Getting inked.

fatchap

21 minutes ago, grrclark said:

Dave, it shows great strength of character to admit to your failings and accept when you're wrong.  Well done on showing great strength of character

Graham, I don't mind anyone having a tattoo or multiple tattoos, but they have to accept that not everyone will appreciate their choice. They have to accept that their choice might not fit in with employers offering employment. They have to accept that people may make a judgement because of what is showing when they are fully clothed. 

My strength of character remains strong, oh and I really do admire some of the wonderful artwork on peoples skin. Some years ago, a chap I was jumping out of aircraft with had a recently completed Red Indian Chief in full headdress on his shoulder, it was exceptional. It was his only tattoo and he was adamant that it would remain his only tattoo. Consequently it was good and not crowded like some do to fill the bare skin and devalue the effect. 

One last point if I may; what makes a person have a possibly wonderful looking tattoo in a place they cannot see?

Personal choice should rule and so should other peoples personal choice to make a judgement.

Oh and of course, when it goes wrong it really should be photographed and the images spread around for all to see.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Tight choke your mention of a red Indian chief reminds me of a guy in my mess when in the RN had just the outline of a red Indian with full headdress on his chest. He said that it hurt so much he would never have it filled in!. Most interesting one also a sailor was the full fox and hounds. Starting at his groin and going up his chest and over the shoulder and down his back was mounted hunters and dogs with the foxes tail disappearing up his bum. Tats in those days were nowhere near as fine as todays.

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Graham, I don't mind anyone having a tattoo or multiple tattoos, but they have to accept that not everyone will appreciate their choice. They have to accept that their choice might not fit in with employers offering employment. They have to accept that people may make a judgement because of what is showing when they are fully clothed. 

My strength of character remains strong, oh and I really do admire some of the wonderful artwork on peoples skin. Some years ago, a chap I was jumping out of aircraft with had a recently completed Red Indian Chief in full headdress on his shoulder, it was exceptional. It was his only tattoo and he was adamant that it would remain his only tattoo. Consequently it was good and not crowded like some do to fill the bare skin and devalue the effect. 

One last point if I may; what makes a person have a possibly wonderful looking tattoo in a place they cannot see?

Personal choice should rule and so should other peoples personal choice to make a judgement.

Oh and of course, when it goes wrong it really should be photographed and the images spread around for all to see.

Absolutely Dave, people should always be free to make a choice based on their value system.  As i said previously some like tattoos and some don't and that is absolutely fine.

Why do some have great ink work that they can't look at directly?  Because it is for them to know it is there and maybe to show to others.

I genuinely do not care what people might think of my tatt's or me for having them, if people want to judge me they can crack on as it makes zero difference to me.  If there was a prejudicial outcome to me from that then I may care, it really would depend on what that outcome was.

I think that there is, broadly, an acceptance that the nature of any tattoo may preclude certain types of employment or provoke an unfavourable reaction in someone else, we live in a judgemental society after all.  I think that we are moving on however and in general the attitude to tattoos is much more liberal than it used to be, they were once the preserve of either sailors or criminals in the minds of some.

We also used to be very judgemental about blacks and immigrants, 'no dogs, no blacks, no irish' being famously referenced in the late 50's and 60's.  Thankfully we have moved on from that too... or then again 🤔

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

these are my honest opinions on the tattoo malarky , and i can hopefully answer a couple of your questions dave.

people that have tats , dont judge people for not having them , and if a person doesnt like my tats  and judges me  , then the problem is theirs , their opinion has no relevance to me whatsoever , but , i wouldnt judge them for not liking them , or not having any .

employers that wouldnt employ someone with tats , are employers that might be missing out massively , people that get inked are just like any other employee , only they have more imagination and spirit.

i only have tats that can be covered , not because im ashamed of them , but sometimes they need to be hidden from small minded bigots that may judge me , to my detriment .

all of my tats are very personal to me , i have my childrens names that i carry with me every minute of my life , i have lins and my name with our wedding rings , i have "memento mori" to remind me not to be a big head , and remind me that im no better than anyone else , and ill die just the same as everyone else will , i have "carpe diem , to remind me to just do it , i have a green man(spirit of nature) as ive spent most of my life outdoors in the countryside ,    i have a memorial tattoo for my late wife , that i will carry with me until i draw my last breath , its a large cross , with angels wings , a broken heart ,  and a pink ribbon . 

when my first wife passed away , many female friends and relatives had a small memorial tattoo on the inside of their wrist , each one of them had the letter c(cheryl) , and a pink ribbon. each design was individual , and done by my late wifes brother(a tattoo artist) , most of the ladies(two of them school teachers) had no other tattoos before or since.

on the subject of tats that i cant see , i have a black tribal dog on the back of each forearm , i had them when i had pretty bad depression after losing my first wife , it felt like no matter were i looked , the black dogs were always watching me , i decided to have them tattoed on the back of my arms so that i dont have to look at them any more , unless i choose to do so . the tattooist did me the very great favour of doing the tats , then going over them again while they were still raw ,  bleeding , and painful(pain can sometimes be your friend) .

people should be judged on their actions in life  , not the colour of the coat theyre wearing .:good:

11 hours ago, grrclark said:

I found that the closer to the back of the knee the more uncomfortable it was, but generally i didn't find my calfs to be any worse.  Everyone is different though.

I spoke to a lass who had steampunk style hinges tattooed behind her knees, very cool tatt's actually, i complimented her on being able to take that, as I really don't think i could, and she thought they were easy compared to her back.

One thing I have found is that if i am cold or tired then I defo feel the burn that bit more.

True that :D

Dave, it shows great strength of character to admit to your failings and accept when you're wrong.  Well done on showing great strength of character

Defiantly more tender towards the knee ,was same on front when I had this done 

2A70D809-D7BD-4418-A3C1-D47941E107A2.jpeg

I had my first tat done on my 61st birthday. Absolutely no pain and I hardly felt the needle. It took around 2 hours due to the design, shading and he also used white ink as well as blue to make subtle highlights. He used some kind of new cream on it and it healed up within a week, no itching. I rubbed Aloe Vera on it when I remembered. I'm in the process of designing another with the tattoo artists input which will be a shotgun crossed over a fishing rod.

This picture is the day after it was done. 

20200930_085309.jpg

2 hours ago, Centrepin said:

I had my first tat done on my 61st birthday. Absolutely no pain and I hardly felt the needle. It took around 2 hours due to the design, shading and he also used white ink as well as blue to make subtle highlights. He used some kind of new cream on it and it healed up within a week, no itching. I rubbed Aloe Vera on it when I remembered. I'm in the process of designing another with the tattoo artists input which will be a shotgun crossed over a fishing rod.

This picture is the day after it was done. 

Sometimes it is like that and you hardly feel anything, just a bit scratchy.  Good on you for getting it done too.

That particular tattoo is one that has to be earned and not just inked.