Cartridges - tips and advice

Spectra76

Hi there me again, now that I have decided the shotgun and awaiting application process the next piece of advice that I would benefit from is thoughts on cartridges, weights make and anything else useful really. Mainly clay pigeon shooting at the moment until I see how we get on. I realise that this is a rather broad topic and appreciate it will come down to personal choice but always good to get opinions.

Cheers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll get a ton of opinions...this is a can of worms!

It sounds like you are starting out, honest advice based on my own experience - by whatever is cheapest.  It is unlikely that you will miss a target because the cartridge wasn't good enough - you will have missed because the lead was in the wrong place in the sky.

Much of the stuff we think about cartridges - is just a head-game, especially at the beginning.  Just enjoy it - missing with an 18p cartridge is slightly more bearable than missing with a 25p one!

5 minutes ago, Cosmicblue said:

You'll get a ton of opinions...this is a can of worms!

It sounds like you are starting out, honest advice based on my own experience - by whatever is cheapest.  It is unlikely that you will miss a target because the cartridge wasn't good enough - you will have missed because the lead was in the wrong place in the sky.

Much of the stuff we think about cartridges - is just a head-game, especially at the beginning.  Just enjoy it - missing with an 18p cartridge is slightly more bearable than missing with a 25p one!

Thank you - that makes complete sense lol and very good advice. Well dive in and see what suits .

It's difficult to buy a poor cartridge nowadays.

Check where you're likely to shoot to see if there are any restrictions on plastic wads, then pick a relatively cheap shell and buy loads of them.

If you've an auto, just choose the cheapest you can get. If something else, then it may be worth spending a bit more on something like Comp X, as the real cheap Velocity offerings can sometimes be fierce on the recoil.

Bottom line is never worry about the cartridge as it'll always be better than you are!

Edited by Smokersmith

eley first select 24 grams plastic or fiber - cheapest of the eley range of very soft on the shoulder - go for 8's - good enough for all disciplines and out to middle distance.  Should be about £185 per thousand.

Another option - if you are shooting on a ground that allows them is some steel shot ones although I seem to remember that these have increase in price - they were going for under £150 for 1000 and I bought 9's for skeet practice and found them to be decent enough that I would shoot them in a comp.

Cheers

Bob

Guest cookoff013

this is a can of worms.

look, it seems the world is going lead free. might it be worth trying steel shot cartridges? 

for skeet steel 9s are beyond exellent.

for sporting 28g #7.5 is the ticket, but i`ve used these interchangeable

Buy a cheap, generic clay cartridge. Your clay ground will let you know the best value choice.

And don’t obsess about chokes, either. A lot of shooters constantly change these, looking for excuses as to why they’re missing targets. Concentrate on your technique at the beginning but most importantly- Just enjoy the sport, whether casual shooting or competition further down the line.

Just find one you like, can afford and is readily available locally or at your shooting venue. Then stick with it! I've shot the same clays in a morning and an afternoon, changing carts half way through and found they shoot very differently. I try to stick to Comp X at the min. I know I can get them, they're cheap enough and I'm happy with the way they shoot.

Edited by Demonic69

18 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

As OPP says hull comp x . My wife, and my pals wife both have the ATA but in an ally action so a bit lighter.  They shoot the comp x 7.5 in28 gram . Not sure who would be your supplier in Ireland  , we buy 1000 at a time from Justcartridges  at £15 delivery .

Hello, my O/U is a light weight game gun and I use a range of 28g 7.5s , I also use more choke to get the 7.5s pattern to near a 6 shot pattern at 30/35 yards, I don't shoot clays

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, my O/U is a light weight game gun and I use a range of 28g 7.5s , I also use more choke to get the 7.5s pattern to near a 6 shot pattern at 30/35 yards, I don't shoot clays

OPP, 7 1/2s will put far more pellets in a pattern than 6 shot at any range, so you therefore need LESS choke with 7 1/2 shot to equal a 6 shot pattern count.

As a novice, the only difference you will realistically see in cartridges is the price. Find a cheap easily accessible 28g fibre wad cartridge in 7.5 and stick with it.

Ignore all the marketing ploys, ignore shot speed, ignore different shot size for different targets - just stick with a cheap readily available cartridge. Thinking about the rest will be counter productive for a novice.

Don't be thinking that a faster cartridge is better. Some would say a slower cartridge will pattern better and swapping speeds may lower your score.

If you are missing (or hitting) the targets, it will have nothing to do with the cartridge and all to do with you.

Only think about changing your cartridge if you have recoil issues, your gun doesn't like the specific cartridge, or where\what you are shooting stipulates a different cartridge.

Swapping and changing all the time can negatively effect your score, and play havoc with your mental game.

get the cheapest cartridges of the given weight you want - they all break clays. If you like 28g then get the cheapest 28g cartridges you can. If you miss it *is* you its not the cartridge/gun/choke/wind/coriolis effect/global warming etc its you 

lastly when you find a cartridge you like buy a fair few - saves on shoe leather and then you always have cartridges