You Have To Admire His Bottle

wymberley

39 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I don't admire his stupidity!

🤣🤣🤣🤣

18 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

And the govt over here think they are a good idea 🤔

I sincerely dread the thought of these cars driving themselves on our roads 

They'd probably be better than most people driving. 

Everyday see people pulling out when there is blatantly a car coming, poor lane control, driving in the middle of 2 lanes on motorways, driving in the middle of 2 lanes on round about’s, running red lights, driving around the wrong way dangerously. 

32 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Everyday see people pulling out when there is blatantly a car coming, poor lane control, driving in the middle of 2 lanes on motorways, driving in the middle of 2 lanes on round about’s, running red lights, driving around the wrong way dangerously. 

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of poor drivers out there but my issue is that whoever programs these cars is most likely going to be some computer genius. What they are most likely not to be is a driver, I don't mean someone with a driving license I mean someone who can actually drive ,Someone who can read the car and the road and the situation and pick up on things before they actually happen.

Autonomous cars will all end up with a set of compromises, and it will end up going wrong more often than is being let on at the moment and it certainly wont be the end of RTC's. 

16 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

Don't get me wrong there are plenty of poor drivers out there but my issue is that whoever programs these cars is most likely going to be some computer genius. What they are most likely not to be is a driver, I don't mean someone with a driving license I mean someone who can actually drive ,Someone who can read the car and the road and the situation and pick up on things before they actually happen.

Autonomous cars will all end up with a set of compromises, and it will end up going wrong more often than is being let on at the moment and it certainly wont be the end of RTC's. 

I hear where you're coming from, but the last thing we want is a driver. We have millions of those - these are the ones that fail to give way when they should and especially at round-a-bouts and fail to indicate - or worse indicate when they should not.

What we need is a motorist.

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Except for being able to perform an emergency stop when necessary!

I have a Tesla but without the fully autonomous driving capability (which isn’t yet authorised for use in the EU/UK yet). Even so it is a seriously capable bit of kit. The guy on Canada must have somehow overridden the safety device as you need to keep you hand on the wheel and it reminds you to do so every 30 Seconds. If you fail to respond then it disengages autopilot. 

The longest I have managed on ‘autopilot’ was from my house to Ebbsfleet intl train station (about 50 miles) which involved M11/M25/A2 early one morning. Didn’t need to do anything other than keep my hand on the wheel. 

Fully autonomous cars are coming. 

The days of having a vehicle for personal transport that you can steer and brake for yourself are limited, maybe another 15 years tops.   EVs are just a stepping stone to fully automated transport.

If we started out today from scratch and the suggestion was  made of putting humans in 1 ton+ powered vehicles on roads where they would be heading in opposite directions at 60mph+ and you left the humans to do the steering and applying the brakes the idea would be thrown out in an instant....it's a terrible idea that would result in a lot of needless deaths......🙃

46 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I hear where you're coming from, but the last thing we want is a driver. We have millions of those - these are the ones that fail to give way when they should and especially at round-a-bouts and fail to indicate - or worse indicate when they should not.

What we need is a motorist.

I think our idea of driver and motorist is the same thing, different title.

There are millions as you say who fall into the catagory of having a driving license, but that doesn't make them a driver/motorist. 

All these cars will encourage that lazy, arrogant attitude many already have. 

Round where I live it's probably 95% single track roads, and the amount of people who can't reverse into a passing place is ridiculous. 

I've just pulled up to pick my lad up from school, on the way here after rounding a blind bend I came across and old boy in the Honda 4x4 stopped in the middle of the road, leaning across looking at the board outside a pub 🙄

These people don't need cars that can drive themselves, they need there licenses reviewing. 

Edited by Farmboy91
Spelling

16 minutes ago, AVB said:

I have a Tesla but without the fully autonomous driving capability (which isn’t yet authorised for use in the EU/UK yet). Even so it is a seriously capable bit of kit. The guy on Canada must have somehow overridden the safety device as you need to keep you hand on the wheel and it reminds you to do so every 30 Seconds. If you fail to respond then it disengages autopilot. 

The longest I have managed on ‘autopilot’ was from my house to Ebbsfleet intl train station (about 50 miles) which involved M11/M25/A2 early one morning. Didn’t need to do anything other than keep my hand on the wheel. 

I’m sure I saw a video of somebody wedging an orange in the steering wheel that fooled the car into thinking somebody had their hand on the wheel.

28 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

There are millions as you say who fall into the catagory of having a driving license, but that doesn't make them a driver/motorist. 

Round where I live it's probably 95% single track roads, and the amount of people who can't reverse into a passing place is ridiculous. 

I've just pulled up to pick my lad up from school, on the way here after rounding a blind bend I came across and old boy in the Honda 4x4 stopped in the middle of the road, leaning across looking at the board outside a pub 🙄

These people don't need cars that can drive themselves, they need there licenses reviewing. 

If somebody is going to be lazy/arrogant then they will be so without self driving cars. Self driving cars will be an asset for the majority of drivers. 

2 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

Motorists were already an endangered species when the M1 was started and were extinct before decimal currency came in.

2 hours ago, AVB said:

Same here my Volvo has it - as long as keep a hand on the wheel it’ll do everything, takes some getting used to but it’s brilliant. The car is also capable of reacting to hazards more quickly than I do (I’m advanced driver trained with a copper for an old man when learning to drive) - sometimes tho the safety systems react when they don’t need to. 

I would much rather have cars like this on the roads than the standard of driving too many of the population have - once they become more widespread they will be “connected” so will know where each other are become even safer. 

I work for a car manufacturer so see some of the tech that’s coming and I am confident the roads will become safer. 

8 minutes ago, oscarsdad said:

I work for a car manufacturer so see some of the tech that’s coming and I am confident the roads will become safer. 

Until everyone is relying on the tech and it fails, as technology does.

3 hours ago, AVB said:

If you fail to respond then it disengages autopilot. 

Sounds like a very safe safety feature.

1 hour ago, oscarsdad said:

It could fail of course - but I would suggest the chance of it failing is significantly lower than a human being tired / distracted / drunk / drugged / plain stupid 

Yes, but when it does fail, and it will fail, and the very same idiot is in the car relying on the technology, is it the technologies fault or the human, because if the human is responsible then self driving cars are pointless, having driver aid safety features yes, but self driving pointless.

Edited by Newbie to this

19 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes, but when it does fail, and it will fail, and the very same idiot is in the car relying on the technology, is it the technologies fault or the human, because if the human is responsible then self driving cars are pointless, having driver aid safety features yes, but self diving pointless.

Agreed - aids are great and reduce the chances of stupidity causing accidents. You really would have to try hard to have an accident in my Volvo but if you left it entirely to it’s own devices I suspect it may be able to crash itself.