Laptop Help

WelshAndy

1 hour ago, WelshAndy said:

Evening all,

Need a laptop as the youngest has started high school. 
Haven’t got a massive budget and will need Microsoft office etc already installed. 

I’m not clued up on the ins and out of what’s needed sorry - so please help 👍🏻🙈

Thanks

Andy

Andy, 

The biggest issue on cost will. Be software if office is needed. A machine for around £300 will come with enough memory and storage, but only an operating system. Office you can get student edition. 

Just had to do the same thing

went on eBay and got a new Lenovo, didn’t read the small print it came with free DOS! So has to buy windows operations system.

we have office 365 so then put that in as part of a family subscription £70 per year for around 6 machines.

the only good thing was that our computer tech guy said the Lenovo laptop was a good spec.

have bought refurbed in the past but find that aren’t brilliant.

i think the Lenovo with microdot operating started is around £400 off eBay - quite a few sites do 0% payments spread over 3or 4 months, paUp all credit also do the same type of thing.

I had ordered a Hp laptop which was cheaper from Argos via eBay and it didn’t go through properly and then had sold out.

if you want me to find the exact spec let me know.

24 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

Lenovo = IBM so they are a goid bit of kit. 

They are good bits of kit - no doubt there.   

IBM sold the brand to the Chinese a while back - they only let down in UK is the sales channel which is company called Digital River based in Ireland - very difficult to get hold of if you ever have the need to call.

Don't get a Cloudbook if he's in to keeping the laptop longterm as after the first year you pay to use "the Cloud". I bought my six, now seven, year old a new HP with an old school hard disc drive. It'll store all his projects, home videos and whatever else he needs with ease. I used Argos as I'd never never never ever use Curry's/PC World as they are swine with any back up if there is a problem. Best were Staples now sadly now closed. Their no quibble thirty day return was gold standard. The returns policy of Curry's/PC World is the standard of something else that is also often gold coloured. But smells of roses? Or maybe doesn't. Word and paying Microsoft? Try a lifetime Student Licence as he is, after all, a school student or download Open Office for free. Don't get these free for a year Word offers as they aren't worth it. Buy the same machine without that offer if you do have no option then I'd strongly urge to not use that one year Word suite and start off from the get go with Open Office.

Edited by enfieldspares

If you're not too precious about getting new, then consider a refurb unit.  I've used these guys in the past https://www.stonerefurb.co.uk/  Pretty much all the stuff looks good - these are mostly corporate-type devices so pretty robust. Pay attention to the grade of condition. Again, if you are not too precious you can select one that has a few more scuffs and scratches and get a better performance of PC for the price. Try to make sure you get an SSD (Solid State Drive).