177 v 22 rabbits ?

Ferret664

If you had asked this question a few years ago 22 would have come out on top, now 177 is in fashion.

I shot a 22 for years. Have just changed a bought a Hw 97 in 177. There’s nothing in the calibre’s. I have shot one rabbit at 45 yards and one squirrel shooting very fast which I think I may have missed with the 22. But I have also had a few slightly off neck shots which, while the rabbit hasn’t run, it wasn’t instantly killed. I think the 22 would have done the job tbh. I also miss the reassuring thump when the 22 strikes home, you don’t get that with the 177.

I don’t regret the 177 but must say i am slightly disappointed as it doesn’t live up to the hype that some give off about it. Calibre won’t be a deciding factor for me when choosing a new gun in the future. 

From what I have seen folks accuracy will make far more difference than whether they are using this calibre or that calibre. Pick any one rifle and practise hard until you know all the holdovers/unders and windages for one type of ammo and the ranges at which you can consistently repeat to ensure a humane kill - then keep practising. 

Thing is though .when taking about pellet penetration depth there are so many factors to consider that the actual calibre is almost irrelevant  .

Just a small sample of factors to consider before the cal  

Weight .shape .length . Head style .skirt style . Composition .bc. cd.  Velocity .range .

Stu I think that you are getting ahead of yourself with your enthusiasm for all things air rifle in regards to the question asked in this post. Whichever calibre you well know that finding the right ammo is a process that has to be followed to match the individual barrel and that there are plenty of good pellets out there for all calibres. 

On 22/09/2020 at 18:32, bruno22rf said:

I think we should go further and discuss the, so far, unmentioned ROS (rate of spin) or RPM to simplify - surly a higher RPM in .22 would negate any advantage over the diminutive .177 due to the Gyroscopic effect? The twist rate of your barrel, I'm guessing, is a conversation you have yet to have with your local RFD when buying  a Puffgun. Only kidding - but I wouldn't mind a squid for every time this debate has been aired. The correct answer IMHO is either calibre but not both - use one gun and learn to shoot it.

How many guns have you got 🤣🤣

I’ve been trying the JSB Hades in .22. Found they work excellently in both sub 12 and FAC. They certainly have great terminal effect on Squirrels using the sub 12. for head shots. With the FAC I still like heart and lung. They don’t punch straight through and loose all their energy very quickly to good effect. I still prefer the Rimfire for anything over 50m

1 hour ago, Fisheruk said:

I’ve been trying the JSB Hades in .22. Found they work excellently in both sub 12 and FAC. They certainly have great terminal effect on Squirrels using the sub 12. for head shots. With the FAC I still like heart and lung. They don’t punch straight through and loose all their energy very quickly to good effect. I still prefer the Rimfire for anything over 50m

had this convo with local gun shop the hades definitely don’t expand but they do something what it is no idea but they go down like you hit them with a brick 

On 23/09/2020 at 09:54, supatex said:

I read somewhere once that .177 can travel through the target easier often without causing too much damage whereas a .22 tends not to travel through as much causing a quicker kill

Funny you should say that.

I watch a tv show about a retired usa police officer called Homicide Hunter. He said that when he went to a case if the calibre used was small, it was nearly always fatal. The bigger faster calibre's tended to punch a hole straight through which was more survivable. Smaller low velocity rounds like the 22 lr and 25 cal pistol lost velocity too quick and tended to rattle around inside, as he called it ‘were in for the grant tour’.

Edited by zipdog

The Homicide Hunter would only be attending fatalities! Hench his title.

Most small calibre 'homicides' are mutiple shots at point blank range to the brain which does not make for a healthy outcome. 

I don't think a .45acp to the brain would be good for you either.

Yet again it comes back to shot placement, the key to clean kills.

On 24/09/2020 at 22:00, Mice! said:

How many guns have you got 🤣🤣

Mice! You are definitely heading towards being scrubbed from my Glittery Christmas Card list. I only have 2 Airguns and one is just for nostalgia really - 10 shotguns that all shoot pretty much the same and 2 RF Rifles - the .22lr rarely gets used and the .17 isn't really fussy what stands in it's way nor how far away it is!

31 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Mice! You are definitely heading towards being scrubbed from my Glittery Christmas Card list. I only have 2 Airguns and one is just for nostalgia really - 10 shotguns that all shoot pretty much the same and 2 RF Rifles - the .22lr rarely gets used and the .17 isn't really fussy what stands in it's way nor how far away it is!

😄😄😄

Whats a Rabbit? That long since I have seen one!

I have .177 sub 12 , and a .22 FAC . The FAC is set to the same speed and zero'd at the same range as the .177, using 14.5 JSB Exacts.

Just like , my crossbow bolts, shot  from the same crossbow (Excalibur Matrix) , the larger diameter diameter bolts penetrate the same 3D Target, less than the thinner bolts. 

As previously said , Its shot placement that is the most important thing . You always have the option 'not ' to shoot unless your certain, and I mean absolutely certain , one shot= one kill.

• 4 weeks later...