Buying a Ride-on Mower - Advice please

Demonic69

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a an 1990s Westwood T1400. It is a bit tatty, have to hotwire it to start it but runs well. Cut through 3/4 acre of 10" + grass at the weekend just had to take it slow. I've had to repair the grass box with an old metal shelf and replace the sweeper brushes. Picks up grass well, does stripes if that's your thing. You can get wood chippers etc for it if you want.

i think most make ride on mowers are ok ...............as long as they have a reconised good engine....not a copy ......Honda....Briggs..(the newer ones are fine..in the old days 20 years ago they had a poor reputation)...Tecumsah...some of the "V" twin engines run soooo sweet......most of the engagement clutches are now electric/magnetic...proberly better to go for a known make 2nd hand...than something new you have never heard of........

There seem to be a few MTD Lawnflite around for the right money. There's a Westwood T1800 V-Twin that I like the looks of, but it might be a bit big for the garden.

I've only got this much to cut for now (If we do get the house) but the prospect of the extra land has me plotting :)Willows.JPG.cebc5b116e38661c488ed367b00c37ac.JPG

Cheers for the replies guys

1 hour ago, Demonic69 said:

There seem to be a few MTD Lawnflite around for the right money. There's a Westwood T1800 V-Twin that I like the looks of, but it might be a bit big for the garden.

I've only got this much to cut for now (If we do get the house) but the prospect of the extra land has me plotting :)Willows.JPG.cebc5b116e38661c488ed367b00c37ac.JPG

Cheers for the replies guys

looks as if the grass has been cut too short with a blunt blade....and it needs fertilizer...........

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

looks as if the grass has been cut too short with a blunt blade....and it needs fertilizer...........

I'm not sure who's cutting it at the minute, possibly the estate agent. The brown bit is by the fence with lots of overhanging trees, not sure if it'll get any better. The rest of the lawn will be a baptism of fire for me, I'm used to just cutting it and not worrying about it. Currently we have all artificial grass, so simples!

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

Surely fertiliser will just make the grass grow again quicker, and then you have to cut it more often. Are you nuts?

often where the grass goes brown near hedges and trees ..is a result of 

1. lack of water
  2. lack of fertilizor due to all the goodness has been sucked out of the soil
  3. extra cutting of grass means you are not faffing about doing her bloody DIY and putting yet more bloody shelves up

17 minutes ago, ditchman said:

often where the grass goes brown near hedges and trees ..is a result of 

1. lack of water
  2. lack of fertilizor due to all the goodness has been sucked out of the soil
  3. extra cutting of grass means you are not faffing about doing her bloody DIY and putting yet more bloody shelves up

To be honest, my “lawn” is probably best described as a patch of grass.  
In fact I am so disinterested in grass I don’t care what shade it is just so long as it stops growing. All my “gardening” is done with an engine, i.e. mower and hedge cutter.

edit: what’s DIY?

Edited by London Best

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

To be honest, my “lawn” is probably best described as a patch of grass.  
In fact I am so disinterested in grass I don’t care what shade it is just so long as it stops growing. All my “gardening” is done with an engine, i.e. mower and hedge cutter.

edit: what’s DIY?

a proper man...:lol:

im more of a "slash and burn chap"

Edited by ditchman

I always wanted a large garden when I lived in city's. Moving to the country we bought a very large plot. It's lovely and full of wildlife. It is also a huge PITA as going away for even a few days can leave me with a major clearance job as the grass is too long to mulch and needs to be taken off. The amount of grass is huge even if my Honda HF2417 can easily collect it I am left with a small mountain of grass that is hard to get rid of. I have just traded all of the problem and the usual 6 hours a week of work to my new mower giving me more time to go out and play. 

20200924_171603.jpg