpion from even earlier  .

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking ? 

They may not be ancient but I collect them as that era means the most to me .

The thread title “Vintage Air Rifles”.
2005 may seem old to some, but it is hardly vintage.

@ snarepeg: 

That looks a nice example. 1930’s model. 
I have a small collection of BSA spring air rifles dating from 1905 to 1965. I think there are 18 altogether. Eleven of them are pre 1939 with six of those being pre WW1. Every one is different.  Some are very nice condition and some have suffered 100 plus years of farm use, but all still work.

43 minutes ago, London Best said:

@ snarepeg: 

I have a small collection of BSA spring air rifles dating from 1905 to 1965. I think there are 18 altogether. Eleven of them are pre 1939 with six of those being pre WW1. Every one is different.  Some are very nice condition and some have suffered 100 plus years of farm use, but all still work.

What sort of power were they designed for as new? Compared with todays springers.

36 minutes ago, London Best said:

@ snarepeg: 

Yes.

there are some real dogs about from that era, but would say this has had very little use.

its still got its original screws, not molested much, (usually caused by wrong size/type screwdriver.)

its smooth cocking, very positive sear sound engagement.

it shoots at about 10 ft/lb, very crisp trigger let of not HW record but adequate for its age.

have shot literally 1000s of rabbits with one in the early 50s before mixie came.

its a time capsule to when we were a manufacturing nation of quality items..👍🇬🇧🇬🇧

• 1 month later...

Hi

I'd go for a BSA Standard, The top two of these are Standards, Third down is a 1906 BSA Air Rifle, Bottom one is I think a Model D

jDy3sdM.jpg

The Standard shoots with more power due to the larger size..

A comparison between The Standard and the 1906 guns cylinders..

gHGZeOI.jpg

There's also older Webley rifles like the little mk1 and the Service mk2 rifles, The mk3 are also very nicely made..

FZCRzbi.jpg

The mk3 is my fave Webbo, The top one is a very early first series with the two stage trigger 👍

48LmYsN.jpg

The old Original model 50's are very nice to shoot too, The three ball sear trigger is fab to use 😉

I refurbished the stock on this one as it was a bit nasty!

1z8DpGb.jpg

Also, The Mod50 type 01 is nice if a bit bigger than it's predecessor

6rDSFTt.jpg

aBlxL3e.jpg These are a bit harder to find though..

Another nice gun to shoot is the early Airsporters (Mk1 and 2) with their auto opening loading taps!

Y1tTWIB.jpg

Don't be tempted in to buying Jackal pseudo mil guns as they're really loud and vibrate terribley with the plazzie stocks!

The timpber stocked ones seem fine though!

htWWRZ2.jpg

Good luck with whatever you go with 👍😎

John 🙂

Quick question on Webley MkIII

I’ve had mine over 60 yrs and the front sight now wobbles / floats in its “slot” so it doesn’t hold zero. So as not to damage the gun I’ve tried wedging it with bits of cocktail stick but it soon dislodges.

Advice on a solution to the problem please. Thanks.