Regional foods

Lampwick

10 hours ago, figgy said:

Teesside a Parmo, a chicken or pork escallope with breadcrumbs covered in bechelmel sauce and cheese , other topping can be added much like  pizza toppings.

Not to my liking. 

Another is a Hartlepool steak, a banana.

Yorkshire puddings were eaten before the main meal to fill you up cheaply, less meat and veg needed for the Sunday lunch. 

Just had a look at The Parmo! I presume it’s followed with a battered Mars bar? 😂

The only one I can think of from northern ireland would be Vegetable Roll. It is about as far from being vegetarian as you can get despite the name vegetable in it.

I don't think many outside northern ireland have come across it but there may be other local variants of it over the rest of Britain as it's a real working class type food.

Consists really of coarse minced fatty beef with possibly leeks and onions and some seasonings, most local butcher's have their own recipes for it. It was one of the cheap meal foods that I was rared on. Being slightly more health conscious now I fry it from the pan cold to render out some fat to cook it nice and crispy, goes with everything from an Ulster fry to chips to spuds and veg. Lovely stuff

On 19/09/2020 at 09:20, PeterHenry said:

I beg to differ - they are the food of the gods. There are even 'Oatcake suppers' - although I have never been to one.

There is however, also the Scottish Oatcake - which is essentially a cracker.

My Scottish great Grandmother was incensed to find them in the foreign foods section of a Staffordshire / Cheshire supermarket in the 1960s, and considered it something of a personal insult.

Yep small biscuits up here and in my view best served with salted butter and thinly sliced smoked goose breast.

17 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I seem to recall a friend’s Mum used to make Lardy Cake, but I cannot remember what part of the country it originates from.

There’s always Gipsy Tart, supposed to be a Kentish thing.

OB

Southern counties of England, including Sussex, Hampshire, Berkshire, Wiltshire, Dorsetand Gloucestershire

On 20/09/2020 at 09:04, Lampwick said:

Just had a look at The Parmo! I presume it’s followed with a battered Mars bar? 😂

That's much further north and over the border. We draw the line at deep fried flattened roadkill with vomit on and grilled to your liking. 😋😂

• 3 months later...

Agree Staffs oatcakes are over rated, not un-nice but really as said just a vessel to old food, how about Wigan kebab or babies head? Do a you tube search their is  Joe video which is funny. Here in Midlands faggots, nive with mash and onion gravey. Blackpool, Taylor pork patties are hard to beat. I do miss a breakfast stotty from wheni lived in Sunderland, although not really breakfast it would see you though the whole day. Corniche pasties from that little shop in use fresh from the oven hard to beat.

Just had massive breakfast but making myself hungry again!