Magic Bore Kits

Taileron

Morning all, firstly apologies if this question has been asked before, I have searched for answers but can’t find any information. Has anyone had any experience of using magic bore kits? Are they any good and is one better than the other?

I have switched to 100% fibre wad shooting and the streaking in the barrels is taking some proper elbow grease to remove. My Mk38 is particularly bad, it takes multiple soakings  and rodding with bore cleaner and various brushes after a 100 bird shoot. My other guns seem to be easier to remove the streaking and the magic bore looks (on the video) to be a perfect solution for my 38. I only shoot Lyevale Power reds, which are a nice clean burning cartridge.

Thanks in advance.

If all else fails search for a "Lead Away" cloth and wrap it around a traditional phosphor bronze brush and apply elbow grease.

Or use one of the Payne-Gallwey type brushes which I think are a superior design to the traditional phosphor bronze.

https://www.jsramsbottom.com/bisley-heavy-duty-payne-galway-bronze-wire-brush-12g-20g-shotgun-cleaning.html

https://www.napieruk.com/products/payne-galway-chamber-brush

In Payne-Gallwey's time lead shot was often softer and he designed the brush that still today takes his name to address the problem and remove this leading.

Edited by enfieldspares

There is still at least one Gun Cleaner spray that dissolve leading. The one I use is called "Phillips Gun Barrel Cleaner".

After I have cleaned my Gun in the usual way, if there is still leading in the bore, I give a squirt of Phillips and leave it till after dinner.  Then give another brushing with a bronze brush, and the lead is gone.  Most Gun Cleaner sprays have had the "lead dissolver" removed or at least reduced.  Probably something to do with Health and Safety.

2 hours ago, Taileron said:

I only shoot Lyevale Power reds, which are a nice clean burning cartridge.

I switched from Hull Comp-X to those carts a few weeks ago, when out clay shooting. I found them seriously dirty and hot burning compared to the Hulls. The barrel was getting much hotter than the morning spent with the Comp-X and cleaning seemed a lot more labour intensive than normal

10 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

I switched from Hull Comp-X to those carts a few weeks ago, when out clay shooting. I found them seriously dirty and hot burning compared to the Hulls. The barrel was getting much hotter than the morning spent with the Comp-X and cleaning seemed a lot more labour intensive than normal

When I shoot 50 comp X fibre all my barrels need is a pull through with a bore snake.

Everybody has their own favourite cleaning method but clean is clean no matter what you use. I have a 'magic bore' which I bought when using the Pro Piston 9's which left a residue very hard to shift and the magic bore did the trick at that time. I now have found that a good spray down the bores with balistol and left alone till the rest of the gun is cleaned and then a run through with some rolled up kitchen roll and one of those long fluffy mops and my gun is as clean as I will ever want it to be

My guerini Invectus V, when new, was a nightmare to clean; required the old driver + rod + loads of work to get it sorted.... It took a while, but it's not super easy to clean somehow, with no magic, motors, or drivers. I just now use a chamber brush, and and old (stighly stacked) chamber brush to so the barrels. 10-15 go with the brush with the cleaner, then a clean(ish) bore snake to remove the remaining, and it's all good.

I have no idea if it was the machining, the finish inside or a combination of both, but it DID get much much better, so perhaps don't 'invest' into tons of kit as the problem might just disapear after a few more tousands of shots.

My late octogenarian friend Lord Tom-Noddy of Toyland always maintained that the Krupp barrels of his pair of London made sidelock guns he had inherited from his father were self-cleaning. That there was something in their particular steel. For throughout all of his life when they appeared the next time he used them, after he had handed them to his man at the end of the previous day's shooting, they, no matter how hard they had been used, when he next looked down them would always be spotless. And as he was a kindly old sort, friendly to all, and that belief was sole eccentricity, nobody had the heart to inform him otherwise.

Edited by enfieldspares