Lost Ferrets

Jonty

I I got up this morning to find that both my ferrets had gone due to my son not locking the hutch door after playing with them last night.  At the moment I've left the ground level door open with plenty of meaty food and I've also set a cage trap nearby to the hutch.  I don't have a lot of experience with ferrets so if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of other things I could be doing to hopefully get them back I would really appreciate it as I'm absolutely gutted that they've gone.

Hope you're not near anyone's chickens. A wise old man once told me never tell anyone you've lost a ferret. If they turn up in a chicken pen, you'll have a bill to pay, even just to keep the peace. Or if they do any other damage. If someone comes to you with one and ask's is this your's say no but i don't mind giving it a home, you never know what it's done before they caught it...... :good: Good luck.

17 minutes ago, dodgy dave said:

i lost mine once it was only overnight but i found it next morning it was as nasty as hell when i picked it up it bit me about ten times i could not belive it how scared it was of me so keep a pair of gloves handy

Thanks Dave, I did actually root a pair of heavy gloves out first thing.  Amazingly one of them is back home after it was spotted on the sofa of a nearby glamping pod - I really hope her sister is near by.

My hob went missing earlier in the year, fed him at 10pm, shut the cage. At 1am he was spotted on the side of a main road 3 miles away, I suspect human intervention.

Anyhow, he stuck around that spot, and a passer by managed to catch him 2 nights later, we'd left a cage out and she stuck him in there for me to pick up. 

Thanks for the advice folks, 2nd ferret turned up in one of our sheds this morning, obviously very scared as When here sister came to say hello she went for her big style.  Both in separate cages for now until she’s rested and fed and calmed down.  

@Walker570my son (11) was in tatter, fortunately with the positive outcome, the best thing is that he learned a seriously important lesson.

thanks again for the suggestions .

F53A6C3B-E8C2-4152-89EA-FDED9D9AA1E3.jpeg

Edited by Jonty

On 20/09/2020 at 08:33, Jonty said:

Thanks for the advice folks, 2nd ferret turned up in one of our sheds this morning, obviously very scared as When here sister came to say hello she went for her big style.  Both in separate cages for now until she’s rested and fed and calmed down.  

@Walker570my son (11) was in tatter, fortunately with the positive outcome, the best thing is that he learned a seriously important lesson.

thanks again for the suggestions .

F53A6C3B-E8C2-4152-89EA-FDED9D9AA1E3.jpeg

Great pic! There’s nothing as chilled as a ferret in a hammock! 
I only ever lost mine while ferreting really; if the odd one escaped people would always know whose it was if they saw one ratching about and give me a call.

Glad you’re all sorted with a happy outcome. 

Edited by Scully

Update/query

when the second fert arrived home) after 2 nights out), when I Put her back in with her sister (same mum but 1 litter apart - been together since birth so to speak), they had a proper scrap- I’ve never seen them do that before.  Now they are in the same cage and sleeping separately and keeping their distance whereas they have always  slept and played constantly together.  One has tried to get together with her sister but sister sees her off big style.  I’m hoping it’ll sort itself out, so at the moment they are in the house so I can hear if they start scrapping with each other ........... I hope it gets sorted soon and I can get them back into somewhere  more ‘Ventilated’