Getting inked.

fatchap

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Why if it is that person's choice to have a "Stupid" tattoo on their forehead?

Why should 'society' judge that to be unacceptable? If it is the individual's choice, it does not take advantage of anyone else against their will, why is it unacceptable?

We might think it is actually stupid, in this example I do too, but it's wrong to say that it is socially unacceptable.

Society may look at middle aged to older men, in the majority, wearing tweed, clinging to old traditions and shooting animals for fun as being totally unacceptable; It perhaps, increasingly, is doing exactly that.

That's the problem when we make statements based on nothing other than subjective consideration of our own very narrow point of view on what is acceptable or otherwise.

You misunderstand my meaning. I did not mean the ‘stupid’ was unacceptable, but all tattoos. Just my opinion, and a large part of the rest of society.

44 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Why if it is that person's choice to have a "Stupid" tattoo on their forehead?

Why should 'society' judge that to be unacceptable? If it is the individual's choice, it does not take advantage of anyone else against their will, why is it unacceptable?

We might think it is actually stupid, in this example I do too, but it's wrong to say that it is socially unacceptable.

Society may look at middle aged to older men, in the majority, wearing tweed, clinging to old traditions and shooting animals for fun as being totally unacceptable; It perhaps, increasingly, is doing exactly that.

That's the problem when we make statements based on nothing other than subjective consideration of our own very narrow point of view on what is acceptable or otherwise.

Graham, I admire the chaps honesty, and he demonstrates substantially poor judgement in his choice.

One question, would you employ him?

1 hour ago, London Best said:

You misunderstand my meaning. I did not mean the ‘stupid’ was unacceptable, but all tattoos. Just my opinion, and a large part of the rest of society.

Ah OK, all tattoos are socially unacceptable?

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Graham, I admire the chaps honesty, and he demonstrates substantially poor judgement in his choice.

One question, would you employ him?

Depends on the job he would be doing Dave.

I have employed plenty people with tattoos, including head and neck ones, although admittedly never one with "Stupid" inked on their head.  I did employ a guy who had "Made in Scotland" tattooed on his napper, he was a welder in a fab shop.

If he was client facing then that would have been different, so horses for courses really.

59 minutes ago, London Best said:

We are all entitled to an opinion Sir,  me included.

You're absolutely right, everyone is entitled to an opinion, however not everyone's opinion is of equal worth or merit.  I may be as bold to say that airing ill considered and poorly conceived opinion in a public forum should not be socially acceptable.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Because they are not socially acceptable!

Men in tweed shooting animals for fun is not socially acceptable, discuss.

Same principle applies, when someone makes a subjective consideration of what is acceptable or not based on their own very narrow value system there is a potential consequence.  We the shooting community are living breathing evidence of that right now and we don't half crow about how those making the judgement are too ignorant to bother trying to understand.  Yet here we are doing the exact same thing.

You'd think that we might be savvy enough to draw a parallel of why being judgemental of others, with whom we might not agree or understand, is really a bit backwards.

People being dismissive and judgemental about others with tattoos is far more socially corrosive than those who have tattoos.

1 hour ago, grrclark said:

People being dismissive and judgemental about others with tattoos is far more socially corrosive than those who have tattoos.

In your opinion, of course.

Nevertheless, London Best has claimed in other posts that if you use genuine Land Rover parts they don't leak.  This makes him a bounder and a cad in my opinion. 😁

My sister, who is many respects very different from me, has a lot of tattoos.  She was surprised when she visited the more...conservative parts of the USA that she didn't quite the sterling customer service the majority of us receive when we go there.

I'm not entirely sure what she was expecting.

And she does complain about being awfully hot when she is obliged to cover all her visible tattoos at work. 

No thanks, no tattoos for me

Edited by udderlyoffroad

My upbringing, training and career has been to follow the family profession, to become an aesthete. I see beauty in form and craftsmanship - I dislike decoration and ornamentation, be that on a gun or woman. To my eye a beautifully grained piece of wood cut and finished to show that is fantastic, it shows years of growth and development then craftsmanship to finish. A laser etched Beretta (such as mine) is ugly as it is applied rather than inherent. A game scene often ruins a gun for me. A jacket is beautiful because of its cut, material and craft - not its lurid pattern. Architecture ain’t paint. Overt decoration without purpose detracts rather than enhances beauty.

What I see as beauty is no more valid or greater than yours. Their is no hierarchy to taste, just a celebration of difference. 

Edited by WalkedUp

7 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

In your opinion, of course.

Nevertheless, London Best has claimed in other posts that if you use genuine Land Rover parts they don't leak.  This makes him a bounder and a cad in my opinion. 😁

My sister, who is many respects very different from me, has a lot of tattoos.  She was surprised when she visited the more...conservative parts of the USA that she didn't quite the sterling customer service the majority of us receive when we go there.

I'm not entirely sure what she was expecting.

And she does complain about being awfully hot when she is obliged to cover all her visible tattoos at work. 

No thanks, no tattoos for me

I think that history bears reasonable testimony that the people who take polarised stances towards are very often the more corrosive elements, but none the less yes it is of course an opinion.

Odd that your sisters experience around tattoos in the US has been like that, i have found that even in the rather paranoid bible belt states that most don't really care about tatt's.

4 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

My upbringing, training and career has been to follow the family profession, to become an aesthete. I see beauty in form and craftsmanship - I dislike decoration and ornamentation, be that on a gun or woman. To my eye a beautifully grained piece of wood is fantastic, it shows years of growth and development then craftsmanship to finish. A laser etched Beretta (such as mine) is ugly as it is applied rather than inherent. A game scene often ruins a gun for me. A jacket is beautiful because of its cut, material and craft - not its lurid pattern. Architecture ain’t paint. Overt decoration without purpose detracts rather than enhances beauty.

What I see as beauty is no more valid or greater than yours. Their is no hierarchy to taste, just a celebration of difference. 

I could not agree more.  The fact that people do or don't like tattoos is completely personal to them, as is ones perception of beauty or style.  I simply think it is wrong to make broad brush judgemental remarks on others because it doesn't fit with your perception.

Within your field of work some see 'brutalist' architecture as beauty of form and function over the aesthetic appeal, some see the ornate and highly figured gothic style as beauty, others think art deco is the pinnacle of style and form, others like the plainness and modernity of the Bauhaus school.  FLW's prairie style is perhaps my favourite.

Thank goodness we are not all the same otherwise we would never progress or become enriched.  Thank goodness we have learned to be less judgemental with architecture and rather see that as evolution and progression and celebrate the differences as you suggest, pity we seem much less able to apply it to people and individual choice without letting other's choices offend our sensitivities.