Ratchet straps

walshie

Here's my problem.

The short bit of my ratchet strap is too long. When I clip it on the trailer, the ratchet presses against the side of the boat which isn't ideal. By wrapping it round the trailer several times, I can make it so the ratchet is clear of the boat, but it takes ages and lots of swearing to get it to the right length.

I've also got a shorter one which is too long for the job, but too short to wrap round the trailer frame before using it.

Is there a work round for this? I know you can just take the strap off the ratchet with a bolt, but is there somewhere you can buy a replacement short strap with the hook on?

The  blue strap in the blurry photo below is 9" long. Ideally it would be 6 or 7". Any ideas?

20200919_183411.jpg.0e6d37f68fcf354afdd3fb21344c5281.jpg

Some great ideas and offers there. Thanks. Not keen on the idea of cutting, but the caribiner and/or bolt and hook through the same hole are worth a go. i'll give it a bash tomorrow.

Amazing what a fresh set of eyes on a problem can come up with. 👍

Being tight-fisted, I have never bought a strap in my life, but I have a collection of about twelve.

How? - simple, I keep my eyes open and pick them up from the road, where they have fallen off a lorry. Sometimes, the handles have been mangled but by cannibalising two or three, you can easily make a serviceable strap. All you need to do is spot a short strap, the hook is unlikely to be mangled. Industrial Estates are good hunting sites.

That way, you can obtain a number of straps of varying lengths to suit different jobs/trailers.

Happy hunting!

I took the bolt out and threaded it through the same loop as the hook. Now I just have a short tag of strap dangling that I can tuck into the ratchet. I could cut it off but this way I can use the ratchet as normal if required. 

Thanks for the ideas chaps. I do so love free solutions.