Antler Priest

SamT

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Buffaloe horn pinned and glued will polish up beautifully.

Beat me to that Dave. I was trying to find a photo of the one that I made with buffalo horn capping each end and the business end filled with lead and a leather lanyard. Unfortunately, I left it somewhere in the field, so have got to make another sometime. As said, it`s important to pin the caps. I don`t think that it`s entirely necessary to add lead as I did, as the weight of the antler is probably heavy enough.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

As said above a nice bit of brass polished up but well piined in place. I made one a little while back used brass for the impact point but capped it on the crown with brass spacer and a cow horn cap.

I filled the crown with lead for an extra bit of weight, 

priest2.JPG.351dcc6ddd1b398d03c8a735258a03ac.jpg.a8c80d45d3d59754e72adbcc08fc37fa.jpg

Edited by fatchap

brass   walnut   rams horn   maple   oak   mahogany   ash    (Corian  hard plastic worktop material app 1/2 " thick  )  i have various colors  will have a look in daylight if your interested re colors      can help with all except brass at the moment             lead shot to weight no problem         all easy to work and polish up well     if anyone  interested  get in touch  ill sort something       what sizes do you need for priest caps      stick ends/ caps     if i can help its yours   man cave clear out only to fill again 🙂

13 hours ago, fatchap said:

As said above a nice bit of brass polished up but well piined in place. I made one a little while back used brass for the impact point but capped it on the crown with brass spacer and a cow horn cap.

I filled the crown with lead for an extra bit of weight, 

priest2.JPG.351dcc6ddd1b398d03c8a735258a03ac.jpg.a8c80d45d3d59754e72adbcc08fc37fa.jpg

Are you a fan of Aliens? 

12 minutes ago, SamT said:

Sorry totally green to all this when you say pinned how exactly do you do this and what glue do you use ? 

I drill a couple of holes into but not through the buffaloe horn screw a couple of short screws in to it then take them out and cut off the heads before glueing them in with epoxy. Once that is all, set, epoxy glue the horn and screws and press into antler. Allow to set then file down and polish. You can use any metal pins but screws just give a little more strength in my experience.

Another good tip for a good fixing of the brass end cap or what ever other material you use is to stabilize the marrow/pith inside the antler, because over time it does breakdown. So you can either drill a few small holes in it about 1mm and pour the really runny super glue over it, not the gel. Or soak it for 24 hours in wood sealer then let it dry obviously remove the sealer from the outside with white spirit . This will set the marrow like wood and give your screws or rods a really good fixing, still use epoxy as you can't beat a chemical and mechanical fixing for strength.. Works really well if you have a fair sized lump of brass on the end.

23 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Another good tip for a good fixing of the brass end cap or what ever other material you use is to stabilize the marrow/pith inside the antler, because over time it does breakdown. So you can either drill a few small holes in it about 1mm and pour the really runny super glue over it, not the gel. Or soak it for 24 hours in wood sealer then let it dry obviously remove the sealer from the outside with white spirit . This will set the marrow like wood and give your screws or rods a really good fixing, still use epoxy as you can't beat a chemical and mechanical fixing for strength.. Works really well if you have a fair sized lump of brass on the end.

Good advice as sometimes it is so soft you have to drill out and glue in a dowel first