Oops! How much?

wymberley

I read the instructions and as there's no easily seen marks on a BSA R-10 I put on a couple of sticky markers as I can't really now rely on having a good grip. Unfortunately, one wasn't sticky enough and fell off. The upshot of it all is that I unscrewed the buddy bottle a bit too far and have rolled (damaged) a seal as advertised. Anyone know how much this is going to cost me?

12 hours ago, snow white said:

If it’s the seal round neck of bottle about 20 p 

Yep hopefully as it's the only one that I disturbed but the first sign of the external leak is around the fill/guage area. I don't know whether or not something internal has rolled.

However, at 04;10 I awoke with the sudden realisation that this was not down to me and I'm pretty sure I know what happened. I'll check it out and will post again when I've got the full story on the cause just in case anyone else has the same rifle and this is not a known problem.

13 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Yep hopefully as it's the only one that I disturbed but the first sign of the external leak is around the fill/guage area. I don't know whether or not something internal has rolled.

However, at 04;10 I awoke with the sudden realisation that this was not down to me and I'm pretty sure I know what happened. I'll check it out and will post again when I've got the full story on the cause just in case anyone else has the same rifle and this is not a known problem.

I hope you got back to sleep😀😀😀

Being second hand, I took the action off the stock just to check that all was well which it was (I thought) and re-assembled, but it was a bit of a fiddle. Having shot it, chose my preferred pellets and set about adjusting the second stage (the first stage  according to the gospel is a no-no) trigger pull. Most will see the advantage of disconnecting a full buddy bottle before pulling the trigger as often as is necessary when doing this job. As it happened, faffing about emptying it might have been better on this occasion. Having damaged something I knocked it on the head as having refitted the bottle I could not re-assemble the gun. Engaged brain. Remove bottle, re-assemble, refit bottle, dis-assemble and check bottle. Loose. The instructions for the bottle's removal will assume that it's tight. If it's a tad loose to start with then the chances of the advertised problem occuring should you in effect exceed the specified amount - as happened to me. Remove bottle, chalk it, refit, remove and sand down the high spot on the stock which was holding it off. Refit and all is well - except for a duff seal.

• 1 month later...

Don't know. I was happy to let Neil Chard get on with it and I've elected to collect it on/after Dec3. If the truth be known, it could well have been sorted under the original warranty, but although I did find a problem I may well have compounded it because of my arthritic grip. If you knock off the VAT and two way delivery and as I know it was an internal seal/s it didn't cost a fortune. Apart from which, BSA have been superb with their handling of another matter.

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

Don't know. I was happy to let Neil Chard get on with it and I've elected to collect it on/after Dec3. If the truth be known, it could well have been sorted under the original warranty, but although I did find a problem I may well have compounded it because of my arthritic grip. If you knock off the VAT and two way delivery and as I know it was an internal seal/s it didn't cost a fortune. Apart from which, BSA have been superb with their handling of another matter.

I hadn't thought of the delivery cost, hopefully everything is sorted when you get it back, great that BSA have handled things well.