Regional foods

Lampwick

Traditionally known as Staffordshire oat cakes, they were are delicacy in the Potteries and Staffordshire.

They are basically a thick cold oat pancake about the size of a dinner plate. They are quite versatile, they can be used in the same way as a ‘Wrap’ with food inside, they can be warmed up and smothered with syrup or honey. Alternatively they can be left on the plate and covered with your bacon and eggs etc. Some use them the same way as Naans.

Interestingly, when I was a college in the potteries in the 1970’s, oatcakes were only baked and sold on a Friday as a treat for the weekend. People used to form long queues at lunchtime when they had been baked, outside their favourite bakers to buy a dozen or so.

They were also incredibly boring and overrated- abit like wraps!

Apart from the Potteries, You sometimes see them for sale in  Sainsbury’s.

18 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

They were also incredibly boring and overrated- abit like wraps.

I beg to differ - they are the food of the gods. There are even 'Oatcake suppers' - although I have never been to one.

There is however, also the Scottish Oatcake - which is essentially a cracker.

My Scottish great Grandmother was incensed to find them in the foreign foods section of a Staffordshire / Cheshire supermarket in the 1960s, and considered it something of a personal insult.

The only filling for oatcakes is bacon and cheese done under the grill. 

1/ Cook bacon 

2/ Place oatcakes under a hot grill for 1 minute. 

3/ Turn oatcakes over and put the grated cheese on the oatcakes then put under the grill until the cheese melts. 

4/ Put the bacon onto each oatcake and brown or red sauce and then roll the oatcake. 

5/ Enjoy. 

How about Curd tarts and thick Eccles cakes. Burning your fingers stealing them off the cooling tray. 

I always visited my mum every Monday evening, she would upset my brother who still lived at home (30 Yr old dole woller) because she would bake me buns or scones and have them ready on a plate with a mug of tea as soon as I rang to say I was popping round. I miss the simple things like that 😞

2 hours ago, amateur said:

Proper Yorkshire pudding, eaten before the meal with a well flavoured (preferably rabbit) gravy, and, if any were left and if you had room for it, cold after the meal with jam on.

A proper kid's fill you up

I remember snagging a young lady on holiday in Corfu many a year ago. She lived near Leeds and I went to visit one weekend. Well on Sunday afternoon her mum was cooking up a roast, I was told to sit up and was presented with a plate of yorkies! I was gobsmacked when they all sat down and started tucking in. Where’s the meat and veg? I thought. 😄 

5 hours ago, washerboy said:

One of my favourite cheap meals. Was one my mum would make us all as kids.Onions and tatties. Slow cooked diced in a frying pan, sometimes we had bacon with it. Black onions taste wonderful but stinks the house out. 

Still have that quite often with whatver else we might be eating for an evening meal, mixed with baked beans ....awesome.  Must be browned in the frying pan  on both sides . Add some cabbge and you have bubble and squeek.  We never waste left overs, they get used for something the next day and that is one way you can do that and enjoy.

1 hour ago, Lampwick said:

I remember snagging a young lady on holiday in Corfu many a year ago. She lived near Leeds and I went to visit one weekend. Well on Sunday afternoon her mum was cooking up a roast, I was told to sit up and was presented with a plate of yorkies! I was gobsmacked when they all sat down and started tucking in. Where’s the meat and veg? I thought. 😄 

Yup, it's after you have had the appetiser ( or in this case appetite killer ) of the Yorkshire Pud that you are presented with a mound of meat and vegetables. My Grandma always did this for Sunday lunch (or dinner, as she called it).

Teesside a Parmo, a chicken or pork escallope with breadcrumbs covered in bechelmel sauce and cheese , other topping can be added much like  pizza toppings.

Not to my liking. 

Another is a Hartlepool steak, a banana.

Yorkshire puddings were eaten before the main meal to fill you up cheaply, less meat and veg needed for the Sunday lunch.