Insurance query

Scully

This doesn’t affect me one way or another, it just occurred to me while talking to a mate this afternoon. 
While we stood talking in the town centre, we both turned around after hearing a bit of a crunch, to see a vehicle had reversed into another parked vehicle. 
The reversing vehicle had reversed out of a parking space across two lanes of the main road through our small market town, to hit a car parked against the direction of traffic, in a space which is designated ( but never enforced ) as a bus parking space. 
I have no axe to grind and genuinely am indifferent to the outcome, I just wondered if anyone on here was involved in insurance who could explain what the likely outcome would be given those details. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

This doesn’t affect me one way or another, it just occurred to me while talking to a mate this afternoon. 
While we stood talking in the town centre, we both turned around after hearing a bit of a crunch, to see a vehicle had reversed into another parked vehicle. 
The reversing vehicle had reversed out of a parking space across two lanes of the main road through our small market town, to hit a car parked against the direction of traffic, in a space which is designated ( but never enforced ) as a bus parking space. 
I have no axe to grind and genuinely am indifferent to the outcome, I just wondered if anyone on here was involved in insurance who could explain what the likely outcome would be given those details. 

The fact the parked car shouldn’t have been where it was doesn’t justify the driver hitting it. I assume the driver is fully at fault.

12 minutes ago, Munzy said:

The fact the parked car shouldn’t have been where it was doesn’t justify the driver hitting it. I assume the driver is fully at fault.

Yes, I entirely agree the reversing driver was fully responsible, I was just wondering if the circumstances  would allow an insurance company a get out clause. 
A parked car of mine was almost written off by a drunk driver one night, and my insurance agent ( back in the days when we knew them personally! 🙂) told me that if my car had been facing against the flow of traffic it would have affected my claim. I don’t know if this is still the case. 

Edited by Scully

Interesting post,   all i can add is that where i used to work, a guy before being our finance director worked as part of a chain of international insurance companies.  His words still ring true,  

"if you want to make money open an insurance company, you sell a piece of paper, then when a claim is made you look for every way to avoid paying it, then you charge them more for the same piece of paper the following year" 

That about sums it up for me, it seems they will look for every reason not to pay out.  

Edited by Terry2016

On 17/09/2020 at 19:26, discobob said:

I was reversed into while parked and sat in the car. The guy tried to make out it was my fault because I was on the phone. I told him that even if I was doing away with my wife in the car it wouldn't have an impact on where the blame lay!!!

This is exactly what happened to my mises in morrisons last year 

sat in a bay , talking nonsence on phone to her mum . 

Next thing crunch 

Other driver got out admitted fault exchanged details.

My mises rang her insurance reported it . 

couple days later her Insurance Rang her Back , they said The other woman said It was infact my mises fault . 

6 month later they decided it was Settled at 50/50 Knock for knock !  WOW ! 

£1200 car repairs on the credit card !

I was driving down an A road aged 17. A driver pulled out from a side street onto the rear side of my mum’s car. Both myself and the other driver shared an insurance company. I took photographs and wrote a detailed description of what happened. The company wrote to us to inform me it had settled 50:50 🙈

• 2 weeks later...